PDA

View Full Version : Fiber laser

Terry Wade
07-19-2018, 11:52 AM
I've been looking into the fiber laser arena and I see lasers that have a cabinet and some that they call portable, I am trying to figure out the pro's and con's of the 2 and if I were to decide to purchase one which would be the best way to go? I saw a portable that is 50 watts by Ray Fine that got my attention, is it a decent machine? are the portables really that portable? or is there some other machines that might be better? Just looking for opinions.......Thanks Terry Wade

Kev Williams
07-19-2018, 12:22 PM
portables have handles to carry them around- they're like heavy large computer towers. But they ARE portable.

One attached to a cabinet is only as portable as the cabinet is.

I have a portable, thankfully. At least half of the work I do with the machine couldn't be done with a cabinet model.

John Lifer
07-19-2018, 12:33 PM
I've a RF 20 Watt, really no difference in size vs power, same size computer box. No problems with the machine, (either my CO2 or the Fiber). I think you are safe in most instances with a fiber from anyone that will supply parts under warranty. It is electronic, if it works when you first set up, it should work for years. And it looks the same as 90% of the other fibers offered. Except for Ray Fine logo on side. :D

As far as portable, it is to a degree. You have a roughly meter long cable group that is 1" in diameter (in a corrugated plastic cover) the table, column and head probably weighs 40 pounds. +-5
The computer cabinet is about the same, maybe a bit more, 45. Mine has two handles on top, one towards each end. And you need both to pick it up unless you are a gorilla. So roughly 100 pounds for the setup. And did I mention the cable? It is really the pain as it can't be disconnected. You have other cables, power, ground and USB for screen keyboard and mouse which all can be removed from computer. I've got an old rubbermaid rolling cart that I have used to make portable. And I have to put the computer cabinet flat on the center shelf. What a pain. If I had the cash and wanted to make really portable, I would buy a cart that had room to place computer on vertically. I think one of Harbor Freight's smaller carts would work, (or can be made to work with a drill)

I DO know I'd hate to think I had to throw in a truck or car every day to move to new site.

I don't think there really is advantage to the desktop unless you need it on a desktop and don't have one and it won't ever be moved. (industrial use in fixed location)

Tim Bateson
07-23-2018, 1:34 PM
I have a 50 watt "portable" fiber. As Kev said it looks like a PC box with handles, but mine must weight at least 75-90 lbs. Portables like mine - ENSURE you purchase a GOOD quality eye-ware for the frequency of your laser. I also got a spare set I hang from my shop door along with a sign that the laser is in use.

Kev Williams
07-23-2018, 2:54 PM
I have a 50 watt "portable" fiber. As Kev said it looks like a PC box with handles, but mine must weight at least 75-90 lbs. Portables like mine - ENSURE you purchase a GOOD quality eye-ware for the frequency of your laser. I also got a spare set I hang from my shop door along with a sign that the laser is in use.
To the best of my knowledge <disclaimer ;) -- There's 2 basic types of laser eyewear, at least for fiber-wavelength lasers, those that reflect laser light, and those that absorb laser light- you want the absorption style. Reason being (I've read) is that IF you scratch the lens of reflection lenses, the scratch can let laser light penetrate thru, whereas absorption type lenses are fully functional throughout the full lens thickness.