PDA

View Full Version : spindle turning makes you a better turner.

JohnC Lucas
07-20-2018, 7:50 PM
So does practice practice practice. so when my friend called and asked if I would be willing to do these I said yes. I turned these spindles for a friend who is making a 4 poster bed. He is doing the lower parts but just felt uncomfortable trying to do the upper spindles. These are 2 part. The top 14" will screw off to make it easier to move the bed. I did these entirely by eye so the coves and long sweeping curves may be off just a little. That is so a close eye can tell it was hand turned and not machine done. I could have made a template and made each one virtually the same but that wasn't necessary in this case.

Roger Chandler
07-20-2018, 8:30 PM
Nice work John!

Doug Wisecup
07-20-2018, 10:13 PM
Those look very good! What kind of wood?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Nicely done John! I actually enjoy spindle turning.

Mick Fagan
07-21-2018, 12:46 AM
When I first started turning, I was told I should practice spindle turning as it would make me a better turner. I wasn't sure why this was so, but I now know it does. When coming back to turning after a period away, I now start with a small spindle turning practice to get me in the groove.

Very nice job there.

Mick.

David M Peters
07-22-2018, 10:32 PM
I wish there were more "everyday" items that were spindle-turned! Bowls are very practical and salable so we tend to get pretty good at making them. For me anyway, spindle turning is something I do only on occasion and then for utility items like a tool handle.