PDA

View Full Version : No more "fix it" shops

Perry Hilbert Jr
07-28-2018, 1:29 PM
I have two very old work horse power tools. A Millers Falls 1/2 hp electric drill and an old Skil worm drive saw. The cords have cracked due to age. I have already had the cord on the drill replaced twice, but the fix it shops are gone by the wayside, a distant memory of Mayberry past. I tried the vacuum cleaner shop. He won't touch them. The hardware store that did lamp and other simple repairs folded up shop 10 years ago. They are really heavy cords compared to what is available in the box stores and hardware stores. Guess I am gonna have to order the parts and try to fix them my self.

Tom Bender
07-28-2018, 2:10 PM
Go for it, not difficult if you can get the parts.

Osvaldo Cristo
07-28-2018, 2:14 PM
My suggestion is to look for *authorized* repair shop for a big name on tools. I mean a third part service provider, not a brand owned shop.

I found a few near home. I went to a DeWalt authorized service provider and after some conversations with the owner he gladly also repaired the cord from my Porter Cable old router besides the equally old DeWalt power saw power cable.

Good luck.

Jim Koepke
07-28-2018, 2:43 PM
There are less and less people wanting to do small appliance repair. The other problem is there are more and more manufacturers making small appliances that are not made to be repaired.

When my old Makita portable drill died, the switch that failed would have cost as much as a new unit.

One of my old swing arm desk lamps has had the switch flake out twice. Both times it was repaired with pieces of brass rod in my shop. Took less time than driving into town to buy a new socket w/switch. It was made before 'disposable' became standard. The socket is ceramic and can take a higher wattage bulb. Though incandescent lamps in those wattages are no longer available.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
07-28-2018, 8:10 PM
With labor rates around $75 per hour, the labor far exceeds the value of the tool. When I took my 40 year old B&D angle grinder in, first I was told "no parts available. Checked Dewalt's web site and verified by phone that all parts are available. Repair center had all but one part in stock, and could have the other the next day. They offered to sell me a new one for half MSRP. The half off MSRP is greater than half pf the actual selling price, so I would be better off just going to BORGS and buy a new one. Was severely chastised on two different web sites (here and elsewhere) for wanting to get my angle grinder repaired under B&D's written repair policy.

Lee Schierer
07-28-2018, 9:33 PM
Most folks don't want to pay the labor charge to take something apart to determine what is wrong and the shops don't want to waste their time taking something apart only to find out it can't be fixed or the part is no longer available or will cost more than the customer wants to spend on an old appliance or tool. We have a vacuum shop here in town that repairs household vacuum cleaners. They charge $40 just to investigate your problem whether they fix it or not. Most folks, just walk away when they hear that.

I still do most of my own repairs and fix things when I can buy the needed parts for a reasonable price.

Doug Garson
07-28-2018, 10:09 PM
If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. When a tool is mass produced in a highly automated shop in a country with low labor rates and low overhead cost and few regulations to protect the environment or the labor force how can you afford to repair it in a low volume, non automated shop with high labor rates high overhead and regulations that protect the environment and the worker? Oh, and did I mention the tool was probably not designed with maintainability in mind. Much of that probably doesn't apply to the OP's tools but explains why there isn't a repair shop on every corner.

Replacing a power cord is pretty straightforward and if the OP can't find a suitable cord at the Borg (which I doubt, a 12 or 14 gauge extension cord should work for a 1/2 HP say 10 amp draw) then try an electrical supply store. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, consider posting your location and perhaps a fellow forum member can help out.

Mel Fulks
07-28-2018, 11:39 PM
A lot of the stuff that used to get fixed in repair shops was stuff people today just don't want. I've seen sewing machines for 5 and ten dollars that worked,people just don't want them. I remember an aunt who got her waffle iron repaired. My wife won't make waffles. We have a fine waffle iron ,but I have to eat eggos. Sad

Jim Koepke
07-29-2018, 1:49 AM
There is at least one sewing machine repair shop in my area.

Others have gone the way of what used to be many typewriter repair shops. Some folks still like using a typewriter for addressing envelopes.

TV and radio repair shops used to be all over the place, not much anymore.

There may be a few shoe repair shops still around, but people are more in to the latest celebrity endorsed shoe that is not made to be repaired.

Every gas station used to have a mechanic or two. Now they have people who don't pump gas (Oregon and New Jersey excepted) and can barely make the correct change.

Even the number of auto repair shops has diminished.

Remember the speed shops and carburetor shops? Just when I was getting good at rebuilding carburetors and voltage regulators the industry changed to fuel injection and alternators that used solid state regulators.

What about tailor shops that would make a suit to fit and repair or resize an older suit?

Has anyone darned a sock since the 1950s?

Remember when your mom patched your jeans?

One that still exists, but not as much as many years ago, is bicycle repair shops. (again except in Oregon)

We used to live in a world of go out and get. Now it is a world of order and wait for delivery.

The times they are a changing. (Bob Dylan said that)

jtk

greg Forster
07-29-2018, 6:28 AM
I repair alot of equipment “in-house”;
everything from a couple of early 1980s Troybilt Horse tillers to1960sBriggs&Stratton engines to 1990s Milwaukee sanders

eReplacementParts is my go-to parts
source; they have even called me on the phone to clarify Model/serial #s

Highly recommended...

roger wiegand
07-29-2018, 7:16 AM
The speed controller on my older Bosch 6" ROS went bad, so the sander wouldn't run. I never needed, wanted, or used said speed controller in the first place. Sent it back to Bosch factory service. Was told that the part was not available. To add insult to injury, they returned it in pieces with parts missing and vandalized it by cutting the power cord off where it enters the tool.

I never did figure out whether wiring around the speed control was an option, bought a Mirka sander instead I was so peeved with Bosch.

Sometimes you can't get service even when you're willing to pay the $75/hr.

Charlie Hinton
07-29-2018, 10:39 AM
If all the tools need is a new cord that's something you can easily accomplish.
Just go to the big box store of your preference and buy a 25' heavy duty extension cord and an additional plug.
Chop the extension cord to the length you desire on the plug end and install that on your tool.
Chop off the receptacle on the other end of the cord and install the plug.
Install that cord on your other tool.
it will cost under $40 all in.

The 14 gauge cord is more than enough and cheaper, but if you said you wanted heavy duty.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25-ft-12-3-Indoor-Outdoor-Extension-Cord-Red-and-Black-647-123025H31/302877744

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Pass-and-Seymour-15-Amp-125-Volt-NEMA-5-15-Dead-Front-Straight-Blade-Plug-Black-5276BKCC15/202664499

Jim Becker
07-29-2018, 11:00 AM
Aside from the dynamic of "disposable" products these days, the lack of training or lack of emphasis on trade training isn't going to help these kinds of businesses to continue into the future as the older, experienced folks retire, at least from an independent small business perspective. I'm sure that there will still be manufacturer authorized repair centers, but I doubt they will be doing much for the less expensive products that seem to prevail in the marketplace given parts and labor (in particular) will quickly exceed replacement cost for many products.

Fortunately, the older, quality tools that many of us own are relatively easy to work on, so replacing things like cords is a doable job at home.

michael langman
07-29-2018, 11:02 AM
Perry, If you have a good hardware store in the area,they may fix the drill for you. Some hardware stores have technicians that work on various other things and would probably do it.

Dave Lehnert
07-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Aside from the dynamic of "disposable" products these days, the lack of training or lack of emphasis on trade training isn't going to help these kinds of businesses to continue into the future as the older, experienced folks retire, at least from an independent small business perspective. I'm sure that there will still be manufacturer authorized repair centers, but I doubt they will be doing much for the less expensive products that seem to prevail in the marketplace given parts and labor (in particular) will quickly exceed replacement cost for many products.

Fortunately, the older, quality tools that many of us own are relatively easy to work on, so replacing things like cords is a doable job at home.

This past spring I purchased a new garden tiller. When I received it, the handle had been damaged in shipping. Nothing major but I was concerned with the pounding a tiller takes and the handle would break in two. I contacted the manufacture and sent photos with the damage. Requested they send me a new handle. I would replace it myself and done.
After a week I was kinda upset because they did not respond back. A few days later to my surprise a brand new tiller (Not just a handle) was sitting at my house delivered by UPS. Never a word from the company.
My guess it is cheaper for them to send a new unit vs fooling with a return or service center charging for repair

glenn bradley
07-29-2018, 11:38 AM
In the vein of the absence of trade shops, it took me months to find a shoe shop that could stitch on new leather soles for a pair of dress shoes. Work boot repair? No problem. When is that last time you passed a shop with "T.V Repair" in the window? The world moves on. :)

Dan Friedrichs
07-29-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm all for repairing when possible (I put a new cord on a $19 rice cooker that has already lasted me 10 years...), but I don't understand trying to repair an old drill. I wouldn't want to use a 20-year-old drill, because the ergonomics, power, compactness, and usability have improved so dramatically since then that a broken cord, to me, would be a great excuse to buy a new one and benefit from all that innovation.

Mel Fulks
07-29-2018, 1:02 PM
Dan, in regard to compactness,the old guys I worked with many years ago always called electric drills "drill motors". They
actually powered other tools sold without motors. I'm betting they would not meet your ergonomic standards.

David Bassett
07-29-2018, 1:04 PM
Let me mention:

iFixIt (https://www.ifixit.com/)

which mostly focuses on electronics, but still serves as an antidote to disposable products. Here's more:

Popular Science article (https://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-03/history-teardown-need-see-our-gear-undressed)

Brian Henderson
07-29-2018, 1:04 PM
I do all of my own repairs, except if it's under warranty. Otherwise, it's just not worth the time and money to take it to someone else when I could have it done myself in half the time at half the cost.

Simon MacGowen
07-29-2018, 6:51 PM
After a week I was kinda upset because they did not respond back. A few days later to my surprise a brand new tiller (Not just a handle) was sitting at my house delivered by UPS. Never a word from the company.
My guess it is cheaper for them to send a new unit vs fooling with a return or service center charging for repair

Or, someone made a clerical/entry mistake and sent you the whole thing instead of a parts. That happened once when I was supposed to receive a replacement parts for a new item, but got delivered the item in a new box. When I called, they found out they made a mistake due to order entry error. They sent Fedex to take it back.

I had also received an order with 6 units of what I ordered instead of 1, because whoever did the picking mistook the box had one unit in it. I was told to keep them all as return shipping would have cost them more!

When you have workers who don't pay attention or don't care, your business costs go up, and the annual inventory taking will show large dependencies.

Simon

Bruce Wrenn
07-29-2018, 7:57 PM
I'm all for repairing when possible (I put a new cord on a $19 rice cooker that has already lasted me 10 years...), but I don't understand trying to repair an old drill. I wouldn't want to use a 20-year-old drill, because the ergonomics, power, compactness, and usability have improved so dramatically since then that a broken cord, to me, would be a great excuse to buy a new one and benefit from all that innovation.Sometimes, the improvements aren't worth it. My 40 B&D industrial angle grinder uses exact same parts as current production model. Only now the case is made cheaper, as Dewalt tools are now "throw aways."

Perry Hilbert Jr
07-29-2018, 9:03 PM
That old drill is no ordinary $50 wonder from Sears. It has several features todays drills simply do not have. The gear drive is awesome. I drilled 2 inch holes through 8 inch oak beams and it never slowed down. It has both the saw handle grip and the side knob for gripping as well as a stud for stationary mount (I have the mount block) so it can be bench mounted for use as a grinder, etc. I checked the prices of today's half HP 5/8 inch drills. I am not spending $350 for a new drill. For run of the mill jobs, I use a Dewalt cordless or a 3/8 corded Milwaukee, for those few times a year, I need to do some serious boring, the old Millers Falls gets dusted off.

Charlie Hinton
07-29-2018, 9:13 PM
Are you located in Dallas, Texas ?

Perry Hilbert Jr
07-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Sometimes, I wish I was. But no, I am on the fringes of the greater northeastern megopolis. Trying hard to stave off the urban forces of evil. (I am 50 miles North of Baltimore)

Bill Dufour
07-30-2018, 12:09 PM
I have read that many big screen tv's that lose the picture are an easy fix. either replace a few capacitors or a led lamp that illuminates the entire screen. Many folks rather then troubleshoot replace both as long as the device is opened.
Modern Tv's no longer need cheater cords to test them. the power cord stays attached even when you open them up. To me this says makers are not concerned that buyers will open them up to see what went wrong.
Bill D.

Stan Calow
07-30-2018, 12:20 PM
just wait until the local hardware stores are all gone and you'll have to order all your parts through Amazon for drone delivery.

Doug Garson
07-30-2018, 12:22 PM
If all the tools need is a new cord that's something you can easily accomplish.
Just go to the big box store of your preference and buy a 25' heavy duty extension cord and an additional plug.
Chop the extension cord to the length you desire on the plug end and install that on your tool.
Chop off the receptacle on the other end of the cord and install the plug.
Install that cord on your other tool.
it will cost under $40 all in.

The 14 gauge cord is more than enough and cheaper, but if you said you wanted heavy duty.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25-ft-12-3-Indoor-Outdoor-Extension-Cord-Red-and-Black-647-123025H31/302877744

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Pass-and-Seymour-15-Amp-125-Volt-NEMA-5-15-Dead-Front-Straight-Blade-Plug-Black-5276BKCC15/202664499
I've done almost exactly that except I bought a 10m (30 ft) cord and extra plug. Cut the length of cord I wanted for my band saw with the plug and installed the extra plug on the remainder and I have a 6m (18 ft) extension cord.

Brian Henderson
07-30-2018, 1:18 PM
I have read that many big screen tv's that lose the picture are an easy fix. either replace a few capacitors or a led lamp that illuminates the entire screen. Many folks rather then troubleshoot replace both as long as the device is opened.
Modern Tv's no longer need cheater cords to test them. the power cord stays attached even when you open them up. To me this says makers are not concerned that buyers will open them up to see what went wrong.
Bill D.

I had a TV go out about a year or two ago and I know the problem is the backlight, but we needed a TV so we just replaced it. I kept the old one and one of these days I'll crack it open and replace the controller board which costs about $50. Then I'll have 2 TVs.

Curt Harms
07-30-2018, 7:36 PM
This past spring I purchased a new garden tiller. When I received it, the handle had been damaged in shipping. Nothing major but I was concerned with the pounding a tiller takes and the handle would break in two. I contacted the manufacture and sent photos with the damage. Requested they send me a new handle. I would replace it myself and done.

We had a somewhat similar experience with a Shark Vacuum. The dust cannister has two plastic lugs over which over-center latches fit to secure the cup. We expected a new cup, we got a new vacuum. I guess it makes sense to somebody.

John Stankus
07-30-2018, 7:43 PM
A lot of the stuff that used to get fixed in repair shops was stuff people today just don't want. I've seen sewing machines for 5 and ten dollars that worked,people just don't want them. I remember an aunt who got her waffle iron repaired. My wife won't make waffles. We have a fine waffle iron ,but I have to eat eggos. Sad

Waffles are a pretty easy recipe. Why don’t you make waffles for her?

Bill Dufour
07-30-2018, 10:13 PM
For pancake sand probably waffles the trick is to let it sit after mixing. Even overnight in the fridge. As you mix it gets lumpy and acts like a non Newtonian fluid so it is hard to mix properly.
Bill D.
PS: Many mixes made today are add water only no need for eggs etc. easy for camping but my wife has convinced me quesideas are even easier and tasty.

Bruce Wrenn
07-31-2018, 9:24 PM
A friends TV croaked. After a year of seeing it sitting hall, and grandson saying "I know someone who can fix it," she told me to take it to the recycle center. Took it into shop and a quick inspection showed a capacitor that looked like it was pregnant. Quick search of ebay, and for $0.59 shipped I had replacement cap in hand. Actually it was $1.18 as I had to order two to get free shipping. Less than 15 minutes and set was again playing. That was two years ago, and set is still playing. First of the week replaced bios battery in my note book. The usually last about a year, so last time I ordered five, which cost me only a few more cents than just one. About a month ago was at dumpster, when a guy was throwing away one of those little Senco compressors. Said it wouldn't build up air. He gave it to me. Brought it home,. plugged it in and heard air leaking from regulator. Went to parts box and got out a $5 HF regulator with gauge and replaced defective one. Sweet!

Jim Koepke
08-01-2018, 12:34 AM
A friends TV croaked. After a year of seeing it sitting hall, and grandson saying "I know someone who can fix it," she told me to take it to the recycle center. Took it into shop and a quick inspection showed a capacitor that looked like it was pregnant. Quick search of ebay, and for $0.59 shipped I had replacement cap in hand. Actually it was $1.18 as I had to order two to get free shipping. Less than 15 minutes and set was again playing. That was two years ago, and set is still playing. First of the week replaced bios battery in my note book. The usually last about a year, so last time I ordered five, which cost me only a few more cents than just one. About a month ago was at dumpster, when a guy was throwing away one of those little Senco compressors. Said it wouldn't build up air. He gave it to me. Brought it home,. plugged it in and heard air leaking from regulator. Went to parts box and got out a $5 HF regulator with gauge and replaced defective one. Sweet!

Yep, people who aren't afraid to 'look under the hood' can get a lot of good things for a little labor. (Most of them actually enjoy the labor a bit.)

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
08-01-2018, 11:32 AM
We generally don't pay anyone for doing repairs. Did once on a VCR though. I like the satisfaction of bringing something back to life. Worst thing ever was a chainsaw in pieces in a burlap bag. Took about four hours to fix it. I have a book on chainsaws that showed parts breakdown, which definitely helped. Probably one of the best things my dad did for me as kid was to give me a B&S 1.0 HP motor that came off a Bendex washing machine. Washing machines were gas powered at one time, as not everybody had electricity. He told me "take it apart and figure out why it doesn't run, and he would buy the needed parts." I did, and he did. As a kid, I built my own crystal radios, using a "blue razor blade, and a sewing pin" for the crystal. Wound the coil around an Alkaseltzer bottle. Currently, I'm waiting for parts to come in to fix my 30+ year old Senco nailer, plus a defrost timer to fix fridge.. Thank God for ebay, as they are my "go to" for parts. Also currently installing two heat pumps in house. God Blessed me with talents, instead of money. Sons both own their own repair businesses, one doing home repairs, and other doing heavy equipment.

Rick Potter
08-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Check and see if there is a 'Tools R US' store nearby. My local one still has a service counter and repairs tools.

Lee Schierer
08-01-2018, 4:04 PM
I followed a van through several traffic lights today. His License plate was MRFIXIT. I couldn't see the side of his van so I don't know what he fixes.

Carlos Alvarez
08-01-2018, 5:07 PM
I got my start in electronics because my dad ran a TV repair shop. I learned to fix TVs from five years old. In fifth grade I started my first business, fixing tape players and portable radios for a flat fee of like $5 (felt like millions at that age and time/economy). Basically fixing what was then being called "cheap disposable Japanese electronics" that were not worth adult salaries to fix. But for me, nothing was better than four hours in the shop with a scope and soldering iron figuring stuff out. That experience has led to me basically fixing absolutely everything I ever need to, and I just don't go to repair shops or have repair people come to the house. TV repair shops on the corner are gone, but they still exist. They are big on-call companies that send a tech who basically just replaces a board, or swaps in a whole refurb TV.

On power tools, Dewalt is basically making "forever" tools now, but mostly only if you work in the trades. It's just not economical to deal with one customer at a time for repairs. But a friend who does road construction work gets a Dewalt truck a couple times a month who brings fixed tools, and takes all the broken tools. They never buy new. They just pay a flat repair fee per unit.

It is very expensive to deal with individual customers. Part of it is the nature of the time it takes to deal with a one-off, and part is just the fact that there are so many bad customers who cause problems and eat up time. So it's not just the time to fix the tool, it's the time to deal with the paperwork and person.

Bruce Wrenn
08-01-2018, 9:24 PM
On power tools, Dewalt is basically making "forever" tools now, but mostly only if you work in the trades. It's just not economical to deal with one customer at a time for repairs. But a friend who does road construction work gets a Dewalt truck a couple times a month who brings fixed tools, and takes all the broken tools. They never buy new. They just pay a flat repair fee per unit.B&D industrial tools carry same warranty. Repair costs no more than half of the current selling price of comp tool. Tried to get my 40 year old B&D angle grinder fixed under such plan. Tech told me "No parts available, so they would sell me a Dewalt for about 1.5 times the current street price." Went home, and looked up needed parts. Checked current production model Dewalt, and parts were the EXACT same. Only the case was a different color. Called service center to see if parts were available. They had two of three in stock, and could have the other the next day. Seems they are either too lazy, or sorry to do their job. One day when it's raining, will call and check on parts availability, and then take grinder back in. Years ago, at same service center (B&D then) took a 7" angle grinder in to get a replacement bearing. The tag is attached so that laying grinder on it's back wears tag off, so without model number they couldn't be of help. I was working in Norfolk, so took grinder with me. Went to the B&D service center there, and when I walked in the door, tech asked me which I needed, bearing, or brushes. He said they had over 5000 of same grinder on lease at ship yard in Hampton Roads, and these two parts were most common failure item. So it depends upon someone knowing what they are doing, or willing to do what they are supposed to.

Bruce Wrenn
08-01-2018, 9:29 PM
On my Skill 77's, I replaced the cord with a piece of SJO cable and plug. The new cord is 10' long, so I can rip a sheet of plywood without having to deal with the cord.. In my shop, I have a partial spool of SJO cord that I bought from local salvage yard, so replacing cord is easy. Remember the 77 uses torx screws.

Doug Garson
08-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Last Monday I was in repair mode. One of our Gardenia oscillating sprinklers quit oscillating, odd because my experience with Gardenia products is they are expensive but last almost forever. We had one that I swear lasted 20 years, this one is about 5 years old. Opened it up and a couple of O rings had failed (this sprinkler was left in place 24/7 for the last few years so maybe the sun baked it). Replaced the O rings and it's back in service. Then turned my attention to a Simple Human soap dispenser which broke. We have several of these, the type that hang on the wall and you pump out the soap (or shampoo, conditioner etc.), by pulling a lever arm toward you. So far 2 have broken the same way after 4 or 5 years. The lever arm snapped in the middle. I glued the 2 halves back together with CA glue and then reinforced the joint with 5 min epoxy and some scraps of fiber glass cloth. Probably stronger than the original arm. I had contacted the company on their website to ask if they could supply a replacement arm, got a response from them from the UK within 48 hours saying they had forwarded my request to the US office as they were closer to me (in Canada). That was 2 weeks ago and no response from the US office. I feel sorry for people who don't have at least some basic DIY skills to make simple repairs.

Larry Frank
08-02-2018, 7:50 AM
When I was a kid, too many years ago, it was pretty common for boys to take things apart and figure out how they worked. This leads to being able to fix things. Today, how many kids have any interest in picking up a tool? There are not enough.

There is now a lack of skilled folks in many trades and it will get worse. This will create a large demand and career opportunities. It is a great alternative to college but means getting your hands dirty.

Perry Hilbert Jr
08-02-2018, 8:34 AM
And that is why there are so many native born "basement dwellers" and so many immigrants in the trades. Had a relative who was working part time at McDonalds and living in his parent's basement at age 32. Told him about some warehouse jobs that paid $18 plus and hour and they would train for forklift certificate. He replied that he could never work in a warehouse. His Mother overhead him and told him he had 15 days to vacate unless he started paying rent. He is now a fork lift driver, has a new car and is looking into buying a house. Suddenly his politics have become more conservative too.

Jim Koepke
08-02-2018, 10:12 AM
I followed a van through several traffic lights today. His License plate was MRFIXIT. I couldn't see the side of his van so I don't know what he fixes.

He is likely in the phone book under Mr Fix It.

Or maybe Google:

jtk

Carlos Alvarez
08-02-2018, 1:38 PM
B&D industrial tools carry same warranty. Repair costs no more than half of the current selling price of comp tool.

It's not a warranty or half price deal. It's a service agreement where Dewalt just continually has refurb tools sitting at the site. Every time someone needs a tool, they take one from the "good" bin and toss their existing one into the "bad" bin. They are charged for each tool as they use it, on a flat fee that's not really related to the tool cost, but the overall cost of refurbishing (same every time). Nobody has to do anything or worry about parts or whatever.

Also this way employees are assigned a tool one time, and they can exchange it any time. But at the end each employee is assigned one tool of X model and responsible for having it. This has helped with theft or just mysterious disappearances.

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2018, 1:13 PM
When I was a kid, too many years ago, it was pretty common for boys to take things apart and figure out how they worked. This leads to being able to fix things. Today, how many kids have any interest in picking up a tool? There are not enough.

There is now a lack of skilled folks in many trades and it will get worse. This will create a large demand and career opportunities. It is a great alternative to college but means getting your hands dirty.

That's true Larry, however a lot of small items are now not economically feasible to repair..............regards, Rod.

Marc Jeske
08-07-2018, 6:02 PM
RIP Emmett...... Marc

Jim Koepke
08-07-2018, 7:54 PM
That's true Larry, however a lot of small items are now not economically feasible to repair..............regards, Rod.

When we moved here we purchased a set of LED lights to put under the cabinets to illuminate one of our kitchen counters. After close to ten years the switch went south. It was a small slide switch. After looking around for a replacement switch online it occurred to me the switches in some small Christmas tea lights we had would work. Sure enough, one of them had a dead battery so the switch was salvaged and used to repair the unit. That is one good reason to hang on to my old soldering iron. Had to use a tie wrap around the wall wart body to keep it together. Hopefully my memory will be working down the road when the switch wears out again.

It wasn't made to be repaired, but that didn't stop me. Of course the labor in a shop to fix it would be more than the thing would cost. For me it was 10 or 15 minutes of puttering around in the shop as opposed to over an hour to drive into town and back.

The little tea lights were bought the day after Christmas at a steep discount. Something like 50¢ each in an 18 pack if my memory is working. That is less than the batteries inside cost to buy. They are the same ones used by my glucose meter. Funny part is when the batter is too low for the glucose meter it still has enough charge to light the LED in the tea light. If anyone wants to know the battery is a #2032 iirc.

jtk

Rod Sheridan
08-14-2018, 1:15 PM
Hi Jim, yes for home you can repair a lot of items however one item to consider is that if you don't use the exact switch the manufacturer used, your electrical approval is void.

That stops shops dead in their tracks if they can't get the exact part.

I work at a place that has very comprehensive repair facilities, down to the surface mount IC level. After a few years you often can't obtain the IC's so the entire assembly is scrap.

My parents received a chrome metal kettle as a wedding present during the war, I can't think of how many times I replaced the cord, it was meant to be repairable, all you needed was a screwdriver to take the cord end apart. They don't make stuff like that any longer.........Rod.