PDA

View Full Version : Simple, RELIABLE regrigerator for ranch

James Carmichael
11-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I need to find a new (or used) refrigerator for a non-residence mobile home on the family ranch. This place is about 60-miles away and I'm lucky if I can make it out there once a month (having to go more since dad is disabled and my brother has a broken leg). So I'm looking for simplicity and RELIABILITY at a reasonable price. Emphasis on reliability since this frig breaks down, it may be weeks before anyone know,s even though there won't be much perishable food stored in it between visits. Simplicity, don't want an icemaker or other gizmos to minimize risk of a puddle of water sitting on the floor for a week, could be disasterous to a mobile-home's subfloor. Top freezer and around 18 CF space should do it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

James

Vaughn McMillan
11-23-2005, 4:14 AM
Been a while since I was in the market for a fridge, but if it's any help, I noticed Consumer Reports has Whirlpool, Kitchenaid and Amana at the top of their reliability ratings, Fridgidaire and Kenmore in the middle, and Hotpoint, GE and Maytag at the bottom. Even the ones at the bottom had a low percentage of repair calls; overall they're apparently all pretty reliable these days. (I've got an 8-year-old GE that's never missed a beat.)

- Vaughn

Jeff Sudmeier
11-23-2005, 8:41 AM
The good news about the newer fridges is that they seal up REALLY well. Even if you did have a failure of some type, it probably wouldn't stink up the whole place. You would just get one hell of a suprise when you opened it! (I had a freezer full of meat go bad, never knew it till I opened it and it was BAD!).

Joe Pelonio
11-23-2005, 9:15 AM
We've had a Kenmore that lasted 19 years and was going strong when we moved. Now we have a Whirlpool we bought in '95 and so far no trouble. In this situation I'd suggest you look for a "scratch/dent" sale with full factory warranty and save some money since no one's going to be looking at it every day. Some stores like Sears have outlet or Clearance Centers where they sell these. They may not deliver though, hopefully you have a truck. Also, if you ask at any appliance store they may have one in the back with a scratch that they will discount.

Nick Adams
11-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Going with new "scrath & dent" is my personal suggestion. They can get really cheap (I have a solid stainless commercial jenn-air that was scrathed on one side and a dent on the other...ended up saving 80% off retail pricing. ended up around 700 was mounted in a wall with a false front to it.)

Sometimes you can find a new lower end one for around 150 or so.