PDA

View Full Version : The new Colt on the block from Bosch

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Many years ago I realized how handy small routers or laminate trimmers are. Not for large tasks....but there are so many small ones, hinge /lock mortising for cabinets, roundover edges just a bit, dados for sliding doors or drawers...trimming laminate and veneer...cutting slots for splines...I could keep going...

You wil thank me for this!
Bosch and other companies have realized that woodworkers were using laminate trimmers for other stuff too...I just got the Bosch Colt in the UPS yesterday....it is a well thought out terrific, ergonomic pleasure to use.
The base and depth adjustments are the best...twist slide lock...! Fine adjustment too. The thing fits in one hand and yes , just like Sam Maloof you can single handedly rout yourself into euphoria. It is designed to fit in one hand but has a couple of thoughtful finger rests...my fingers need a rest after all this typing.... Varible speed and soft start too. Speeds from 16,000 to 35,000 rpm! Wow! Smooth...like a chocolate shake ...You can't feel it vibrate...nada! Installing bits are a snap...it has a spindle lock and easy access opening. It comes with a simple and practicle little fence. For a little more than $100 this is one handy tool! Do I work for Bosch ?....nah just a terrific addition to my shop.

Almost forgot:confused:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000AYN6NE.01-AUEUXQQV6YS3R._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Shiraz Balolia
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Looks like a nice unit, Mark. How tall is it?

Byron Trantham
11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Mark, looks great. I use my trimmer all the time and this one sounds like a good move.

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Looks like a nice unit, Mark. How tall is it?

Shiraz,
I just measured and we are looking at from 7 1/2" to 8 1/2" depending on the depth setting. It might be helpful for your guitar and other stuff.

Roy Wall
11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Mark,

I don't have a router........maybe this is a good tool for routing DT slots along the sides of drawers????

SInce you mentioned "smooth... like a chocolate milkshake"....there's nothing better than a Chocolate-Peanut Butter Shake!!!.....I had one of those down at some famous "burger place" there in Laguna...along the oceanfront!!!:cool:

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Roy,
If you want to rout sliding dovetails use a router table...If you want to rout dovetails, stick with your hand cut...thet are excellent and for milkshakes....I am going to try using the Colt for a milk shake.

Shiraz Balolia
11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for measuring that, Mark. I might have to go to the local box store and check it out. I have been looking for a very compact unit as I need to get in close to a wall.

For guitar trimming I use a Porter Cable unit that is mounted on drawer slides (moves up and down freely), and that is how I cut the edges of the acoustic guitars for the bindings and purflings. That way the unit "floats" and follows the contour of the guitar. I'll post a picture of it when I have some time as there may be applications other than guitar building that it can be useful for.
Thanks again.

Alan Turner
11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
I have an awful lot of routers for some reason, so the real issue is whether the shake maker attachment is included, or is just an option. Stainless, I am assuming.

Nice score, Mark. I have been thinking -- so what is just one more router? I can find room.

Roy Wall
11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Roy,
If you want to rout sliding dovetails use a router table...If you want to rout dovetails, stick with your hand cut...thet are excellent and for milkshakes....I am going to try using the Colt for a milk shake.

Mark,

Yes - I will stick with the Hand cut DT's----I am practicing!!!

Let me know how the shakes come out............add a "touch of vanilla".

Rob Blaustein
11-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Smooth...like a chocolate shake ...
Hmm, I prefer my routers to be more like an egg cream, but that's me. Besides, don't you mean "like a malted"?

Back to routers--looks nice. I only have two and they are both bigger, so one day I will likely pick up a smaller one. Thanks for the tip/review.

-Rob

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Hmm, I prefer my routers to be more like an egg cream, but that's me. Besides, don't you mean "like a malted"?

Back to routers--looks nice. I only have two and they are both bigger, so one day I will likely pick up a smaller one. Thanks for the tip/review.

-Rob

"A malted" an "Eggcream" are you from the Lower East Side where I learned stick ball and stoop ball?

jerry cousins
11-22-2005, 12:02 PM
thanks for the review - this one has been on my radar for a while. was looking for a small handheld to do veneer pipings and inlays.

jerry

Dan Stuewe
11-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I know they come in both a fixed speed and variable speed versions. I wonder how necessary variable speed is on a small router. The price difference is pretty small (from what I remember) but how much control do you need when you'll only be using the small bits?

Chris Barton
11-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the mini review. Does it have a plunge base available? I have many occasions where a small router with a precise plunge base would be great.

Andrew Ault
11-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Chris,

I don't think Bosch has one (yet?).

However, I just saw one for this router:

http://www.microfence.com/pages/Plunge/Zoom12.html

- Andy

Chris Barton
11-22-2005, 1:16 PM
Andy,

Wow! That's a very serious aftermarket plunge base! I may have to consider one of those paired with the bosch...

Jim Fancher
11-22-2005, 1:28 PM
Andy,

Wow! That's a very serious aftermarket plunge base! I may have to consider one of those paired with the bosch...

$400? Ouch. Looks pretty nice though.

John Stevens
11-22-2005, 1:48 PM
Mark (or anyone who knows):

Do you know whether an 8mm collet is available for this router?

Edit: I just found the answer by calling Bosch. In case anyone else is interested, no 8mm collet is available.

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 2:42 PM

It comes with 1/4" ....don't know about 8mm:confused:

Dave Falkenstein
11-22-2005, 2:48 PM
I saw this little router at the Phoenix Woodworking Show, and thought Bosch has scored a home run. It felt comfortable in my hand. I liked the rubber hand-hold area. The lock and depth adjustment appeared to be the best of the small routers I have seen - positive and quick. If I did not already have a PC310 I'd have one of these Bosch routers on the way. Can I REALLY use another trim router???

Per Swenson
11-22-2005, 3:01 PM
<!--StartFragment --> Mark,

Nice little unit.

I'm with Mr. Turner, "whats another router."

I always justify it by, one for the shop, one for the road.

By the way, on my side of lower Manhattan its,

Off da stoop, off da wall and off da curb.

Egg cream's rule and going to the malt shop

was code for .... well going to the malt shop.

Per

Tom Peterson
11-22-2005, 3:56 PM
Mark,
thanks for the mini review. The LOML saw this in the latest Popular Woodworking magazine and then looked it up in the Woodworkers supply catalog that came the same day. She said "looks like something you could use". Dumb me told her I already had a PC trim router. (which I have never used on laminate trim, just to get into tight quarters) The corner on the catalog is still turned over maybe it will arrive next month.

Bill Simmeth
11-22-2005, 4:38 PM
I got one of these (the PR20) about a month ago for edge work and like it much. I noticed last week that Pat Warner now offers his bases (round and offset) for this unit. I think I will add one of those, as it gives a bigger footprint than the stock base. http://www.patwarner.com/pr20_subbase.html

Jim Fancher
11-22-2005, 4:51 PM

Edit: I just found the answer by calling Bosch. In case anyone else is interested, no 8mm collet is available.

If you're looking for a small router that has an 8mm (as well as 6mm and 1/4") collet, take a look at the Trend T3. It has a plunge base too.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/shared/images/products/large/43154_clp.JPEG

Ed Breen
11-22-2005, 5:43 PM
In my New York it was stoop ball, stick ball, (keep the bat in a hole in the manhole cover in case the cops show up, and egg creams were nice but we also had a "two penny plain.":cool: :cool:

Chris Padilla
11-22-2005, 6:29 PM
Well, I don't have a small router! ;)

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 6:33 PM
In my New York it was stoop ball, stick ball, (keep the bat in a hole in the manhole cover in case the cops show up, and egg creams were nice but we also had a "two penny plain.":cool: :cool:

A broom stick I think. We played on Broom Street, Mercer and Pit...I wonder if that is how Broom St. got its name?

Corey Hallagan
11-22-2005, 7:27 PM
Mark, that is a very nice unit, congrats. I plan on getting one as well. I am a fan of Pat Warners offset bases, he has recently reviewed the unit and is also offering an offset base for it as well.

Corey

James Boster
11-22-2005, 7:36 PM
I've had one of these colts in my shop for about a month now. It is a great tool and comfortable to use. Beats the old laminate trimmer I was using. I highly recommend it to anyone needing a small routher.:D

Jamie Buxton
11-22-2005, 7:46 PM
Chris,

I don't think Bosch has one (yet?).

However, I just saw one for this router:

http://www.microfence.com/pages/Plunge/Zoom12.html

- Andy

Yeah, but the price is breathtaking: $400 for the plunge base, and another $180 for an edge guide.

John Scarpa
11-22-2005, 9:14 PM
There's a recommendation I'm not going to pass up. Especially at that price and it's more my one handed size than the one Sam Maloof uses!

John

David Fried
11-22-2005, 9:28 PM
Mark,

Why do I have visions of you putting the turkey, breasts down, and fixings in the vacuum bag for a few hours before cooking and then carving it up with this router?;)

Dave Fried

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Mark,

Why do I have visions of you putting the turkey, breasts down, and fixings in the vacuum bag for a few hours before cooking and then carving it up with this router?;)

Dave Fried

David,
How did you guess.....????:confused:
And one handed at that. The vacuum gauge will tell me when its ready and the Shlamaca chips will add a unique flavor to the smoking. I will first need to check the deflection in my BBQ and compare its deflection...a DCS to Viking, Turbo, Links and Grizzly if they make one...the BTU output is also essential...I will have a very long post comparing old BBQ's to newer ones made in China and sold by mail order... I really believe the quality of the BBQ is responsible for the taste of the turkey and not my cooking ability
I use a guacamole recipe with Avagadro's number...6.02 x 10 to the 23rd...Thanksgiving is a wonderful time...I will smoke the turkey but only if I run out of other stuff to smoke. Then I will single handed , using the Bosch Colt , up cut spiral from Whiteside for the breast and Amana for the refrigerator....cut the Turkey....breast down ...I really can't share and tips or techniques that may help anyone ...I only want to talk about BBQ and maybe sauce or propane versus natural gas...In Spanish an Avagadro is an attorney...hope that helps with your decision to buy the Bosch Colt...
Well I am using tung oil instead of peanut on the bag (David Marks)...I better go check;)