PDA

View Full Version : Planner noise increase with Dust collection

Sparky Paessler
11-22-2005, 8:27 AM
I did several searches and didn't find anything on this but I'm sure it is a common problem. When I hooked my cyclone to my 15" powermatic planner last night it seems to almost double the noise level of the planner. I'm sure it has something to do with the airflow over the knives as I tried it with the cyclone off but all the ductwork connected and it was the regular noise level. Is there anything I can do about this. It was loud before but now it really screams and with my workshop in the basement you can hear it through out the house.

Matt Meiser
11-22-2005, 8:35 AM
Mine is the same way, so it is a common issue.

Sparky Paessler
11-22-2005, 8:41 AM
Thanks Matt, glad to know it's not just my planner. It didn't seem as bad when I was running a 4" line to my old 1HP collector but now with a new 6" hood and duct going to the cyclone it is really loud!

tod evans
11-22-2005, 8:54 AM
yup, turbulent air is noisy padding the ductwork only helps a little, really not worth the effort for me. tod

Ralph Barhorst
11-22-2005, 8:54 AM
Your new DC may be moving a lot more air than necessary for your planer. Have you tried decreasing the air flow by opening another duct somewhere else in your shop until the noise drops down? You may find that you still have plenty of air flow at the planer to collect the dust.

Jamie Buxton
11-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Ralph's got it right. I had the same problem with a 12" jointer, and solved it with essentially the same solution as he did.

Bryan Cowing
11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
my 20" asian planer has an ajustable phenolic plate on the top that stops chips from going round and round the cutterhead, just move it back a little to stop it acting like a siren. Other planer brands may have the same type of plate. The top hood has to be removed on mine to access it.

martyphee
11-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Oh ya. I have a torit 5hp 2200cfm DC hooked to my Delta 18" and it sounds like a jet engine when their running together.

Individually their not bad, but somthing about the cutterhead and the air rushing over it causes some pretty high pitch sounds.

Sparky Paessler
11-22-2005, 6:28 PM
my 20" asian planer has an ajustable phenolic plate on the top that stops chips from going round and round the cutterhead, just move it back a little to stop it acting like a siren. Other planer brands may have the same type of plate. The top hood has to be removed on mine to access it.

Thanks Bryan, I pulled the top off mine and it also had the phenolic plate in it. I adjusted it further away from the cutterhead and it decreased the noise level with the collector running considerabily.