PDA

View Full Version : Bright green liquid!?!?!

Wade Lippman
07-27-2018, 4:57 PM
I have a soda bottle half full of a fluorescent green fluid. I didn't label it and have no idea what it might be, except it almost certainly is automotive?
It seems pretty watery, but I have a half empty bottle of antifreeze, so it probably isn't that. I also found brake fluid and PS fluid, so those aren't likely.
I don't find any windshield wiper fluid; could that be bright green? How could I tell? Mix some with water and see if they separate?

Getting old is a b......

Nathan Johnson
07-27-2018, 5:22 PM
A/C refrigerant?

Lee Schierer
07-27-2018, 5:29 PM
dye for finding a leak in your A/C?

Pat Barry
07-27-2018, 5:29 PM
Prestone antifreeze

Bryan Lisowski
07-27-2018, 6:42 PM
Something you should probably throw out.

Wade Lippman
07-27-2018, 7:37 PM
Nothing to do with A/C; I am not that capable.
It is hard to throw stuff out these days; it will pollute something.
Maybe Prestone, but I have a half jug of antifreeze; I should have put it in there.
But of course I should have labeled it, so I guess not doing something doesn't prove anything.
----------
It mixes immediately with water and doesn't separate.
It is more viscous than windshield wiper fluid.
It looks much like my Peak antifreeze, but is brighter and greener.

maybe I will learn to label stuff...

Bill Dufour
07-27-2018, 7:43 PM
Slime tire sealer? put some on a piece of scrap it will not dry all the way. it will stay rubbery.
Bill D

Jim Becker
07-27-2018, 7:49 PM
Ectoplasm? :) :D

(I agree with the suggestion of discarding it given the unknown of both what and when)

Bruce Wrenn
07-27-2018, 9:07 PM
Most likely antifreeze. I would send it to waste .disposal.

James Waldron
07-27-2018, 10:06 PM
Cerulian ale from Aldebaran III. Very intoxicating, but never causes a hangover. Try it, you'll like it.

Steve Eure
07-27-2018, 10:31 PM
Old Mountain Dew.

Rich Engelhardt
07-28-2018, 5:05 AM
It is hard to throw stuff out these days; it will pollute something.Actually - - - it's easier than it ever was. Just haul it to the nearest hazardous waste disposal site.
Don't know where that is?

https://www.dec.ny.gov/index.html

Call them - cell phones make it quick and easy these days. Email them if you don't feel like talking to anyone.

I'd take the anti freeze and give that to em also.
Anti freeze can cause some poor pooch or puddy tat hours of intense agony, until they finally succumb to the poison, if it gets into it somehow.

Ole Anderson
07-28-2018, 8:07 AM
Take it to your local auto parts guy, they can probably ID it and possibly also dispose of it. Rub it between your fingers and compare it to your Prestone antifreeze. Not oily, but slippery. Do a smell test too.

Mark Major
07-28-2018, 8:50 AM
Hi. if you have a hydrometer you could test it, give you a better idea on if it is antifreeze.

Mark

Bill Orbine
07-28-2018, 8:53 AM
What does the ol' nose say?

John Stankus
07-28-2018, 9:10 AM
Is your half bottle of anti freeze the concentrate? And the unknown is what you used to dilute to proper working strength?

John

Jim Koepke
07-28-2018, 9:39 AM
Anti freeze can cause some poor pooch or puddy tat hours of intense agony, until they finally succumb to the poison, if it gets into it somehow.

My understanding is antifreeze has a sweet taste animals like.

As to the bottle of unknown fluid, take it to waste disposal and remember to label bottles or keep things in their original containers.

jtk

Jim Tobias
07-28-2018, 2:35 PM
+1 on the Slime tire leak liquid. I had some of that and used on a wheel barrow tire years ago. Had part of an unused container of it also until I cleaned out the shelf a year or so ago.

Jim

Wade Lippman
07-28-2018, 3:14 PM
Is your half bottle of anti freeze the concentrate? And the unknown is what you used to dilute to proper working strength?

John

I think you have hit the jackpot. That is the only reasonable answer. It pretty much has to be antifreeze, and I didn't dump in the half bottle because it was dilute.

Now if we can just figure out why I didn't label it.

Charlie Velasquez
07-28-2018, 6:53 PM
I think you have hit the jackpot. That is the only reasonable answer. It pretty much has to be antifreeze, and I didn't dump in the half bottle because it was dilute.Now if we can just figure out why I didn't label it.
Most likely antifreeze. I would send it to waste .disposal.Most likely it is the antifreeze.. But you should still take Bruce and other's advice; pitch it anyway. 99% sure it's antifreeze?? What's the downside if your wrong? What's the advantage if your right? .. .. . Pitch it.

Bill Dufour
07-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Antifreeze is a liquid while slime is a liquid with bits of cellulose floating around in the liquid. If you shake it up Slime will not be a liquid. It will have small clumps floating in the liquid.
I have read that Slime uses antifreeze as the liquid so it will taste the same as antifreeze. You can make your own Slime by mixing antifreeze and newspaper in a blender.
Bill D.

Thomas L Carpenter
07-30-2018, 9:38 AM
Dawn dish washing detergent for washing your car.

Mike Ontko
07-30-2018, 10:16 AM
What does the ol' nose say?

But be careful about inhaling deeply! Mr Clean is a bright neon green.

Rich Engelhardt
08-03-2018, 8:11 AM
99% sure it's antifreeze?? What's the downside if your wrong?Back in 1982, I told my father in law I needed some anti freeze. He gave me a (unlabeled) jug he had in the garage. It was a nasty brown color but he assured me it was top shelf anti freeze - the exact same stuff they put in the vehicles at the steel plant where he worked.
I used it in my wife's Camero.

On the way to work, all of a sudden all this nasty mayonnaise type stuff came blasting out from under the hood like white lava & steam was billowing out everywhere.

Turns out it was waste oil my fat brother in law had stuck in the garage.

$200 worth of radiator flush and 6 hours of working in the 30 degree weather later....

Jerome Stanek
08-03-2018, 8:56 AM
Back in the 70s there was an antifreeze shortage and the high school had bought barrels of it to sell for a fund raiser. My boss bought a barrel and used it in some of his equipment and sold some to his employees I didn't get any but I sure was glad as it ate the Aluminum parts and we had to replace a lot of water pumps so did the guys that used it.

Bill Kelleher
08-03-2018, 9:11 AM
I have a soda bottle half full of a fluorescent green fluid. I didn't label it and have no idea what it might be, except it almost certainly is automotive?
It seems pretty watery, but I have a half empty bottle of antifreeze, so it probably isn't that. I also found brake fluid and PS fluid, so those aren't likely.
I don't find any windshield wiper fluid; could that be bright green? How could I tell? Mix some with water and see if they separate?

Getting old is a b......
https://www.google.com/search?q=predator+bleeding+green&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS730US730&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW2JrJ-dDcAhVww1kKHd-3C50Q_AUIDSgE&biw=1280&bih=584&dpr=1.5#imgrc=aMDcyXENlBlQHM:

George Bokros
08-03-2018, 9:39 AM
Advance Auto Parts will properly dispose of anti-freeze at no charge.

John K Jordan
08-03-2018, 7:33 PM
I have a soda bottle half full of a fluorescent green fluid....

Do you mean it is a "fluorescent" green color in white light or it fluoresces brightly under UV light?

Can you see through it, is it translucent, or is it nearly opaque?

Is it low or high viscosity? (watery or thick like molasses?)

Does it smell like antifreeze, tire sealant? (never stick your nose over an unknown substance and inhale; instead waft vapor gently toward you with your hand the way they teach in chemistry lab, or used to.)

JKJ

Wade Lippman
08-03-2018, 8:52 PM
Do you mean it is a "fluorescent" green color in white light or it fluoresces brightly under UV light?

Can you see through it, is it translucent, or is it nearly opaque?

Is it low or high viscosity? (watery or thick like molasses?)

Does it smell like antifreeze, tire sealant? (never stick your nose over an unknown substance and inhale; instead waft vapor gently toward you with your hand the way they teach in chemistry lab, or used to.)

JKJ

Back in #19 I concluded it was diluted antifreeze.

Matt Meiser
08-08-2018, 10:13 PM
So it turns out PAG oil (Polyalkylene Glycol oil) used in R134a A/C systems may also be bright green and feels a lot like antifreeze on your fingers when dripping off the bottom of you car. Which is really confusing when your antifreeze is orange. Makes for an expensive repair too, even when you DIY.