PDA

View Full Version : Where to obtain scroll work for firearms engraving?

Alan Carrier
07-23-2018, 9:47 AM
I have a 30W Chinese fiber laser and a 100W Thunderlaser for hobby use and have recently thought about trying my hand at engraving a Winchester model 94 that is in need of refinishing. I would like to engrave scroll patterns on both sides of the receiver but my Corel Draw skills aren't up to the task of designing my own scroll patterns. Does anyone know where I can obtain good scroll work that I can use for engraving?

I may also use the CO2 laser to engrave the stock, perhaps with a simple checkering pattern (due to a lack of creativity on my part!).

I haven't done this type of a project before so would appreciate any hints or suggestions.

Thanks!

Alan

Tony Lenkic
07-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Try this site...............

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

Tim Bateson
07-23-2018, 10:44 AM
My 2 cents (1 cent in current values) - 1. Find/buy/steal a couple steel plates. 2. Practice 3. Practice 4. Practice..... It'll take a lot of time to get it right & don't expect the results you see online - most done by hand. Possible.. yes, but see #2/3/4 above.

Alan Carrier
07-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks Tim. I have several blocks of steel and will do a lot of practice on those before attempting anything on the Winchester...if I can find some good engraving files to use.

Tony....thanks for the link. While I didn't find what I needed there (the floral type scroll work traditionally used on firearms), I did see a lot of good patterns that will be great for future projects. I think that link will get a lot of use! Thanks again!

Alan

Keith Outten
07-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Take a look at Golden Studios (http://www.goldenstudios.com) web site. Their artwork is geared more toward the sign business but you may find what your looking for and it won't be a waste of your time as they have very nice quality vector artwork.

I see that their art is now being sold through letterheads.

Brian Lamb
07-23-2018, 10:28 PM
Try googling floral scroll work vector files.

Alan Carrier
07-25-2018, 7:35 AM
Thanks Keith and Brian. I wasn't able to find vectors of the types of scrollwork that I was looking for to engrave the Winchester, but I did find some jpeg files. I tried cleaning them up and converting them to vector files in Corel Draw with varying success. I don't think they turned out well enough to use for engraving the rifle, but I'll use them for practice on some scrap steel that I have.
Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

Alan

Bill George
07-25-2018, 7:50 AM
Dover has some nice collections of art and some can be purchased in a Digital format. If your looking for "free" more than likely you will not find good quality.

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-clip-art-vector-designs.html

Tony Lenkic
07-25-2018, 8:37 AM
Alan,

In google search enter........"gun engraving patterns download".

Mike Null
07-25-2018, 11:11 AM
You might also find this site useful. http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/galleries/259-corner-borders

Kev Williams
07-25-2018, 11:52 AM
some thoughts:

----can the idea of finding ready to engrave vector art online, and 'settle' for good, large, clean clipart, and plan on vectorizing it yourself. You'll likely find more of what you're looking for, and good vectorizing programs can be found online....

I just googled "gun engraving clipart", went to "images", then using the 'tools' tab chose "black/white" for color choice (much less artwork editing time) and "large" size (bigger art always = better results)...

This came up, and I chose one, then picked one of the thumbnails-

--it's not vector art, it's just an image, but it's large enough and clean enough to laser engrave directly, and will vectorize nicely. And the thumbnail results to the right are similar to it (refined search results), and the 'view more' thumb takes you to even more...

Lee Childers
07-25-2018, 5:35 PM
Shutterstock.com...they have many that are already vectorized

John Lifer
07-25-2018, 5:47 PM
I think you will find that most of the things you will find are 'ok', but not enough of the same to really do a lot of scrolling on a gun. A spot here, a spot there, yeah. I've got several of the Dover books and some have some decent items. Used on an auction site is best place to find cheap. But a lot of the ones that are CDs are very poor scans. Not vector ready artwork. Just sayin, But you CAN buy individual pieces from their website.

Oh, and the work that is really done well and covers the guns are hand drawn and then scanned and vectorized. It is an art unto itself to draw GOOD scrollwork. I'm going down the same road as to wanting some good artwork, but finding I need to learn a new skill. And I can't draw worth a darn...... So maybe I'll learn enough to do a bit for myself, but probably not for anyone paying.

Bill George
07-25-2018, 7:28 PM
It will be interesting to see how it turns out.