PDA

View Full Version : How to repair small sections of rotten wood?

dennis thompson
07-23-2018, 12:57 PM
My porch has two boards with some small sections that show some rot. Does anyone know of any systems that could be used to repair this and can be stained to match the current color?
Thanks

Mel Fulks
07-23-2018, 1:12 PM
What kind of wood?

Bill Dufour
07-23-2018, 1:42 PM
I will be following this thread as I found some rotted window trim outside. Much can be replaced but some I hope to save with wood hardener which I have never used.
Bill D.

andy bessette
07-23-2018, 1:52 PM
Why would you not post a photo?

Lloyd McKinlay
07-23-2018, 2:04 PM
I would recommend Abatron products, although I've never tried staining it. It paints well. I used it on my last porch (75 year old Douglas fir) and all areas were still intact when I sold 10 years later.

Jim Becker
07-23-2018, 3:19 PM
Ideally, because it's a porch floor, you'd remove the material back to where it's supported and replace that section of the board(s) that are rotted. Use the same kind of material that the floor is built from so your staining has the best opportunity to "match". (new finish will always look different than weathered finish, however)

Lee Schierer
07-23-2018, 3:39 PM
I've used MinWax wood hardener for quick repairs on window sills and it seems to work okay. I don't know if I would trust it for repairing a floor where someone could possibly step through the floor and get hurt. I have done what Jim suggested for repairing deck surfaces.

dennis thompson
07-23-2018, 4:08 PM
I've used MinWax wood hardener for quick repairs on window sills and it seems to work okay. I don't know if I would trust it for repairing a floor where someone could possibly step through the floor and get hurt. I have done what Jim suggested for repairing deck surfaces.

It's actually outside the railing on the very edge of the deck so no one will step on it. I think I'll try the suggested Minwax wood hardener
Thanks

John Lanciani
07-23-2018, 4:21 PM
I've had very good results with Rotfix from System Three; https://www.systemthree.com/products/rotfix-epoxy-sealer

Bill Dufour
07-23-2018, 5:28 PM
I asked this morning, even though it is listed on their site, Hoe Depot no longer carries wood hardener. they want you to rebuild with bondo and paint it to match. no treatment for the old wood to prevent further rot or insect damage just pry you got it all out and left no eggs behind. they also quit carrying hardie trim boards.

Lee Schierer
07-23-2018, 9:28 PM
Lowes still carries the minwax product and HD carries a wood hardener by Varathane

Bob Michaels1
07-23-2018, 10:06 PM
I use thickened West System epoxy for such repairs with good success. They feel that claims made by some manufacturers that certain epoxies will migrate into the pores of rotted wood is a bunch of hooey. Check out the West System website for a wealth of factual information.

andy bessette
07-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Unsubscribed.

Mike Eshleman
07-24-2018, 12:13 AM
This gives you lots of useful info for repairing exterior rot: http://www.jlconline.com/how-to/exteriors/beating-wood-rot_o?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=Feature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JLC_072218%20(1)&he=0e7ccf4282c95dd497e3799e4a6f74a9492b324e

Mark Wooden
07-24-2018, 5:42 PM
If the stain is a solid body color, you can probably use an epoxy, one I've had good success with is Flex Tec-http://www.advancedrepair.com/architectural_epoxy_flex_tec_hv_info_instructions. html- (and I'd recommend it for a rotted window sill ,Bill D). It will keep a certain amount of flexibility and move a little with the seasons. They don't say so, but it can be painted over with a solid body stain (mostly).
West System is good also but the Flex Tec is made specifically for repairs like rotted wood and a little easier to apply

Tom M King
07-24-2018, 6:20 PM
If it's in a spot that gets hot from the Sun, epoxy will not be a very long term fix. I have repaired many old window sills with various epoxies, but have stopped using it on the South sides of buildings, and especially if there is a Southwest facing corner nearby. I'd replace it with wood.

Bill Kelleher
07-24-2018, 7:39 PM
pm sent......................

Mitchell Garnett
07-25-2018, 11:32 PM
ditto for Rotfix. I had to repair a balcony with rotted wood and I used this family of products. They are not cheap but work well. I believe this is the brand that the Gamble house in Pasadena, CA used to restore exterior beams but I may be mistaken.

Jerry Olexa
07-25-2018, 11:37 PM
I've used the epoxy hardener products on window sills etc but would not use them where structual strength is needed...they work well esp in areas where painted surfaces.. (vs. stain)

Bill Sutherland
07-26-2018, 9:10 AM
I have a beam I'm repairing and plan to use Wood Wizard.

John K Jordan
07-26-2018, 11:46 AM
In my limited experience the Minwax hardener was not worth the effort. I used two cans once and couldn't tell I'd used any. Maybe the wood was too punky. I'll look for some sort of epoxy/resin infusion next time.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-26-2018, 4:12 PM
I have used two different products. One is the Minwax, and the other is something that I need to take a look to see what it is. I was told that boat restorers use it because it penetrates pretty well. I have even used it on new builds to make wood rot resistant. But it is very expensive. I used it last to fix a bunch of rotten wood at my Dad's place. For my application, both worked well.

PM me if you want me to see if I still have the other product and I can then tell you what it is.... but only if I still have some on hand since I have forgotten the brand.

Bill Dufour
07-27-2018, 11:33 AM
Any suggestions since I have the wall open to a degree. I would like to paint or spray something on the wood to prevent rot and termites. I know the common green or brown preservatives are not for interior use and have a smell that lasts for decades. I have some synesthetic nicotine, designed for termite drenching, I could spray to prevent bugs but it will do nothing to stop rot.
Bill D.

Jack Clark
07-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Take a good long look at Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES) from Smith and Company located here in Northern California. The product has been around since the 1970's, so it has withstood the test of time. Wooden boat fanatics and historical house restorationists love the product. The CPES is a two part epoxy, but has the viscosity of water. It truly penetrates the wood and, as I understand it, will follow the microscopic pathways etched by the fungus, killing the fungus along the way. There are warm weather and cool weather versions of the product. There are dealers, or you can order direct from Smith and Company. Link is below. Spend some time reading what's written about their products on the Smith & Co. website. Hope this helps.

https://smithandcompany.org/

Mark Wooden
07-29-2018, 1:44 PM
The Smith& Co looks like a good product- thanks for the link Jack, I'm going to read up on it.

Bill Dufour
08-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Doing some more research I have found many references to using PEG or antifreeze as a rot/inscet preventer. it will no reverse rot or anything like that. The pure Glycol can be brushed on the wood to help prevent future damage. It will even travel through latex paint into the wood below.
You can add borax and Boric acid to the antifreeze to increase the effects.
Bil lD.

Dave Anthony
08-02-2018, 6:25 PM
I used West System epoxy w/filler on the slightly rotted overhang ends of a couple of 4/4 beams on a patio cover. That was more than 20 years ago, it's on the South side of the house and gets direct sun, but shows no sign of degradation.