PDA

View Full Version : refinishing Cherry table top .

Dean D Collins
07-25-2018, 2:27 PM
suggestions on procedure to refinish 12 year old dining table that was finished using polyurethane

Andrew Hughes
07-25-2018, 3:13 PM
I would start by scraping off as much as I could. Then if you have to use chemical stripper it should go faster.

Steve Schoene
07-25-2018, 8:48 PM
I disagree with scraping off the old poly, because without removing the entire surface you would be apt to disturb the patina of the cherry since the amazing color change of the cherry is not very deep at all. That means that using a chemical stripper to remove the entire old poly with very little impact on the richness of the cherry surface patina. Follow directions to remove residuals from the stripper thoroughly. My favorite finish is a good oil based varnish, even though that has become harder to find these days. I'd actually think of using a finish much reviled on web fora: Formby's "Tung Oil Finish". It's not tung oil by any stretch but is a decent, light colored varnish. I'd use it as a wipe on varnish, applying about 6 to 8 very thin coats. The best way to apply such finish is up wipe very thinly, with

Jim Becker
07-26-2018, 9:12 AM
I agree with Steve...chemical stripper (taking all safety precautions) followed by cleaning, careful light sanding to further clean it up and then refinish with a quality product.

Andrew Hughes
07-26-2018, 10:24 AM
I hadn’t thought about the that. Cherry does develop a nice color over time.

Jessica de Boer
07-28-2018, 5:50 AM
I would suggest to start with a 2-component wood sealer, my favourite is International clear wood sealer. Dilute the first 2 coatings with 25 or even 30% thinner, this way it's absorbed completely by the wood and the wood is sealed off from the elements. I would dilute the third and fourth coating with 15% thinner and let it cure and gas out completely. It dries very fast so you can easily apply all four coatings in one day. Sand it with 240 grit and finish with whatever you like. I've always liked International Goldspar. It has an amber colour that adds a nice depth to the finish.

(Yes, I'm a big fan of International varnish)