PDA

View Full Version : What type drill bit "head" is this?

Jerry Olexa
07-24-2018, 2:25 PM
As part of a recent old tool purchase, I acquired a sizable bunch of these drill bits (see pics).
All is normal except for the part at the top of the shank that fits into a brace, motor unit or a specialized tool?
I cannot identify. Probably for a special use tool.Do any of you recognize this portion/fitting at top of shank or the tool for which it might be intended? thanks for your help...

CPeter James
07-24-2018, 2:28 PM
Those are Morse taper shank drill bits. Usually used in lathes and milling machines.
CPeter

Steve Rozmiarek
07-24-2018, 3:25 PM
Bigger drill presses commonly use them too. How many did you get, any makers marks?

Bruce Page
07-24-2018, 3:28 PM
Morse taper. Looks like a #1 or #2 but hard to say not knowing the drill size.

Jerry Olexa
07-24-2018, 5:09 PM
This one says MORSE 31, HS USA 64 ....I'll check others altho they need to be cleaned and total over 60 bits

Jerry Olexa
07-24-2018, 8:35 PM
They are badly rusted..Soaking in vinegar overnight....Tomorrow, wire wheel and/or steel wool w gloves.
Found the Morse taper bits on Google, amazon, etc .Getting some information..
Thanks for your help, input.

Bruce Page
07-24-2018, 9:01 PM
This one says MORSE 31, HS USA 64 ....I'll check others altho they need to be cleaned and total over 60 bits

Morse #3 is almost 1 inch (.984) in diameter at the big end of the taper. There's no such thing as Morse 31, at least as a size designation. Morse #7 is the largest AFAIK.

Jerry Bruette
07-24-2018, 10:36 PM
My guess is that it's a 31/64 drill bit, but I have no idea which Morse taper size.

Bill Dufour
07-25-2018, 1:01 AM
Morse is also a respected drill bit maker so I agree that is probably a HSS bit made by the Morse company. Many drillpresses use a Morse taper socket on the quill. either you insert a taper shank drill direct or you have a Morse taper arbor to hold a drill chuck. Note the tang on the end is not a drive feature it is just to help remove the tape from the socket with a wedge.
Most wood lathes use a Morse taper on the tailstock.
Bill D

John K Jordan
07-25-2018, 11:37 AM
I use taper shank bits on the wood and metal lathe when I have the right size. (I once bought a bunch surplus.) The flat on the end can prevent the bit from turning if used in a MT socket made for it. (My lathes are not made for this, perhaps most are this way.)

Here are a few samples, #2MT and #1MT with an adapter to use the smaller ones in a #2MT socket.

I like them on the lathe since the Jacob's chuck is eliminated. The extension from the tailstock is less with less chance of flexing or accumulated precision errors.

JKJ

Jerry Olexa
07-25-2018, 1:47 PM
Cleaned a few this morning ( see pics) and its a messy job.
Took the marking off a few randomly and here they are:

ALL in this group are CLE-Forge:

17/64 HS USA
23/64 hs 335480
z 09053
27/64
15/32
27x
15/32
x518
and couple odd ones (deburring, small drill bit etc)

Not sure what I have but I've learned the use of these Morse taper bits and the history....I'm questioning my use of time but restoring is generally fun..
Most of the group still soaking in vinegar....Maybe I'll have a better perspective tomorrow....Thanks for your help/advice.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-26-2018, 8:58 AM
Good find Jerry. If you have some you want sharpened, Fastenal did a good job on a bunch for me.

Bill Dufour
07-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Many folks do not realize there is a correct orientation to insert a taper drill into the socket. Set it so the tang is 90 degrees to the slot. Other wise removal may be hard.
A lathe tailstock often will not have slot so there I would insert it so the tang is horizontal.
I have one drill where the tang is too short for good ejection in the tailstock so I taped on a short slug of metal to help it eject when the quill is retracted. I also have ground the tang shorter on a few drills so they seat all the way.
Bill D.

Peter Christensen
07-26-2018, 11:00 AM
I would not use most of those bit because of the corrosion pits on the taper. They won't hold properly and if they spin will wreck the shaft to quill they are in.

John K Jordan
07-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Many folks do not realize there is a correct orientation to insert a taper drill into the socket. Set it so the tang is 90 degrees to the slot. Other wise removal may be hard.

I never heard of that. The only MT things I have with slots are adapters to go between #1, #2, and #3MT and the bits have to be firmly seated into the slot. The adapters do have an access slot on the side for easy removal with a tapered pin or a screw driver.

JKJ

Jerry Olexa
07-28-2018, 3:14 PM
Finally finished cleaning the morse tapers....Now have to sort them..A few Nationals and other brands in there too.....Twas a bigger job than I expected....Still confused over the #1,#2 designation? Something to do with shank size?
Thanks guys for your help..

Bruce Page
07-28-2018, 5:09 PM
Jerry, if you go to Amazon and search Morse taper drill bit you will see several examples in different sizes. Morse taper drill bits, reamers, spade bits, etc. are common in the machine shop world. Most every engine lathe tail stock has a MT. Typically, the larger the lathe, the larger the MT. For example, my 14”X40” engine lathe’s tailstock is a Morse Taper #3 (see pic).

Bill Dufour
07-28-2018, 5:25 PM
Here you go. Morse was trying to get them all the same angle. his tools and measuring ability got it close but not exactly the same. this means each size has a unique angle.
I believe he was trying for 5/8" per foot of taper.
Most likely you are looking at MT 1,2 and 3
Bil lD.

https://littlemachineshop.com/reference/tapers.php