PDA

View Full Version : The words we have been waiting to say...

Jim Becker
11-22-2005, 6:26 AM
Alison and I are “more than proud” to announce that at about 11:10 this morning local time, the presiding judge in room 220 of the Tyumen courthouse named us parents of Anastasiya Evans Becker and Alesya Evans Becker. The 10-day Appeal period was also waived. This was actually a triple-wonderful occasion as our girls’ friend Zhena was also adopted by our fellow Bridge of Hope travellers, Heather and Rick. It was an honor to share the special moments with them!

Court was an interesting experience in many ways, from the pre-session apprehension to the sensory effects of paying close eye contact with the judge and others while they spoke in Russian while the translator simulaniously streamed English into our minds. The judge was a very organized woman with a kind smile, who asked direct questions and expected direct answers. The procecutor, who is the advocate for both the children and the law, was equally direct and supportive. Both the representative from the orphanage and the official from the Ministry of Education and Science made clear recommendation that the adoption proceed. The “two Irinas” (facilitator & translator) did an incredible job preparing us all for the proceedings and clearly love what they do. Since she is 10, Anastasiya also had to appear briefly to answer some questions and agree to be adopted. Despite being nervous, she did a wonderful job and looked quite beautiful in her deep red, velvet dress and white tights.

After court, we drove to the local MOE office to do some additional paperwork and then returned to the hotel for photos and a group meal in one of the hotel eateries. As I type this (twice, since the Russian keyboard, umm...did something that made the computer “forgetful”), the girls are in the hotel pool with Alison. We have the remainder of today and tonight free as well as most of tomorrow. At about 4p local time tomorrow, we will drive to obtain the girls’ and Zhenia’s passports an get ready for our early flight to Moscow on Thursday morning. Once in Moscow, we have an appointment at the American Clinic for the girls’ brief medical checkup and an appointment at the US Embassy on Friday to obtain their visas so we can return to the US on Saturday. Once the plane lands in Philadelphia, Anastasiya and Alesya will automatically become US Citizens. (Although they retain Russian citizenship until at least age 18 when they can choose to keep it or abandon it)
-----

To backtrack just a little, we arrived in Tyumen on Sunday night and had a brief meal with Rick and Heather before retiring to our rooms to re-arrange the baggage. We had to be ready to travel with our donations to the Internat early on Monday. We also learned on our ride from the airport that we would be getting early custody of the children to make for easier logistics today relative to court...a true blessing getting physical custody prior to being officially named parents! Our younger girl had some insecurities about everything, both because she is hyper-sensitive to change and because the children had only learned we were coming for them that morning not long before we arrived. (There are a number of reasons for this, but due to the unpredictable nature of adoption, probably the wisest course)

After a two hour ride out to the boarding school, we spent three hours enjoying being reunited with the kids, meeting their friends, touring the facilties, enjoying a wonderful lunch prepared by the commissary staff and meeting their caretakers and the director. The caretakers, staff and teachers do a wonderful job with these kids...I can’t say enough how impressed we were with their efforts. We also had the opportunity to hand-deliver some letters to three other Bridge of Hope children who have familes waiting to travel as we have been doing. At the end of our visit, it was very sad saying goodbye to the close friends of the girls but wonderful to be on the road, united with “our kids” forever and moving forward to our court appearance today and beyond.

I have no doubt I’ve missed some details, but there will be plenty of time to write later. Until then...just smile. We are!

Speaking of smiles...see below. You can see a whole lot more at our photo site (http://toscax.us/), now open for your viewing pleasure.

Tony Falotico
11-22-2005, 6:34 AM
I can only imagine how wonderful you and Alison feel right now, they are absolutely adorable.

Congratulations to all of you, the best times of your life are just beginning......

And may I be the first to virtually say --- Welcome to the club, DADDY !

Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us, Best Wishes, Tony.

Glenn Clabo
11-22-2005, 6:37 AM
Until then...just smile. We are!

Congrats! What a wonderful story.

Keel McDonald
11-22-2005, 6:42 AM
Congratulations Jim! I know you'll make super parents. :)

Karl Laustrup
11-22-2005, 6:44 AM
CONGRATULATIONS BECKER FAMILY!!

I'm so glad I decided to check in before we head out this morning. I'm in King of Prussia and wish we could have met, Jim. However, under the circumstances, I can wait for another time. Safe trip home for all.

Karl

John Bailey
11-22-2005, 6:46 AM
Jim,

Only a smile!! I can feel a "Creeker's Smile" stretching across several continents right now. This is a fabulous story and I can't wait to see your photo album. Congratulations!!

John

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2005, 7:36 AM
Congratulations to the entire Becker Family! Went to the official photo site! Great pictures! Can't wait until we receive word from you that all the official paperwork is done and you are back home! Again....Congratulations! Life is extremely good!

Bob Winkler
11-22-2005, 7:39 AM
Words seem so inadequate right now- I'm so happy for you. I might add that the girls are very lucky to have such wonderful parents.

God Bless,
Bob

Mark Singer
11-22-2005, 7:40 AM
Mazel Tov! The pictures say it all.....This is one very happy family! Congradulations!

Michael Stafford
11-22-2005, 7:56 AM
Congratulations to you all! What cute little girls and how lucky they are to have you and Alison as parents. From all the ersatz grandparents here at Saw Mill Creek let me just say,

CONGRATULATIONS AND LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL !!!!!!

Tyler Howell
11-22-2005, 7:59 AM
Congrats Alison and Jim,
The new adventures and joys are worth all the efforts and scrifices you've made.

Best wishes to you all.:cool:

John Hart
11-22-2005, 8:08 AM
CONGRATULATIONS BECKER FAMILY!!!!:) :) :)

And what an awesome collection of photos you've accumulated. Just wonderful!! It's nice to finally get to see pics of the girls. Congrats again from the Hart Family!

Dan Gill
11-22-2005, 8:11 AM
All my heartfelt congratulations, Jim. Now you're a papa! I saw those two sweet faces, and my eyes filled with tears. I am sure their lives have not been easy up to this point. But you can change all that. Fathers are SO important to how little girls grow up.

Donnie Raines
11-22-2005, 8:31 AM
Now make sure you up that life insurance....:rolleyes: :cool:

tod evans
11-22-2005, 8:40 AM
congratulations!!

Tom Hamilton
11-22-2005, 8:49 AM
Wow, hard to type through the tears of joy, so congratulations, God speed on your trip home, and God's blessings on your life journey ahead.

It can only be wonderful. Tom

David Wilson
11-22-2005, 8:49 AM
Congratulations.

Martin Shupe
11-22-2005, 8:56 AM
Congratulations Jim and Alison!!!

I'll bet you are extremely relieved about the uncertainty and excited for the future!

Dan Larson
11-22-2005, 8:58 AM
Jim, just wanted to wish the very best to you and your family! I'm glad that everything worked out so well for you all.

Dan

Jerry Clark
11-22-2005, 9:02 AM
Great story Jim, and thanks for sharing your new life with us as your responsibilities double. Congratulations!

Erin Raasch
11-22-2005, 9:12 AM
Congratulations, Jim and Alison. Wow!!! Beautiful girls, it's easy to see how they could steal your hearts!

Erin

Bill Sampson
11-22-2005, 9:19 AM
Jim and Alison,

One can only imagine the joy you are now experiencing!!! All the best to your "complete" family.

Bill Sampson

Frank Pellow
11-22-2005, 9:23 AM
Congratulations Alison, Anastasiya, Alesya and Jim!

Dennis Peacock
11-22-2005, 9:25 AM
Simply Exciting.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of parenting Jim and Alison Becker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful story, great details and very pretty girls of whom I KNOW that each of you are very proud. :D :D

Thanks for the update and be safe.

JayStPeter
11-22-2005, 9:50 AM
Cool ... congrats

Jay

Ron Journeau
11-22-2005, 9:51 AM
:D :D :D :D Funny how news of this nature make the days seem a tad brighter, the sun shines longer, even the food tastes better. The Becker Family has just grown by leaps and bounds, and the Journeaus offer our heartfelt congratulations and best wishes for you and your beautiful young ladies.

Andy Hoyt
11-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Wait a second, please; I have to wipe the tears from my eyes.

I am very happy for all four of you.

Kent Cori
11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Congratulations to all the Beckers! I personally know how stressful setting up and adoption in the U. S. can be much less overseas but I also know how terrific you and Alison are feeling right about now.

And to top it off, you even kept the picture police at bay with a photo of your two newest additions!

Jeff Sudmeier
11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Jim,

I can't add much other than to say, being a new father myself I know how you feel!!

Congrats congrats and once again congrats!!!

Scott Coffelt
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Congrats to you all. You are very special people and I am sure they will adapt well to the US and their new home. Enjoy!

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2005, 11:07 AM
This is one WAY COOL!! Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for letting all of us share in your good news. Have a safe flight back. Jim.

Dave Anderson NH
11-22-2005, 11:14 AM
My heartiest congratulations to both you and Alison. I'm sure you can't wait to get the girls settled at home. It sounds like things went very smoothly for you. again my best wishes for the now enlarged Becker family.

Lars Thomas
11-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Jim, thanks for taking the time to share your joy with the rest of us. As the explosive growth of this thread indicates, we are all very happy and excited for you.

Based on some friends' experience, I know the adoption process can be gut-wrenching. I'm certainly happy that things turned out wonderful for you and Alison. It's a grueling path, but the destination makes it all worthwhile. You are a good man to provide for these girls. Lars

Bart Leetch
11-22-2005, 11:35 AM
This is great & wonderful news Jim & Alison & Anastasiya & Alesya.

This is the news we have been waiting for its wonderful to rejoice with you.

So Jim you now have what I so gleefully refer to as your dish breakers, when are you going to get a tool loser?:eek: :D

Von Bickley
11-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Jim,
Congratulations.... I'm sure that Thanksgiving 2005 will have a special meaning to the Becker Family.

Don Baer
11-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Congrats to all of you. I am sure that you'll both make wonderful parents. What a great story.

Ray Dockrey
11-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Congratulations to the whole Becker family. Looking at the pictures it is very evident God has blessed all of you.

Roger Myers
11-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Kathi and I send our warmest wishes to the entire Becker family. Congratulations Jim and Alison!! I too have tears in my eyes as I rejoice with you in the happy ending of one journey for you and the beginning of another.

Bruce Page
11-22-2005, 1:08 PM
That’s great news Jim! Congratulations to you, Alison, and to the beautiful young ladies! This is one of those rare win/win situations!!

Lou Morrissette
11-22-2005, 1:23 PM
Fantastic news, Jim! My heartfelt wishes to all the Becker family and have a safe trip home.

Lou

Alan Turner
11-22-2005, 1:35 PM
Jim and Alison,
Wonderful news. Paige and I wish your new and enlarged family safe travels home.

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-22-2005, 1:54 PM
Congratulations Jim and Alison,

What a wonderful new family. May God bless you all.

Roger

John Shuk
11-22-2005, 3:31 PM
Congratulations Jim and Allison.....and girls! They are both lovely and lucky!
John

Wes Bischel
11-22-2005, 3:37 PM
Great news! Did you note the fine print? It is on all adoption decrees and birth records:

{Hence forth, and forever more, those previously referred to as "Alison" and "Jim" shall be known exclusively as "Anastasiya and Alesya's Mom and Dad"}

Congratulations to all,
Wes

David Duke
11-22-2005, 3:42 PM
Just wanted to add my heartfelt congratulations and best wishes to you and yours.

Steve Knowlton
11-22-2005, 4:30 PM
Awesome Way To Start The Holiday Season. Great Smiles On The Girls. Congrats.

Neil Clemmons
11-22-2005, 4:39 PM
You win gloat of the year. The girls do too. Congratulations.

Neil

Vaughn McMillan
11-22-2005, 5:18 PM
Woot! :D

Definitely a Thanksgiving with some added thanks this year. All my best thoughts and wishes go out to you and your new "instant family". I've (we've) been on pins and needles waiting to hear the final (and successful) outcome on the adoption, and indeed it seems to have happened very smoothly. Thanks for sharing this personal jouirney with all the rest of us...it's been very heartwarmimg.

And thanks for the pic. Two very beautiful girls have now found a mommy and daddy. (Watch that Anastasiya though, she looks like trouble. :D)

- Vaughn

Ed Breen
11-22-2005, 6:01 PM
Congrats to the entire Becker family. As we enter this most wonderful time of the year I know that the glorious feelings you have today will be magnified a million times over the years.

From Ed, Betsy and our family.:)

Doug Shepard
11-22-2005, 6:09 PM
Congratulations. It should be an awesome Christmas this year for you.

Chad Pater
11-22-2005, 6:57 PM
Those smile say it all! Now get home and start making memories. Thx for letting us share in your joy.
Chad

Jim Hager
11-22-2005, 7:16 PM
Wonderful experience for all of you I'm sure. Congratulations are definately in order for your family. Have a safe trip back home. You are to be admired for having such a big heart as to adopt these children. I hope they bless you and your family for the rest of your lives.

Don Bergren
11-22-2005, 7:20 PM
Congratulations. I am so happy for you folks that I just can't stop smiling.

Richard Wolf
11-22-2005, 8:59 PM
Boy, you got two great looking girls. God Speed to the whole new family.

Richard

Roy Wall
11-22-2005, 9:29 PM
You win gloat of the year. The girls do too. Congratulations.

Neil

Ditto that remark:) Prayers for a safe trip home ......and what a way to begin the Hoilday Season!!!

Kids are the Best!!!

Tim Morton
11-22-2005, 9:37 PM
just awesome!!!cute kids!!!! Jim....buckle up man..the ride is JUST beginning;) ;)

Fred Voorhees
11-22-2005, 9:59 PM
Congratulations guys. It's been a long and tiring road I guess, but the results are obviously worth it.

John Miliunas
11-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Jim, Alison, I really don't know what more I can say, which I haven't already told you on a number of occasions! Congrats and be happy!:) :cool:

John Scarpa
11-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Contratulations to the Becker family. What a wonderful story. Those are two lucky young ladies to find a home in your family. A really great story!

Mike Forsman
11-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Jim,

Contratulations to you and your family. Children are a great joy.

Mike

Brad Schmid
11-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Wow, that's great! I'd been away from the site for a while and thought i'd check in tonight before heading off to bed. Glad I did. It's wonderful to hear such great news. I'm happy for you that your long journey is finally coming to a most excellent ending (or maybe that's 'beginning':) ) In any case, I suspect you'll remember this Thanksgiving above all others and forever:cool: Congratulations to the whole Becker family from the Schmid's!
Brad

Jim Becker
11-23-2005, 5:35 AM
Alison and I give our sincere thanks for your kind words...it's been an interesting journey so far (and I'm not talking specifically about the travel...) and one that will continue forever. I'll post more updates once we are back as the access rates from Moscow are exhorbinate...here in the Tyumen Hotel at least it's only 150 Rubles an hour (about 5 bucks), rather than 8 DOLLARS for 15 MINUTES at the Marrott in the big city. (Which I found out about the hard way) Until then...GO MAKE SOME SAWDUST!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2005, 9:00 AM
Oh yeah Dad......I forgot to mention.....you might want to start doing some stretching exercises! It won't hurt as much when the two daughters wrap you around their little fingers as Mom already does!:rolleyes: :D Again.....Congrats!

Gary Herrmann
11-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Jim, that's great. Congratulations.

Tim Armstrong
11-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Wonderful story, Jim. Congrats! I imagine you'll have a whole new take on Thanksgiving this year. Thanks for sharing and safe travels to you.

Chris Padilla
11-23-2005, 1:22 PM
Priceless, Jim, priceless. Best health to the Becker family! :)

Fred Voorhees
11-23-2005, 7:04 PM
Oh yeah, one other thing............I guess Christmas at the Becker household is going to really be different this year!

John Miliunas
11-23-2005, 7:25 PM
Oh yeah, one other thing............I guess Christmas at the Becker household is going to really be different this year!

Yeah...I can see it now: Pillow stuffed under Jim's shirt, with a Santa outfit, bringing bags and bags of toys!!!:D :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-23-2005, 8:23 PM
Evening Jim,

I'm sure that your "Girls" will brighten your life and bring you joy!

Bruce

Dave Ray
11-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Jim, this is a fantastic Thanksgiving/holiday story/experience you and Alison will remember and talk about for the rest of your lives. What a family tradition you have started. The girls are beautiful, with smiles that melt your heart. Have a safe, funfilled trip home. Thank you for sharing your family story, it has made us all very proud, and given us another reason to be truly thankful.

Peter Pedisich
11-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Congratulations to the Becker Family from the Pedisich Family on Long Island!

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Jim, very happy for you and your new expanded family...I know it was a big effort to get this accomplished but a very worthwhile goal and result...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Kevin Herber
11-25-2005, 2:31 AM
Outstanding news!! I read all the entries and noticed no one officially welcomed the girls to the Creek :eek: :eek:

Welcome new Creekers, Anastasiya and Alesya!!!

One of the neat things is they now have an extended family of all of us (that may not be blessing after all!!). I for one am glad they are a part and that I am too.

Let us know how the trip home went.

Greg Ladd
11-26-2005, 7:29 AM
JIm,

Congratulations! It has been a long journey but you and your wife have been patient. You will now be blessed beyond belief.

What a great way to start the holiday season. It can't get much better than this.

Greg

Dan Forman
11-26-2005, 4:17 PM
Jim, I came to this thread late, as I don't often check the OT, but my heartfelt congrat's go out to you and your family. This is a wonderful thing you are doing, that will pay dividends for both you and them for years to come. The girsl are beautiful, the smiles say it all. Have a great holiday season.

Dan

Mark Stutz
11-26-2005, 4:28 PM
Here's extending another heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS!:D I've been away a few days...you never know what you might miss!

Jim Becker
11-26-2005, 10:02 PM
We are home as of about 7pm ET this evening...and exhausted, having left our Moscow hotel at 4am local, which is 8 hours AHEAD of "home". Thanks for all the well-wishes. Even the "bad", err, parentally challenging, moments have been precious!

John Miliunas
11-26-2005, 10:07 PM
We are home as of about 7pm ET this evening...and exhausted, having left our Moscow hotel at 4am local, which is 8 hours AHEAD of "home". Thanks for all the well-wishes. Even the "bad", err, parentally challenging, moments have been precious!

Yahoooooo!!!! Welcome home to you and now, your ENTIRE family!!!:D Hmmmmm...Guess if we were playing poker, you'd have the Full House!!!:D Again, congrats! Give your girls a hug and kiss for us, would ya'! Now, go get some rest! :D :cool:

John Bailey
11-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Welcome back daddy!! Hope all is well.

John

Ernie Nyvall
11-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Congratulations to you and your family Jim.

Hey, I hope it's not too cold and dry where you are. With that sized grin on your face, you could split your lips. :D

Welcome back home and welcome to your girls to America.

Ernie

Ron McNeil
11-27-2005, 9:18 AM
Congratulations Jim and Alison, You have two beauitful daughters and they have two wonderful parents. May happiness and good health be with the Becker family.:D

Bryan Somers
11-27-2005, 1:04 PM
John says you have a full house I'll say those two girls hold all the Ace's. Congradulations Jim. You took the road less traveled and you will not regret it. I tip my hat to you.

Pete Harbin
11-27-2005, 5:36 PM
Welcome Home Beckers! You must be overwhelmed with joy!...and very, very tired! :)
All the best blessings to you, Allison and your two new daughters!

Pete

Chris Padilla
11-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah...I can see it now: Pillow stuffed under Jim's shirt, with a Santa outfit, bringing bags and bags of toys!!!:D :cool:

Uhm, Jim doesn't need a pillow... :p

Fred Dorn
11-28-2005, 1:02 AM
Congratulations and welcome home to the whole Becker family!

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 8:08 AM
Uhm, Jim doesn't need a pillow...

Cheeeeze! (Anastasiya's favorite explicitive...) I used to like you even though you work for the evil empire! I might have to reevaluate that... :p

Chris Padilla
11-29-2005, 6:32 PM
Cheeeeze! (Anastasiya's favorite explicitive...) I used to like you even though you work for the evil empire! I might have to reevaluate that... :p

LOL! :D Let's hope that explicative gets no worse! :D

Norman Hitt
11-30-2005, 4:25 AM
Jim, Welcome home to the FOUR of you. I saw the pictures, and the Girls are Beautiful. I would like to make a little observation also, after looking very closely at ALL the pictures, and it goes like this; You and Alison will love them both trememduously, Buuuuuut........The oldest one is gonna work her way a "little more" on Momma than Poppa, and the Little one is gonna have Poppa wrapped so tight around her little finger he's gonna look like threads on a bolt.

Let me know in a few months if my powers of observation are still up to par, OK?

This should be one of the happiest "Christmas Seasons", (no, I'm not politically correct and I know it):D the four of you have had in a while. Best wishes to all.

Jim Becker
11-30-2005, 7:45 AM
Buuuuuut........The oldest one is gonna work her way a "little more" on Momma than Poppa, and the Little one is gonna have Poppa wrapped so tight around her little finger he's gonna look like threads on a bolt.

Let me know in a few months if my powers of observation are still up to par, OK?

Sorry...you're too late on your observation. ;) That started in July when the girls were here and somewhat continues now. But it's a little more even handed. It's not unusual for each child to have a little more attachment to one parent than another. In this case, it is like influenced by previous life experience...things I cannot put into detail for privacy reasons, but there, nonetheless.