PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw motor problem

Tom Ruflin
11-22-2005, 12:46 PM
I was was cutting some 8/4 poplar on my Delta 14" bandsaw this morning when there was a POP :eek: and then smoke :eek: from the bottom cabinet where the motor is. The circuit breaker also tripped. I don't know much about motors and would appreciate any thoughts on what popped. The motor still runs but starts up slower than before. Can I still use it :confused: ??? or will it cause more damage to the motor.

Dennis McDonaugh
11-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Sounds like your starter cap went out. Look on the side of he motor. Somewhere there should be a lump of metal which covers the starter capicator. Take the cover off and the cap should be under it. If the cap is oily or burnt looking its bad. It should have a number on it, you should be able to get it locally or thorough Delta.

Tom Ruflin
11-22-2005, 3:32 PM
Dennis,

Thanks for the advice. I took both "lump" covers off and neither of the capacitors inside show any signs of burning or oil. Can these capacitors be tested? One of them (the smaller one ) was hot when I finally got the cover to the motor off and so was the motor.

Any more suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Hager
11-22-2005, 3:46 PM
Tom, I don't know how old your bandsaw is but I have a Delta 14" saw that I got about 5-6 years ago that did the same thing. It turns out that Delta put out a bad run of motors that gave problems like that. Might want to give them a call, they replaced mine for me but that was before the warranty ran out.

Tyler Howell
11-22-2005, 3:58 PM
:eek: You let the Smoke out:eek: Motors and delicate electronics run on smoke. If you let it out they don't work anymore:rolleyes: .

What they said!

Mike Elo
11-22-2005, 4:51 PM
Same thing happend to me shortly after I brought it home, 5 or 6 years ago. Delta sent me a new motor that is still is in the box. Something has failed and probably needs to be investigated. I doubt the capacitors have failed otherwise I don't think the motor would start everytime. But I imagine Radio shack could test and replace them need be. If you investigate it further let us know what you find. Mike.

Don Baer
11-22-2005, 5:16 PM
Radio shack will not be able to test a motor starting CAP. If there are two caps one is a starting CAP and the other is a run CAP. Look in the yellow pages for an Electric Motor rewind shop and take both of them there. They should be able to test them for you and may not even charge you for testing them. They should also have the proper replacement CAP that you can buy for a few buscks. The last time I replaced one on my 3 hp pool pump I think it was something like 5 or 6 bucks.

Michael Adelong
11-23-2005, 8:58 AM
Hello everyone.

You can test the capactiors using any old ohm meter.

If the capacitor is not physically blown up, there are 2 possibilities. It is either "shorted out" or "opened up". Measure the resistance across the 2 lugs on the capacitor. A shorted one will read a low but steady resistance. Probably between 0 and 5 ohms, but it may be higher. An open one will show infinte resistance - or whatever your meter displays when you aren't touching the probes to anytthing.

Typically, a good capacitor will start off with a low resistance reading that increases at some controlled rate to infiniite resistance.

If there are marks indicating "+" and "-" on the capacitors you have, put the black lead on the "-" lug. If you measure a good cap with your meter leads backwards it will look like a bad one. :D

Good luck,
Michael

Oh... my money is on the hot one ;)

Tom Ruflin
11-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, I took Don's advice and took the capacitors to the local motor repair shop. They tested them for free and said they are fine and to bring in the motor to see if it is repairable. They looked at it and said the starter windings or something like that are fried and it's not worth repairing. They can get me a new motor today so I will be back in business which is good since I'm trying to make xmas gifts and really need my bandsaw.

Thanks everyone for you help/advice.

Don Baer
11-23-2005, 6:29 PM
Tom,
I'm glad that it worked out for you. Most of the guys in the motor rewinding business are pretty good guys. If anyone has similar problems look for a shop that is a member of EASA (Electrical Aperatice Service Asc.) Most Reputable shops belong to the Association.

Frank Hagan
11-24-2005, 12:06 AM
I would just add that when you are working with a capacitor, be careful not to touch the leads with bare hands ... or anything in your hands that will conduct electricity. You will find out that they store electricity and can discharge it in a very rapid manner.

It can even cause you to jump back and knock a customer's 3 year old into the algae-contaminated swimming pool, necessitating a rescue and shorting out your multimeter that gets knocked into the pool in the scramble.