PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 113.298031 Cradle Crack

Bradley Talbert
07-27-2018, 1:19 AM
Hey guys! I've been lurking around here for a few months and have already learned a lot. I have a few questions y'all may be able to help me with.

After reading quite a bit about them on here, I recently bought an old Craftsman belt-drive saw, model 113.298031. The blade height adjustment was 2-hand stiff, so I assumed it was just gunked up. Cleaned it all out, no such luck. Decided to just tear it all down while I was at it. I spent several days trying to get the arbor housing (PN 30420) off the cradle (PN 62489). I heated it with a torch, doused it with penetrating oil, beat on it, nothing. Today I managed to get a crowbar between the arbor housing and the cradle and drove it in like a wedge. Lo and behold, it came off! But with it came 2 new issues.
#1. The pin the arbor housing rotates around (which is pressed into the cast cradle) was so frozen in the arbor housing that pulling the arbor housing managed to bring the pin with it. The gear puller I eventually used to separate the pin from the housing gouged the pin pretty good. It also doesn't seem to be a consistent diameter anymore. The pin will slide about halfway into the arbor housing or cradle, then it sticks and won't go farther. Does anyone know if those pins can be ordered separate from the cradle assembly, or if maybe they're just a standard size I can just pick up somewhere? That said, this one could be moot depending on #2.

#2. Upon looking at the newly uncovered cradle, I noticed a nice long crack in the hole the pin from #1 was factory-pressed into. See attached pictures. It is at 6 o'clock on the hole, which is actually straight up when the saw is assembled. Not sure if it was pre-existing or if I caused it during all of my prying and pounding, although I tried to be very careful with the cast parts. Is this worth ordering a new cradle over? I know that part sees vibration, but as far as actual loading, does the cradle really see all that much, especially in the direction of the crack (directly up)? Enough to keep growing a crack? Because the crack is in the bore hole, I don't know what sort of repair options there are (if any). If anyone has ordered the newer "equivalent" part from Sears (PN 819442), do they perform about the same? The large open web sections just don't seem like they'd be quite as stiff.

Thank y'all for your help, even before this post. Posts here were what convinced me to go for an older saw in the first place!

Sam Puhalovich
07-27-2018, 5:35 AM
Brad; I recently bought a model 113. and have it apart to refurb the sheet metal and do a general clean-up on all the parts. The pivot pin hole measures .720" ... so, I expect that the pin is a metric size and not commonly available. I don't think that you'll understand the effect of the crack until you get a pin back in there. Considering the length of the hole-and-pin engagement I very much doubt that it will be a problem. The parts list that I've looked-at does not show that the pin is available separately.

Bradley Talbert
08-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Brad; I recently bought a model 113. and have it apart to refurb the sheet metal and do a general clean-up on all the parts. The pivot pin hole measures .720" ... so, I expect that the pin is a metric size and not commonly available. I don't think that you'll understand the effect of the crack until you get a pin back in there. Considering the length of the hole-and-pin engagement I very much doubt that it will be a problem. The parts list that I've looked-at does not show that the pin is available separately.

After thinking about it awhile, I realized that even if I did get the pin back in and it seemed to stay, I didn't really trust it (unfounded though that may be), which is not a thought I want to have about something supporting a spinning blade at chest level... I decided that it'd be better to just buy a new cradle and know it was fine from the get go. I wasn't thrilled about putting as much money into the saw as I paid for it, but $50 extra for a saw I trust seems like a small price to pay.

And I’m not sure if it’s due to the crack or if the hole inthe cradle is tapered, but I measured the blade-side of that pin hole at ~.720,and the elevation screw-side at closer to .750 if that helps somebody down theroad.

I appreciate your help Sam, good luck on your project!