PDA

View Full Version : Security cameras

John Terefenko
07-20-2018, 11:50 PM
I see many of these micro small security cameras and was wondering do any of you have these and if so what is your report on them. Looking to just set something up for security at my mailbox that is easy to conceal. Any thoughts.

Alan Rutherford
07-21-2018, 6:32 PM
How far to the mailbox? Is there power there? What do you want to view it on (dedicated monitor, your TV by switching inputs, your PC, your phone)? Live only or record? Record on motion? Daytime only? Budget?

I have some cameras that were cheap when I bought them 15 years ago that have 100' of cable connected and plug into anything with an RCA connector and a 12v dc power brick. They will tell you if someone is at the mailbox and if they are close enough you will recognize them.

A DVR for security cameras is cheap these days - probably $50 and up - and any camera with a BNC connector will plug in. The RCA connectors can adapt to BNC. The DVR lets you record, record on motion, view on a monitor or a connected PC, view on your phone with the right software and configuration.

IP cameras are where it's going. Each camera is a mini-computer and connects via Ethernet cable to an NVR (Network Video Recorder). They cost twice as much but you can do much more with them. Some are wireless and you can get cheaper wireless cameras but setup and reception can be problematic.

The easiest is a cheap camera and a used TV or monitor. Just make sure all the connectors are compatible and don't expect too much.

John Halsted
07-21-2018, 6:34 PM
I'm really big into Ubiquiti products. I have a bunch of their Unifi UVC-G3 cameras all over the place.

Matt Meiser
07-22-2018, 9:44 AM
I'm really big into Ubiquiti products. I have a bunch of their Unifi UVC-G3 cameras all over the place.

Didn't know they were making cameras now. Big fan of their access points.

Mark Carlson
07-22-2018, 10:38 AM
I started using Foscam IP cameras about 5 years ago. Not for the faint of heart to setup given the amount of network configuration. Probably better now. Switched to netgear arlo cameras in the last year. The arlo is battery operated so its wireless. Battery lasts for about 4-6 months. It connects to a base station thats on your network. Takes ten minutes to hook up a camera and the camera can be put anywhere on your property, like in a tree pointing at your mailbox. It records short clips when it detects motion by default and sends the clip to the cloud where it keeps the clips for 7 days for up to 5 cameras for free. If you want continuous recording or AI capabilities you can do that but need to be hard wired and pay for the that. I just want an alert to my phone and a video when someone triggers the camera.

Chuck Wintle
07-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Didn't know they were making cameras now. Big fan of their access points.
What exactly is an access point? Is it just the wireless connection that is available? And not trying hijack the thread but what sets Ubiquity products from others? :D

John Terefenko
07-22-2018, 11:29 PM
I started using Foscam IP cameras about 5 years ago. Not for the faint of heart to setup given the amount of network configuration. Probably better now. Switched to netgear arlo cameras in the last year. The arlo is battery operated so its wireless. Battery lasts for about 4-6 months. It connects to a base station thats on your network. Takes ten minutes to hook up a camera and the camera can be put anywhere on your property, like in a tree pointing at your mailbox. It records short clips when it detects motion by default and sends the clip to the cloud where it keeps the clips for 7 days for up to 5 cameras for free. If you want continuous recording or AI capabilities you can do that but need to be hard wired and pay for the that. I just want an alert to my phone and a video when someone triggers the camera.

This sounds like something I maybe interested in. Do you have a link or some model numbers???

Mark Carlson
07-23-2018, 8:40 AM
I'd get the latest version, the Arlo Pro 2. Each version got better (Orig Arlo, Arlo Pro, and Arlo Pro 2), ie higher resolution, better detection and more capable. Sold on amazon or arlo.com. Note: these cameras are not cheap.

This sounds like something I maybe interested in. Do you have a link or some model numbers???