PDA

View Full Version : Any motorcycle commuters here?

Harold Balzonia
07-19-2018, 11:36 PM
I知 set to get my motorcycle license in a couple weeks and a new bike shortly thereafter. Just for reference, I知 curious if anyone has recommendations or experiences they壇 like to share with a new rider?

all of my hot rodding is out of my system and I知 awfully conservative nowadays so I won稚 be popping wheelies or riding 100mph, splitting lanes. I知 just looking forward to cruising down the highway and doing my short errands on a vehicle that gets 50+ mpg and is fun.

im looking very seriously at the Kawasaki Versys 650, if anyone has comments about that specific bike, I壇 love to hear it.

Jason Roehl
07-20-2018, 6:15 AM
Head on a swivel, and never assume anyone can see you--look out for #1. Take a safety class if you haven't already. Be careful out there--many more people on cellphones and texting than when I started riding 25 years ago.

Steve Eure
07-20-2018, 8:39 AM
Watch out for other drivers around you. Stay clear of semi's. The wind from their trailers can suck you into them. Assume that NO ONE can see you.

Jim Becker
07-20-2018, 10:00 AM
I know several folks who commute using motorcycles during nicer weather. The comments above are spot-on about being very careful of distracted drivers...even folks who are not distracted sometimes don't see motorcycles all that well. Consider wearing something "really visible" instead of the more traditional black, too. This is not a time to be shy and blend into the background!

Peter Kelly
07-20-2018, 10:32 AM
im looking very seriously at the Kawasaki Versys 650, if anyone has comments about that specific bike, I’d love to hear it.Nice bike, one piece of advice if you're buying new, I'd recommend splurging on OEM panniers or top case. These can all be keyed by Kawasaki to match the ignition one, think there's a helmet lock that works with the system as well.

Michael Weber
07-20-2018, 11:39 AM
That's a fine bike for local commuting. Any metric bike is likely to be dependable and a 650-750 size is a great choice for in town and even short highway trips. Even two up, but just FYI lots of folks soon crave something larger. I agree it's a dangerous world out there for bikers. To help with visibility I recommend a headlight modulator. Easy to install. Another easy mod is a brake light flasher that strobes the brake light for a short while when brakes are applied. It requires LED's in the brake light circuit but lots of kits are available. Both mods make you more visible. I'm guessing new bikes come with self cancelling turn signals but if yours does not have that feature it can be added after market as well. Of course helmet (at least) at all times. Modified to add that motorcycle horns are generally worthless and I recommend replacement. I use a Wolo Bad Boy that's pretty loud but some add car horns or air horns. I'm not bashful about giving a quick beep if I'm approaching an intersection and unsure if drivers see me. Be safe.

Mike Wilkins
07-20-2018, 3:14 PM
Great suggestions by all. After you start riding, begin by practicing control and braking on deserted back roads; those with little traffic. I had been away from riding for over 20 years and got back in around 2013. All of my riding was on these back roads for several months before getting comfortable on streets with more traffic. Cautiously comfortable; there are some mud brains out there.
And don't forget ear protection; from wind noise, not the motor, unless you are riding a 2 stroke.

Rod Sheridan
07-20-2018, 5:02 PM
Hi, sounds like a good bike.

I've ridden more than 1,000,000 kilometres, most of it on 2 BMW's.

I have a 1976 R90/6 with 500,000Km on it, and a 2013 F700GS.

My first recommendation is a full face helmet, gloves, boots and a proper riding suit, I have the 2 piece Darien, it's very weather proof. I don't need the liner until maybe 5C.

Wear this every time you ride, my darien is Hi Viz yellow, as are my tank bags and tank panniers. I also ride with earplugs, improves my hearing on the bike, reduces rider fatigue.

Factory luggage is nice, I have it on my 2 BMW's, as well as a tank bag and tank panniers for trips.

Don't forget to take a refresher course every 5 years maximum, as a former riding instructor I know how fast my skills deteriorate........Welcome to the riding club.

The size of bike you're looking at is great for around town or across country. Most of my riding has been on bikes of 60HP or less, and I've been through all 3 countries in North America.

Kev Williams
07-20-2018, 9:01 PM
This may be a bit controversial, but I've been riding for 40 years, and:

If you're driving a QUIET bike, prepare to defend your life in the form of dodging cars moving into your lane while you're in it, nearly every other time you ride. Doesn't matter how big the bike is either.
How my '84 Aspencade can be completely invisible to people in cars is a total mystery...
--but it is!

But, if you're driving something akin to a LOUD straight-piped Harley, You Will Be Safer.
I've owned this '75 Sporty since 1992--
and I can't remember one time that a car ever changed lanes into me. The ONLY close call I've ever had on this bike was some lady who almost ran into the back of me at the bottom of a cloverleaf off-ramp. But I did see her coming in the mirrors...

That's my 2c on one way to stay safe :) Aside from that, keep eagle eyes on everyone around you at all times, and always leave yourself an OUT.

Enjoy! :)

Bert Kemp
07-21-2018, 7:36 PM
All good suggestions. I've been riding for over 50 years I'm creeping up on 2 million miles on a bike.
Keep a sharp eye out for people making left turns in front of you, watch those intersections, its one of the biggest accident cause's of all bike car accidents, and they always say I DIDN'T SEE HIM!!:mad:
Also I found one of the hardest things to learn when cornering is look way out in front of you, not at the road directly in frt of you but look around the curve. The bike will follow your eyes, and don't panic if you think your not gonna make it lean into it and DON"T hit the brakes. Hitting the brakes makes the bike stand up and you go right off the road. The bike will hold the road unless your really going insanely to fast.

Aaron Rosenthal
07-22-2018, 2:12 AM
A Harley rider chimeing in here. Riding since '71, almost everywhere in the world except South America and Asia.
All the above great suggestions.
Here, you cannot get a license without an approved rider course (I'm grandfathered thank the deity). Take a riders course. Also, get into an advanced rider low speed handling course - search engine for one in your area.
Im 73 and I just cannot stop riding. Have fun.

Steve Burke
07-25-2018, 10:29 AM
While riding in the right lane of a 4 lane road, stay in the left portion of the road. If you are in the left lane stsy in the right portion of the road, you aremore visable to drivers and have room to manuver if needed.
Never ride in the center of any lane, thats where the cars drop oil onto the road.
When coming to an intersection that has a vehicle waiting to go, glance to see where the driver is looking, and watch for movement of the front wheels. That will tell you if they are moving.

John K Jordan
07-25-2018, 10:55 AM
I used to, but not for years. It was great fun and fuel costs were so cheap.

If new to motorcycles, practice practice practice. Take the bike to a big empty parking lot and practice starting/stopping, pretending to pull out onto a road while turning both ways, accelerating/braking, gentle and hard braking in a curve, emergency stops, sudden swerves. Take someone with you to help pick up a heavy bike when it falls over (I've seen it happen). Practice on roads with almost no traffic. Practice staying exactly where you want in a lane during a curve, especially one with a tightening curvature (spiral). I've watched beginners run off or nearly run off the road on such curves before they learned to anticipate and control.

If your state doesn't require a helmet, wear one anyway.

I rode in all seasons and weather. In the winter, good clothing is essential, gauntlet gloves for the hands.

A heavy leather jacket saved my skin once on a slide on pavement. (wet spot on tight curve, sun in the eyes but that was no excuse)

I always drove road bikes as if I were invisible. I EXPECTED trucks to pull into my lane and was always ready for it. I expected cars to pull out in front of me and people to step off the curb even in the middle of the block.

Be oh so careful, every second. An emergency room doctor friend told too many stories. At some point I discovered enduro and dirt bikes and gave up the road lottery.

JKJ

andrew whicker
07-26-2018, 6:16 PM
I have that bike! Rode it from Utah to Indiana and back last summer!

Agreed with the:

- safety course
- parking lots
- rural roads
- full synthetic gear is nice (breathable outer plus rain proof / warmer removable inside)
- full face helmet
- panniers are sweet (grocery shopping is more fun)
- don't put armorall tire shine chemical on your tires. It's slippery.
- buy tires online to save money

Have fun. Great hobby. Learn wheelies. Buy a track only sport bike and do track days.

: )

Bob Glenn
08-03-2018, 1:49 PM
Don't buy in to that "loud pipes save lives" crap. Loud pipes are illegal and extenuate the bad biker image. Just sayin...........

Perry Hilbert Jr
08-03-2018, 2:54 PM
Commuted to a job on my Moto Guzzi in my younger years. Only went about 12 miles each way on busy two lane highways through several small towns. One after noon, an old lady just pulled out from a burger joint and stopped dead across my lane. Down I went. I wasn't hurt but the guzzi was majorly mashed up when it slid into an oncoming truck. Never went back to riding. Thought about it many times. (Bystanders started yelling at me, for some reason, but a police officer in his car across the street saw everything and got them to shut up.) I found out at the traffic hearing that the kids took the lady's keys and car away from her. Apparently three accidents in 5 months.

andrew whicker
08-03-2018, 3:11 PM
I had an old lady pull over into my lane on a highway. I just 'merged' onto the rumble strip / break down lane. As I was passing her I looked at her and she gave ME the finger!

Haha, you're always at fault when you ride a motorcycle.

Mike Ontko
08-06-2018, 6:58 PM
I commuted for 15-years, first for two years on a Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre and then on a ZG1000-A13 Concours for the rest of that time. I really miss the riding but the daily ride got to be a little long, especially here in the Pacific Northwest where the roads can be wet and potentially slick for a good portion of the year. Auto drivers seemed to get crazier and crazier as well, but maybe that was just me turning into a gheezer over time.

I haven't read through the entire post yet, so excuse me if I repeat anything.

If you've got the money and time, I'd recommend taking a motorcycle safety course. Even if you're an experienced rider already, there's always something helpful that you can pick up from the classroom and on-bike sessions.

For whatever bike you decide to get, buy the best tires you can afford...even if you can't afford them. With only two tires making contact (hopefully at all times) the quality of the rubber, tread design, and wear are key to keeping you safe and in-touch with the road surface.

If you're going to be riding regularly, invest in good protective riding gear. Jacket, pants, helmet, eye protection, gloves, boots, etc. And, make sure you've got what you need for any season that you plan to be riding in. My daily suit was a kevlar type (Marsee). I think they wear better, breathe better, and hold up to the elements much better. Leave the leather and WWII German infantry helmet to the ones who are riding their solar powered recliners.

Maintain your bike. I'm sure it goes without saying that regular maintenance including daily checks of your brakes, lights, fluids, etc. will help ensure that your daily rides will be a little more enjoyable. It's certainly no fun to be stuck on the side of the road in full gear on a 90+ degree day because your air cooled bike has a collapsed fuel line. Don't ask me how I know this.

Saddle bags are almost a necessity for daily commuting. If your bike doesn't come with them, then buy the best aftermarket set you can afford, preferably hard shell (less prone to leaks). A bike with a fairing is a nice thing as well, especially if you're riding in the rain.

It's also worth mentioning that I lost two friends, who were both regular commuters, to accidents that were both completely avoidable. In both cases, each driver was going too fast for the conditions or situation. One tried making a stop light about to turn red and met a left-turning 4x4, and the other was simply taking a turn at too high a speed coming off the highway. Know your bike and always be aware of your surroundings! The acronymn SIPDE is a good thing to know as well, which you'll learn when you take the safety course.

Happy...and safe riding!

Chris Padilla
08-13-2018, 2:38 PM
Do you motorcyclists split lanes?

I had a run in a year or two ago with a motorcyclist who, I'm guessing, felt I was trying to 'pinch' him as he split a lane on my right.

Honestly, I didn't see the guy until he was on my front fender and wildly gesturing at me. My wife and I were like, "Huh? What's this guy's problem?"

So he got into the lane to my right and he kept waving me forward at which time he then hung on my rear bumper. So then I understood what he was (likely) upset about.

He follows us as I exit and my wife and I are trying to think of the nearest police station to drive to as there was no way I was heading home with this guy following us obviously upset. At the next light, I lose sight of him and then up pulls up to my wife's window and start hollering at us, many expletives, suggestions of what he'd like to do to us, etc. It got quite scary and I wish I had thought to get my phone out and record the whole thing but I did not. He got zero reaction from us but I was staring at him to see if he was going to do something to the car and then he pounded the door glass scaring the crap out of my wife and then the light changed and we took off and I lost sight of him again. We spent the next 15 minutes taking a very long and arbitrary ride home gathering ourselves and hoping this lunatic wasn't following us. Blah....

I'm not fond of the lane-splitting stuff and apparently it is legal (here in CA) but under 30 mph; we were doing easily 60+ when our incident happened. I would say that splitting is usually done at 30+ around here. I dunno...I find it quite dangerous. I can understand the temptation but it sure looks dicey to me at these high speeds. In stop 'n go, it is no big deal.

Michael Weber
08-13-2018, 4:01 PM
As a biker that's embarrassing to read. Some people just act like anyone that causes the slightest inconvenience is out to get them and take it WAY too personal. You did the right thing in not confronting this idiot. I guess some car drivers do the same. Oh, and no I have never lane split. Consider it an accident waiting to happen. Don't know if it's legal here or not.

Peter Kelly
08-14-2018, 3:11 PM
Lane splitting is only legal in one state, California.

Utterly stupid thing to do at any speed, especially 60+ mph.

Chris Padilla
08-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Very interesting, Peter. I had thought that it was accepted elsewhere. I saw it all the time in Europe when we were there for a month vacationing BUT it was mostly in cities where vehicle speeds tend to be low. Can't say that it happened much, if at all, out on the main roads there.

But I agree, I think it is a bad precedent to set.

Peter Kelly
08-15-2018, 5:07 PM
It can get pretty uncomfortably hot and annoying sitting there waiting for traffic to move in LA or SF so I get why the state of CA decided to develop guidelines around it. Just too many distracted automobile drivers out there these days for it to be safe in anything but completely stopped traffic imo.

Dennis Peacock
08-17-2018, 9:46 AM
Congrats!
#1 - Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course....THEN practice everything you learned in the course at least once each quarter...especially the stuff you learned about brake and swerve as well as emergency braking.
#2 - Ride like EVERYBODY can't see you. My safety instructor was a nationally license motorcycle cop instructor. I asked him, "Hey, what do YOU do to make people see you on the highway?" His reply? Let me tell you this...if they don't see a 900 pound Harley with Red/Blue lights flashing and a super loud siren blasting and all this not 100 feet from them? Then I don't care what you do to your bike...they simply aren't going to see you and THIS is why I teach to ride like nobody can see you.
#3 - I've been riding for over 50 years. I'd been riding for over 35 years when I took the MSF course and I learned SO MUCH that it actually saved my life 4 times in the first year after I took the course.
#4 - If you do not PRACTICE your emergency and safety maneuvers after you learn them? Then what good did the safety course do you if you don't practice and learn to master those life saving skills?
#5 - Wear a "good" helmet and GREAT eye protection. Rocks and things thrown from tires can take out an eye...even through RayBan sunglasses. I know a biker that lost an eye due to a rock getting picked up and thrown from the road into his sunglasses and took out an eye.
#6 - Most of All.....Ride Safe and ENJOY the ride! I love riding and I love it for my commute.

The Versys is a great bike! My Son-in-law has one and he absolutely LOVES it....and he's had MANY motorcycles in his years of riding. I have had 23 different motorcycles since I first started riding. The bike I have and am still riding is a 1997 Honda Valkyrie Tour. It's a LOT of bike with a LOT of squeal factor (because it's a 1,500 CC flat 6 engine) but it rides better than my living room couch. :D

Any other questions? Ask me via PM and I'll do all I can to answer and help.

Michael Weber
08-17-2018, 11:14 AM
391712391711Dennis, perhaps you should start a SMC sub topic for Valkyrie fans:rolleyes:

Harry Hagan
08-20-2018, 10:48 AM
This may be a bit controversial, but I've been riding for 40 years, and:

If you're driving a QUIET bike, prepare to defend your life in the form of dodging cars moving into your lane while you're in it, nearly every other time you ride. Doesn't matter how big the bike is either.
How my '84 Aspencade can be completely invisible to people in cars is a total mystery...
--but it is!

But, if you're driving something akin to a LOUD straight-piped Harley, You Will Be Safer.
I've owned this '75 Sporty since 1992--
and I can't remember one time that a car ever changed lanes into me. The ONLY close call I've ever had on this bike was some lady who almost ran into the back of me at the bottom of a cloverleaf off-ramp. But I did see her coming in the mirrors...

That's my 2c on one way to stay safe :) Aside from that, keep eagle eyes on everyone around you at all times, and always leave yourself an OUT.

Enjoy! :)

You got that right!!! Harley rider here with Screaming Eagle pipes. It's more manly to blip your throttle than toot your horn. And safer too. You need to let 'em KNOW you're there!

Chris Padilla
08-20-2018, 6:21 PM
Well, there is something to be said about startling people. I guess I'm jaded with loud pipes on motorcyclists splitting lanes at high speeds. I guess it is tough out there for everyone! :)

Julie Moriarty
08-20-2018, 7:07 PM
I知 set to get my motorcycle license in a couple weeks and a new bike shortly thereafter. Just for reference, I知 curious if anyone has recommendations or experiences they壇 like to share with a new rider?
The summers after junior and senior year in high school I rode to work, and pretty much everywhere else, on my Honda Scrambler 90. I owned bikes for another 12 years. I learned a lot.

1. Ride like you are invisible. I had a guy make a left hand turn into me in broad daylight. Never saw me. I came to on the hood of his car and he was holding onto his steering wheel, staring through the windshield at me, frozen.

2. Ride where the car tires ride. The middle of the road is oily and dirty.

3. Newly wet pavement is just as slick as oil. Try to stop too fast and you could end up on the pavement. I did.

4. If the road is gravelly and you come on a pothole, sometimes it's best to slow as much as you can and ride through the pothole. Swerving at the last second might cause your rear wheel to slide into the pothole and down you go. Yeah, I did that too.

5. That bike you are looking at has a lot of power. A friend of mine bought a new Kawasaki 1000. He knew I rode and told me to take it for a spin. I stopped at a street light then made a right turn. I gave it a little gas coming through the turn and almost laid it down. Thankfully, I regained control. That thing was crazy fast!

Michael Weber
08-21-2018, 11:39 AM
There was a fatal motorcycle accident locally day before yesterday. 50 year old on a Harley. Clear weather and good daylight road conditions. Oncoming pickup pulled into his lane. No other details about speed or helmet usage. Real sad. It's the reason I have a headlight modulator. No guaranty of course.

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Motorcycles with loud pipes are over-represented in accident statistics. Whenever I hear the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" theory I always ask people to explain vehicle collisions with locomotives, I mean they're loud, large and make the earth shake yet people drive into them.

I ride with a high vis suit on a quiet motorcycle. Rider training and proper riding gear is the only proven accident and injury reduction method (aside from taking the car).

regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2018, 12:00 PM
No Chris I don't split lanes, it's illegal where I live................Regards, Rod.

Peter Kelly
08-21-2018, 7:30 PM
Motorcycles with loud pipes are over-represented in accident statistics. Whenever I hear the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" theory I always ask people to explain vehicle collisions with locomotives, I mean they're loud, large and make the earth shake yet people drive into them.

I ride with a high vis suit on a quiet motorcycle. Rider training and proper riding gear is the only proven accident and injury reduction method (aside from taking the car).

regards, Rod.Well said.

If I ever move out of the city, my first choice for commuting would be a near silent, transmission free, gas free model.

https://d2k6fukgv6pr2f.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/category/zero-dsr-2016.jpg

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds

Harold Balzonia
08-27-2018, 9:10 PM
Thanks to all of you riders who chimed in... I just finished the 2 1/2 day motorcycle training and safety course and it was good fun. I learned a ton and didn’t drop their bike, so it was a win!

The safety parts of the course echoed much of what you all mentioned and I feel well prepared to begin to ride and feel I can do so safely. Seat time is going to be the best teacher, but I feel like I got a huge head start by enrolling in the class.

I’ve spoken to some owners and done a lot of online research and I think the Kawasaki Versys 650 is the bike I’ll go with, but if anyone has other suggestions on similar bikes, I’m happy to hear them. Thanks again!

Rick McQuay
08-28-2018, 2:44 AM
I was lucky enough to ride dirt bikes as a teenager so I had some skills going into street riding. Been riding off and on since. Keep yourself alive. Drivers are idiots. I can't count how many people I've seen texting, reading books, putting on makeup, or other things when they should be watching the road. Treat every intersection like a death trap. Assume everyone is an idiot. I popped a tire in Oregon once, back in the early 90's, this old timer helped me out and gave me good advice; he said that if you ride enough an accident is inevitable. IT WILL HAPPEN. And every day since that day, when I throw a leg over my bike, I remember that guy and think TODAY COULD BE THE DAY. And I ride like it is.

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2018, 10:42 AM
I was lucky enough to ride dirt bikes as a teenager so I had some skills going into street riding. Been riding off and on since. Keep yourself alive. Drivers are idiots. I can't count how many people I've seen texting, reading books, putting on makeup, or other things when they should be watching the road. Treat every intersection like a death trap. Assume everyone is an idiot. I popped a tire in Oregon once, back in the early 90's, this old timer helped me out and gave me good advice; he said that if you ride enough an accident is inevitable. IT WILL HAPPEN. And every day since that day, when I throw a leg over my bike, I remember that guy and think TODAY COULD BE THE DAY. And I ride like it is.

Excellent Advice!!!! I'd like to also add....."lane position" is key for better "cager" visibility. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to later on that started to pull out in front of me and then quickly stopped that said, had you not been riding close to the center line of your lane? I'd never have seen you. I always ride to the left side of my lane so that I can have a better opportunity to be seen. I, myself, have noticed this when I'm driving in my car somewhere and a motorcyclist is riding to the extreme right side of the lane closest to the edge of the road and had I not looked "twice"...I'd never have seen them. I've learned to check from roadside to roadside, across all lanes to ensure I don't have a biker or scooter coming towards me riding on the extreme right line of the road.

One more thing.......When you are stopped in traffic, maybe at a traffic light, make sure you are extreme left of the lane, about 10 feet back from the left rear side of the vehicle in front of you and ALWAYS check your mirrors for approaching traffic coming up from behind you. We've had 4 bikers killed in the last 2 years by being rear ended at a traffic signal. Keep your bike IN GEAR, watch your mirror until you have vehicles stopped behind you. AND Should you notice someone coming up way too fast behind you and you feel unsafe still sitting there? Scoot quickly to the left rear side of the vehicle in front of you so that they will take the initial force of the impact and not you.
Yes, you may get some funny looks, but in my book, better safe....than sorry.