PDA

View Full Version : Work bench modified.....

steven c newman
07-24-2018, 10:53 AM
As I was going to be dealing with small parts...and things that want to roll away....
Couple screws, to hold a rail in place. Scrap of 1/4" plywood to cover the dog holes. Didn't want small parts dropping down a hole, never to be found. Scrap of Pine to cover the tool well.
Tore down the bandsaw...snap rings, a few bolts and a shaft or two. Would rather NOT knock those bearings off onto the concrete floor, either.
Bearings were good....that shaft wasn't....
Old shaft still had one ring to be removed....sitting beside the brand new shaft.
Re-assembled. Bandsaw back together and running great.
Brought the "new" motor to the shop, and set it down on the "work table"..
Die cast pulley....was able to plug the motor in for a bit. Grabbed a file, and got rid of the sharp parting lines. Trued up the pulley a bit, too. Any metal going onto the bench...was contained by the work area. Later, I even set up a couple oil stones, to sharpen a couple chisels back up. keeps the wood working area fairly clean..for the next project.

steven c newman
07-24-2018, 1:37 PM
Since this is a temporary thing...when the parts get too nasty/messy/marked up......they can just go right into the FirePit....just using my scraps.

Have also gotten the stains and varnish stuff ready for use.....saves the surface of the regular bench.

Some have a separate bench for such jobs....I don't have the room.

Stew Denton
07-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Steven,

Looks like a good practical solution. Sounds like your band saw is back in business.

Good job.

Stew

steven c newman
07-27-2018, 10:42 PM
While cleaning up a plane today...
Was able to keep the bolts from rolling off the bench...or down a dog hole....