PDA

View Full Version : Craigs List morons

Jim Mackell
07-17-2018, 3:45 PM
Maine is 350 miles from end to end. It's closer to NYC from Southern Maine than it is to Northern Maine. We have one craigs list for the whole state.

Moron group 1: Post everything without indication which city, town or county you're located in. I'll drive 20 or 30 miles for a good deal but if you're in East Overshoe or West Armpit, I don't even want to read your posting.

Moron group 2: "Vintage tools for sale" no further description and fuzzy, dark, gloomy photos taken through dirty glass windows. Sure, I'm going to guess that the blob off center in your artistic composition is just the thing I've been looking for.

Moron group 3: "Tools for sale - too many to list" no photos, no further description. Does anyone with cash EVER respond to these?

Can you tell it's been raining for hours and cabin fever is setting in?

Peter Rawlings
07-17-2018, 4:34 PM
One that kept appearing around here was, "Antique Hammer", which evidently means it's just some crappy hammer head only with a good coat of rust to recommend it.

Another peeve is the relisting of the same thing over and over and over. I find myself thinking " if nobody is buying your crap, it's either too expensive there's no demand for rusty hammer heads of no particular pedigree or value.

Mike Henderson
07-17-2018, 5:56 PM
Here, Craigslist has a map showing where the item is - unless the person listing refuses to use it. But a map is the default. It can show exactly where the item is on a particular street, if the person listing wants it to.

Mike

Perry Hilbert Jr
07-17-2018, 6:52 PM
There is an ad on the Washington DC Craigslist for a wood lathe "made" by Rigid. It is the same wood 14 x 40 lathe sold by HF with the rails made from sheet metal box rails. The guy relists the lathe every other day for 3 years at (IIRC ) $400. The other winner I like is the local guy that sells small hand tools for $5.00 each. There are all the freebies that you get with a purchase at Harbor Freight. The descriptions sometimes are just out there, for instance a "genuine copy" In "excellent non-running condition" Or it "ran when I parked it there 23 years ago."

Paul F Franklin
07-17-2018, 8:25 PM
If you use the "miles from (your) zip code" search feature it can help weed out listings that are too far away from you. It's not perfect, but it helps. The bundle duplicates option is handy as well.

Marshall Harrison
07-17-2018, 8:33 PM
We had one a couple of months ago for a craftsman contractor saw that the top was nothing but rust and the motor bracket was broken with the motor laying on the top of the saw. The moron wanted $300 for it.

Bruce Wrenn
07-17-2018, 9:47 PM
Currently here on CL are two Kitchen Aid mixers, same model. One won't cut off, has no bowl, or beaters. Looks like the dogs drug it up. Price $50. Next is complete with bowl and beaters, in excellent shape, plus it runs. Price $75. Which do you think is an idiot. Anybody who buys the first is an idiot.

Dave Lehnert
07-17-2018, 10:10 PM
I always like the ones where they post something for sale and don't even take the time to clear the trash sitting on top of it.

Another favorite is autos for sale.
"Low miles" turns out it has 135,000 miles.
"EXCELLENT CONDITION" just needs new starter and transmission could use a flush and filter. (AKA transmission slipping)

Boat for sale.
"No title but are easy to get" If it's so easy then why don't you get it first?

I belong to a "Yard sale" Facebook group for our county. 1) All items are local. 2) You see the name of the person selling 3) you can ask or see questions by others to the seller. All this, in my opinion, keeps most of the scams off there.

Doug Garson
07-17-2018, 11:06 PM
Moron Group #4 are those that post an item, don't give a contact phone number so the only way to contact them is thru email and then never respond to their email. I sometimes think Moron group #3 may just be fishing for phone numbers and email addresses.
Despite all this, if it wasn't for Craigslist I wouldn't have a lot of the tools in my shop including several that were free.

Bill Dufour
07-18-2018, 12:53 AM
I dislike the ones who are selling an item with no descripton and no picture. Today there was another reposting for the "little buddy" He is still askign $500 for it. I have no idea what it is but it is the tool section so assume it is a tool of some kind.
Bill D

Rich Engelhardt
07-18-2018, 4:38 AM
Around here, people advertise HF junk all the time for the retail price of name brand tools (Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita ,,etc).
Then there's the idea that anything with rust is "vintage" or "antique".

The ones that bug me the most though are the ones that are selling some overprice, nonworking junk for ten times what it could possible be worth and have the nerve to say "NO LOWBALLERS!".

Wade Lippman
07-18-2018, 10:53 AM
A guy here has been posting a kayak for 2 years (that I have noticed) for $750. A bit high, but then he mentions that the previous owner beat it up badly on rocks and he has sanded it down so it is smooth.

Jim Koepke
07-18-2018, 11:13 AM
A guy here has been posting a kayak for 2 years (that I have noticed) for $750. A bit high, but then he mentions that the previous owner beat it up badly on rocks and he has sanded it down so it is smooth.

So the buyer has to pay for the labor? :eek:

jtk

Bob Bouis
07-18-2018, 11:26 AM
There is one guy here who has a bunch of surplus construction materials. He's listed each piece individually at retail price and has renewed them every other day for the last year or so. He must have 100 listings and he basically renders the entire materials section unusable.

Naturally there's only an e-mail address listed, I guess he must have gotten a few complaints..

Carlos Alvarez
07-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Moron Group #4 are those that post an item, don't give a contact phone number so the only way to contact them is thru email and then never respond to their email. I sometimes think Moron group #3 may just be fishing for phone numbers and email addresses.
Despite all this, if it wasn't for Craigslist I wouldn't have a lot of the tools in my shop including several that were free.

I absolutely would never post a phone number on CL, and will never call someone who doesn't give an e-mail address. If you can't communicate intelligently by e-mail, I don't want to deal with you. Every single "must call" has resulted in idiots wasting my time. You'll get my number when we have a deal and specific time to meet. But then, I do answer my e-mails.

"No title but are easy to get" If it's so easy then why don't you get it first?

Or "just needs a battery to run perfectly!"

Ok, how about you put a battery in it, and I'll show up with your asking price, the cost of the battery, and $20 for your time?

They always say no. Huh.

Marshall Harrison
07-18-2018, 12:06 PM
We had a guy locally that listed a Delta dust collector for $50. Claimed he just didn't have the room for it any more. I emailed him stating I would buy it but didn't get an answer. I tried again the next day and still no answer. I figured that he was just too lazy or sorry to take down the post for an item that was already sold. So.....

I emailed him every day after that asking if it was still available. After about 3 days of that he finally deleted the CL posting. Good for him as I was prepared to email him every day until he deleted it no matter how long it took. I was a programmer before I retired and I could have automated the whole emailing process so that I didn't have to do anything to send the emails but start up the process and let it run for as long as it took.

I hate it when people don't remove the ads for things that have sold.

John C Cox
07-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Every single one of my complaints about CL stems from it being "free"...

And since it's free - there is no "Time waster charge" or "Idiot tax"... Aka - the fact that if you are an idiot or a time waster on Ebay or even local paid classifieds- you rack up tons of listing fees which result in no sale.... It COSTS you something to waste every body else's time on those sites....

And so it will remain what it is - a place full of time wasters and idiots eternally clogging up the works because it's free to do so....

Carlos Alvarez
07-18-2018, 12:30 PM
A lot of what makes it great is also the fact that it's free. I've listed quite a few things as free or a very tiny cost, which then helped someone who needed it. If there were a cost, I'd have to just throw out the item. I gave a beginner woodworker some nearly-broken tools that I really didn't want to deal with, and he was able to fix them up and get a start in the hobby.

Wade Lippman
07-18-2018, 1:11 PM
So the buyer has to pay for the labor? :eek:

jtk

More than that... about the last thing you would want to do is thin the bottom of a kayak.

Carlos Alvarez
07-18-2018, 1:28 PM
More than that... about the last thing you would want to do is thin the bottom of a kayak.

Kind of like undoing the "custom" work people do to things.

Another fun one is the ads that have been up for six months with statements such as "I know what it's worth!!" No, apparently you don't, since you still haven't sold it.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-18-2018, 2:18 PM
I actually like it when they are vague, because a lot of times that's where the deals are. I once had a friend who beat me to the punch on a "1957 Ford" for $800. Turns out it was a Thunderbird, and after an afternoon of fiddling with it, he had it running and driving. It was rough, but worth way more than $800. Similar thing happened with a "1963 Chevy" once- it was a Corvette. The lady said it had been sitting in her yard too long and she wanted it gone. Wow.

What I hate are the scammers. They show a picture of a car in a setting that cannot possibly be the place I live. My favorite is the guy renting an apartment in St. Thomas. The ad said rent included snow plowing the driveway in winter. If it ever snows here, there is another ice age.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-18-2018, 2:27 PM

Speak of the devil- here is one that just got listed. The car is in St. Thomas? I don't remember that snowy day in St. Thomas. :-)

Jim Mackell
07-18-2018, 3:57 PM
Glad to see that Maine doesn't have a monopoly on morons! For those who mentioned the map and the use of ZIP codes, both features only work if the seller makes his location known.

John Sincerbeaux
07-18-2018, 4:35 PM
Wow guys, A lot of angst here? If you hate all the “idiots and Morons” so bad why do you keep visiting CL?
There are a lot of diamonds in the rough on CL and some really great, honest people buying and selling there.
CL is just a tiny snapshot of the society we live in these days.

Wade Lippman
07-18-2018, 4:36 PM

Speak of the devil- here is one that just got listed. The car is in St. Thomas? I don't remember that snowy day in St. Thomas. :-)

They do that on purpose. It is cheap and easy to post the scam, but time consuming to deal with people who reply. They don't want to bother with people bright enough to figure out the scam, so they make it really stupid so only morons reply.

Rick Potter
07-18-2018, 6:31 PM
No comment on the idiots, but I must say that I have gotten a few really good deals from ads that were from 'misinformed' people who didn't list correctly, or had no idea what they had inherited, they just wanted it gone.

I have actually paid people more that they listed an item for, and still gotten a great deal. The most recent one was the 24" Agazzani single phase band saw I bought for $550 or 600, including the $300 carbide tooth blade. It was in the background pic of an ad for 'tools', and not even mentioned in the text.

Bruce Wrenn
07-18-2018, 9:26 PM
Instead of removing ad, I prefer that they simply say "SOLD." By doing this, you get an idea of the going price for such. Currently I'm looking for a couple of IBC Totes, that MUST be "food grade." Prices range from $50 to $300 for same tote. Found a couple that are an hours drive away that had sugar water in them for pickle processing plant, so I know they are "food Grade." $60 each.

Carlos Alvarez
07-18-2018, 9:34 PM
Instead of removing ad, I prefer that they simply say "SOLD." By doing this, you get an idea of the going price for such. Currently I'm looking for a couple of IBC Totes, that MUST be "food grade." Prices range from $50 to $300 for same tote. Found a couple that are an hours drive away that had sugar water in them for pickle processing plant, so I know they are "food Grade." $60 each.

The CL rules say otherwise, and for most of us, it's better that they simply be gone. There are already way too many ads in my local listings.

Brian Elfert
07-18-2018, 10:03 PM
I saw a guy trying to sell a riding mower for $100 last week. The only thing was it has no deck, the engine has issues, and the transmission has issues too. A scrap guy might take it for free.

Doug Garson
07-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Just because an item sold, doesn't mean it sold for the asking price.

Art Mann
07-18-2018, 10:27 PM
I have found Craigslist to be an excellent place to buy and sell tools, boats and automobiles. I always determine as best I can what the item I am selling is worth at a retail outlet and I list it at a slightly lower price and specify that the price is firm. I am an advanced amateur photographer and I make sure there are plenty of crystal clear photos that let the prospective buyer see exactly what he is getting. I provide a thorough and accurate description of what I am selling. I almost always get what I am asking and I usually sell quickly. It is amazing to me how many people will try to sell a boat that is worth $40,000 and they list it with one or two blurry cell phone pictures that don't provide any useful information.

If I am buying something, I expect the same sort of pictures and description I provide in my ads. After looking at an item, I tell the seller I don't negotiate and then I offer him what the item is worth to me. If he doesn't take it, I leave immediately but I do give him my phone number in case he changes his mind.

I hate negotiating and refuse to do it.

Marshall Harrison
07-19-2018, 10:18 AM
I won't fool with selling on CL. I prefer to give things to relatives or friends. And if no one wants things then I put them out early in the afternoon on the day before garbage/trash pickup. I live in a really nice neighborhood and there are several scrappers that drive around and collect things from the trash at the street. Don't know what they do with it but I can guess that some ends up on CL. But I don't care. If they sell it for $10 or $10,000 I've helped them and got stuff out of my garage that wasn't of any use for me. So now I can put some woodworking something in there and start the process all over again. :D

Wade Lippman
07-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Lets not forget there are CL buyer morons.

My son listed a xylophone and then went off to college, so I handled it for him. A guy came out with his 10 year old son to look at it. His son loved it, so the guy offered me 75%. I declined. He said I had to give him a big discount because he had driven 45 minutes to get it. I again declined. He said it was just as well, because there was a much cheaper one right near him he would get. So he drives 90 minutes for nothing, his son misses out on a promised xylophone and thinks his father is an idiot, and I sell it for full price 2 days later. He wrote a very long email to my son about what a horrible person I was.

I found a small, but new-in-box, sump pump when my MIL died; and put it on CL, giving a link to the item on Amazon.
A guy bought it and then complained it didn't pump fast enough for his use and wanted his money back. I asked him what I had done wrong; nothing, but he couldn't use it and wanted his money back. I explained that I sold him a new pump and he wanted to return a used pump; no one would buy a used pump, so he was asking me to take a complete loss because he bought the wrong pump. He sent me a 5000 word email (which I only read the first and last paragraph) about how Jesus was going to get me for what I had done.

Jim Koepke
07-19-2018, 2:28 PM
No comment on the idiots, but I must say that I have gotten a few really good deals from ads that were from 'misinformed' people who didn't list correctly, or had no idea what they had inherited, they just wanted it gone.

This used to be one of my strategies on ebay. It occasionally made me feel sorry for folks who paid more for shipping than what the listing called for plus my winning bid. Usually it was less than a dollar, so maybe a cheap lesson for the seller. Another way to find 'low competition' bidding is to look for misspellings. Be careful, some sellers will misspell on purpose with a higher 'Buy It Now' price.

I provide a thorough and accurate description of what I am selling.

Same for me, if there is a defect, it is in the description. Some of my old tools are fine workers, but they are problematic enough in my opinion to not be worth the cost to ship them. If a tool of mine is going to lose significant value by being used, it goes up for sale.

One of the crazy things that bugs me at times is when someone inquires about a "part" they need and are looking for a source. It is a part that they will not describe. Sometimes it is for a "secret" project they do not want anyone to know about.

How can one help a person who won't disclose what it is they want?

jtk

Carlos Alvarez
07-19-2018, 4:20 PM
LOL, the pump thing reminds me of a couple of people who have asked if they can return an item if X. Where X might be that it doesn't fit, isn't what they want after all, etc etc. I just laugh. I'm selling at a discount because this isn't Walmart, you don't have a 90 day return policy. I've also had someone e-mail me a month later and say something failed. Yeah, it's used. It was as described when I sold it, right? Even had this happen with something new in box. I've just learned to be careful and clear in ads, and as Art said, include a lot of details and perfect pictures. I can't believe how many CL pictures seem to have been taken with a potato. To Art's example, I sold a $34k boat to someone in WA who knew she wanted it just from all the photos and clear/plentiful description. In fact it got her so excited I felt stalked as she tried to find me and nail the deal via Linkedin, Facebook, and the marina manager.

CL is a very useful tool, and I even enjoy using it. I've met very interesting people. Another woodworker couple came to buy something once and ended up spending three hours drinking beer and talking shop with us.

Frederick Skelly
07-19-2018, 8:06 PM
They do that on purpose. It is cheap and easy to post the scam, but time consuming to deal with people who reply. They don't want to bother with people bright enough to figure out the scam, so they make it really stupid so only morons reply.

Geez. That actually makes sense Wade. What a sick way to make a buck.

Rollie Meyers
07-20-2018, 1:14 AM
My mom died in October, as did not want to deal with a estate sale most of the stuff in the house was donated to a local spay & neuter group, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, & the Salvation Army, she had a vintage (Hobart) Kitchenaid mixer that was going to offer for sale on CL for $85 & drop to $75 if they wanted to haggle, decided did not want to deal with the hassle & just donated it, plus still have stuff in the house that needs to go so the house can be finished. She liked the spay & neuter group so I think a lot of the household goods went to the right place & stuff was gone quickly.

Brian Elfert
07-24-2018, 8:15 PM
Lets not forget there are CL buyer morons.

My son listed a xylophone and then went off to college, so I handled it for him. A guy came out with his 10 year old son to look at it. His son loved it, so the guy offered me 75%. I declined. He said I had to give him a big discount because he had driven 45 minutes to get it. I again declined. He said it was just as well, because there was a much cheaper one right near him he would get. So he drives 90 minutes for nothing, his son misses out on a promised xylophone and thinks his father is an idiot, and I sell it for full price 2 days later. He wrote a very long email to my son about what a horrible person I was.

You have to wonder why he didn't just buy the cheaper one in the first place?

I don't get the whole thing about people expecting discounts just because they drove some distance to buy your item. A retail store doesn't adjust their prices based on how far you drove to the store. I have driven 1,000+ miles round trip to buy something listed on Craigslist. I didn't expect a discount due to distance and factored my trip cost into determining if the item is a good deal or not.

Wade Lippman
07-24-2018, 8:46 PM
You have to wonder why he didn't just buy the cheaper one in the first place? .

Because the cheaper one never existed.

Lee DeRaud
07-25-2018, 1:43 AM
I absolutely would never post a phone number on CL, and will never call someone who doesn't give an e-mail address. If you can't communicate intelligently by e-mail, I don't want to deal with you. Every single "must call" has resulted in idiots wasting my time. You'll get my number when we have a deal and specific time to meet. But then, I do answer my e-mails.True that.

Then again, I wouldn't mind putting up the phone number if people would respect the 'text only' box instead of calling.

W Craig Wilson
07-25-2018, 8:23 AM
IMy favorite is the guy renting an apartment in St. Thomas. The ad said rent included snow plowing the driveway in winter. If it ever snows here, there is another ice age.
Maybe was in St Thomas Ontario?

Perry Hilbert Jr
07-25-2018, 8:31 AM
When my wife was looking for a puppy, I wanted to slap some pet "adoption" outfits. They post a picture and give a rosey description and then once you see the animal in person, then they tell you for the first time, that they want a $500 "re-homing fee"

Jim Becker
07-25-2018, 9:43 AM
True that.

Then again, I wouldn't mind putting up the phone number if people would respect the 'text only' box instead of calling.
You could do a free Google Voice number to receive texts and not have it "ring" on your phone if someone "calls"...

Lee DeRaud
07-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Maybe was in St Thomas Ontario?The ambiguity between CA (Canada) and CA (California) still jumps up and bites me in the butt every so often, especially when interacting with people back east.
Doesn't help a bit that there's a city named "Ontario" about 20 miles away...

Lee DeRaud
07-25-2018, 10:07 AM
You could do a free Google Voice number to receive texts and not have it "ring" on your phone if someone "calls"...I'll try to remember that one next time I use CL.

But after a long career of dealing with nonstandard standards, the idea of that sort of interoperability actually working still strikes me as improbable.

Wade Lippman
07-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Doesn't help a bit that there's a city named "Ontario" about 20 miles away...

I live in Ontario County (NY). In the next county there is an Ontario Town. Talk about confusion. (and of course, 80 miles away there is a province called Ontario)

Carlos Alvarez
07-25-2018, 12:09 PM
But after a long career of dealing with nonstandard standards, the idea of that sort of interoperability actually working still strikes me as improbable.

GV has worked perfectly for probably a decade. We're no longer stuck in the old phone world with interop problems. Stuff just works now.

Jim Becker
07-25-2018, 12:32 PM
I'll try to remember that one next time I use CL.

Not sure what you mean. I use GV for my incoming business number and it's been very effective. You can't beat "free" either.

Carlos Alvarez
07-25-2018, 1:05 PM
Speaking of CL rants...

I just sold my drum sander, after picking up a deal on a bigger one right here. Listed with firm price, and the owner of the shop where it's going called very excited to buy it. I probably under-priced it, but I figure I'd rather just lose a few bucks than play games or haggle. Nope, the guy gives me the "I drove a full hour here and then have to drive an hour back, can you do a little off...blah blah." I almost threw him out of the shop. I asked him to call his boss and ask how excited he had seemed to get it right away, because he knows it's a great deal. Or if he'd rather go pick up a new one for exactly double the price, and no sanding strips?

Lee DeRaud
07-25-2018, 1:25 PM
Not sure what you mean. I use GV for my incoming business number and it's been very effective. You can't beat "free" either.No, it's just that I'm (1) relatively new to smartphones and (2) my experience with stuff from different vendors playing well together has been mixed. So when someone says, "Just grab widget/app from vendor X and plug it into app/widget from vendor Y", my skepticism meter starts twitching. :)

(Hint: I did a lot of work with VME hardware in my prior life.)

Carlos Alvarez
07-25-2018, 1:36 PM
No, it's just that I'm (1) relatively new to smartphones and (2) my experience with stuff from different vendors playing well together has been mixed. So when someone says, "Just grab widget/app from vendor X and plug it into app/widget from vendor Y", my skepticism meter starts twitching. :)

(Hint: I did a lot of work with VME hardware in my prior life.)

All the Google Voice stuff happens on the carrier/server side and the apps aren't involved. You can use the GV app, or not, doesn't matter. But all the forwarding and management is on the server, and it works.

Jim Becker
07-25-2018, 3:50 PM
Yup. I have the GV app for convenience because texts can also go to a GV number, but it's not required.

Brian Henderson
07-25-2018, 5:01 PM
When my wife was looking for a puppy, I wanted to slap some pet "adoption" outfits. They post a picture and give a rosey description and then once you see the animal in person, then they tell you for the first time, that they want a $500 "re-homing fee"

Of course it is because those are all rip-offs. Anyone who doesn't list the price in the ad doesn't get called. That goes for anything. If you've got something to hide, I've got no reason to call you.

Jim Koepke
07-25-2018, 5:21 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
True that.

Without a cell phone how does one send a text? There are still some of us who are not using the latest communications technology.

My fingers don't know how to text…

Nope, the guy gives me the "I drove a full hour here and then have to drive an hour back, can you do a little off...blah blah." I almost threw him out of the shop. I asked him to call his boss and ask how excited he had seemed to get it right away, because he knows it's a great deal. Or if he'd rather go pick up a new one for exactly double the price, and no sanding strips?

Just curious, did the guy pay with cash? If so did you think he might have been trying to not only put one past you but also his boss?

jtk

Matt Schrum
07-25-2018, 6:41 PM
Without a cell phone how does one send a text? There are still some of us who are not using the latest communications technology.

For texting, either you can use an app on your phone (and it'll send the text using your Google Voice number and not your cell phone's actual number) or there is a web interface and you can send a text from any computer. I actually use Google Voice for my home phone number. The Google side of things is free, then I bought a small box for $30 (no subscription) that plugs into my cordless phone system. No monthly fees, I get email notifications for missed calls and whatnot-- and most importantly, my folks still pay for long distance, so despite living in CO, I was able to get a NE phone number that is a local call for them. If I lose internet, I lose my home phones, but we mostly just use it to talk to family, so it's not a big deal.

There is always a chance Google could nuke the service and you're out of luck, but I've used it in some form since probably 2009-2010 when I was in Europe until now with minimal issues. For free, there's not a lot to lose.

Carlos Alvarez
07-25-2018, 7:06 PM
Without a cell phone how does one send a text?

From a computer or tablet. If I'm in front of my desktop or laptop, that's where I do all my messaging of course, with a real keyboard. If I have the tablet, I use that. Phone is the last resort. Either way though e-mail seems to sort out the real idiots. And the people I know who sell low-end and scammy junk say "everyone" they deal with uses text. So, myth confirmed, it's for idiots.

Just curious, did the guy pay with cash? If so did you think he might have been trying to not only put one past you but also his boss?

jtk

Definitely cash, and you have a great point there. I did my best to let him know that the only reason it was that low to start with was so <word I can't say here> would not try to haggle. Don't know. Or maybe his boss said "if you can talk him down we split it." I seriously thought about telling him to just leave, I've done that before.

Doug Garson
07-25-2018, 7:48 PM
Seems like a lot of people on the forum object to negotiating price. To me Craigslist is like a flea market or garage sale, negotiating on price is part of the deal. I often offer a little less than asking price, sometimes it's accepted sometimes not. Unless it's an insulting low ball offer no one gets upset. Heck I was in Lee Valley a while back and I was looking at stuff on the reduced table, an employee walked by and said feel free to make an offer on anything your interested in. I picked up a watch and offered $10 less than the discounted price and he said sure with little hesitation. I wouldn't use an excuse like I travelled a long way but if I can point out a flaw or something missing I would use that to bargain. I don't drag it out, I just make an offer if the buyer says no the price is firm I decide if I want it at that price or not and that's it. On the other hand if someone used the long travel line with me I'd probably respond "be a shame to go back empty handed", to me that line puts you in a weaker negotiating position.

Carlos Alvarez
07-25-2018, 7:56 PM
I have no problem with negotiating; I've run several businesses and understand it. CL is not that; it's pure haggling. It's some kind of insane game people play that I want zero part of. Negotiating is: "I'll pay you net 5 days in exchange for a 3% gross discount." Just saying "would ya gimme 3% or I'll leave" is not negotiating.

If we don't agree on price, I'm not coming to see the product. If you don't agree with my price, please DO NOT contact me or come see the product.

There are some idiots who will put right in the ad, "No offers if you haven't seen it." Well, goodbye. I'm not driving until I know what to expect.

Wade Lippman
07-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Seems like a lot of people on the forum object to negotiating price.

I don't object to negotiating. I rarely accept less than my posted price, but they can offer less if they want. What I object to is when they demand a lower price. They knew where they were going when they headed out; if they didn't want to pay my price, they shouldn't have come; but if they do, they shouldn't make demands.

But talk about idiots...
One guy selling a $500 kayak refused to tell me where it was until I was on the road. WTF!? I've got better things to do then play games.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-26-2018, 9:23 AM
I posted a want add here for an old bandsaw frame a while back. I was looking for it to make a trade happen with a "local" craigslist dimwit who was trying to part out a really nice Tannewitz to make an english wheel. We go through the negotiations, and he says, how about you get me a Crescent frame, and $500 and you can have the Tanny. Fine, I found a frame and tell him I'll be up to look at the saw the following weekend. This was the week of the 4th, so on Wednesday morning (the 4th), he texts me and says he needs me to pay the cash or he'll have to drop the wheels off at the local Fastenal store for shipping to a buyer in Wisconsin. I said not a chance, reminded him that it was a holiday so the store wasn't open, and that there won't be any cash exchanging hands until I see the saw in person in 3 days. His response was that all the pieces are there, and proceeds to send me several pics, none of which are the table that I'd specifically asked about in a previous conversation. That was the point that I told him that I was no longer interested. I suggest avoiding a guy parting out a Tannewitz on craigslist and OWWM, claiming he's from Blackhawk, SD.

Carlos Alvarez
07-26-2018, 12:32 PM
Part of this idiocy is actually enshrined in the ads and banners for some of these services. I remember seeing a banner for one of the local buy/sell apps that said something like:

It's listed for $500 firm.

Offer $300!

Brian Henderson
07-26-2018, 5:38 PM
I was talking to a friend about this thread and he said that a couple of years ago, he was selling a lawn mower he had listed for $100 firm. It was worth more than that but he just wanted to get rid of it. Some idiot showed up, wanted it and said he only had $70. So my friend closed his garage door and went in the house, leaving this idiot standing in the driveway. People are just dumb.

Wade Lippman
07-27-2018, 11:41 AM
I was talking to a friend about this thread and he said that a couple of years ago, he was selling a lawn mower he had listed for $100 firm. It was worth more than that but he just wanted to get rid of it. Some idiot showed up, wanted it and said he only had $70. So my friend closed his garage door and went in the house, leaving this idiot standing in the driveway. People are just dumb.

That's happened to me twice. There must be a website somewhere with "clever" advice for buying on CL.

One of the guys was a REAL moron. He came out to check out a kayak. I showed him how to get out of it, but he knew better and just pushed his rear up. It capsized immediately, along with his wallet, phone, and car keys. He then offered me less because it was all the money he had.
Does he win the Moron trophy?

Carlos Alvarez
07-27-2018, 11:52 AM
I've done exactly the same thing. I meet buyers by opening one of the garage doors from the inside. Someone did pretty much the same to me for something I seriously under-priced to get it out NOW. But once he started that crap, I told him I'd rather throw it in the burn pile, closed the door. He stood around for a while, probably thinking I'd change my mind or it was a joke.

Lee DeRaud
07-27-2018, 1:55 PM
I was talking to a friend about this thread and he said that a couple of years ago, he was selling a lawn mower he had listed for $100 firm. It was worth more than that but he just wanted to get rid of it. Some idiot showed up, wanted it and said he only had $70.My standard response in that case is, "There's an ATM about two blocks up..."

Jim Koepke
07-28-2018, 9:53 AM
Seems like a lot of people on the forum object to negotiating price. To me Craigslist is like a flea market or garage sale, negotiating on price is part of the deal. I often offer a little less than asking price, sometimes it's accepted sometimes not. Unless it's an insulting low ball offer no one gets upset. Heck I was in Lee Valley a while back and I was looking at stuff on the reduced table, an employee walked by and said feel free to make an offer on anything your interested in. I picked up a watch and offered $10 less than the discounted price and he said sure with little hesitation. I wouldn't use an excuse like I travelled a long way but if I can point out a flaw or something missing I would use that to bargain. I don't drag it out, I just make an offer if the buyer says no the price is firm I decide if I want it at that price or not and that's it. On the other hand if someone used the long travel line with me I'd probably respond "be a shame to go back empty handed", to me that line puts you in a weaker negotiating position.

If something is at a "get this thing out of here" price, my tendency is to pay what is asked. If possible, it will get bundled with other items and then maybe a discount will be offered.

When selling something my tendency is to leave a little room for negotiation. Sometimes with real idiots it is best to just say no, or as others have said, close the door and walk away.

If you want to be mean you can say, "three other people have called since your call. They gave me their numbers to call back. Pay the price or go away."

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
08-07-2018, 9:29 PM
This week on CL are a couple Kitchen Aid mixers. One for $50, and another for $60. First doesn't cut off, looks like a dog, and has no bowl or beaters. Second looks pretty good (could be a stock photo,) but doesn't have bowl or beaters. Yesterday a COMPLETE Kitchen Aid that was leaking grease, sold for $20. $60 mixer is listed as a commercial mixer, when in fact it is the bottom of the line of home mixers. Apparently seller knows NOTHING about what he is trying to sell. I really love it when they tell me what is sold for new. Who cares, as the one they are selling is USED! I don't care if your grandmother bought when she got married either.

Carlos Alvarez
08-07-2018, 10:21 PM
I really love it when they tell me what is sold for new. Who cares, as the one they are selling is USED!

Sometimes it's relevant. I just sold a heavy-duty chrome wire rack with parts bins on CL, referencing the price from Sam's Club. That's because it had no part number, and they sell three similar-seeming storage racks that vary in price by over $100. All I could do was say "this sells for $160 at Sam's Club."

Jim Koepke
08-08-2018, 2:08 AM
Apparently seller knows NOTHING about what he is trying to sell.

This is often the case on that auction site where a Stanley/Bailey #4 is called a block plane.

Even more clueless are those selling aparing, firmer mortise chisel. It is if they do not even look at other listings to try and get in the same ballpark.

jtk

Pat Barry
08-08-2018, 8:46 AM
This is often the case on that auction site where a Stanley/Bailey #4 is called a block plane.

Even more clueless are those selling aparing, firmer mortise chisel. It is if they do not even look at other listings to try and get in the same ballpark.

jtk
They use those words to increase the exposure to their ad from searches. They know what they are doing.

Bill Dufour
08-08-2018, 12:55 PM
I like the ones who misspell the brand name of the tool for sale when they have a picture posted with the name shown in letters 6 inches tall.
Bill D.

Carlos Alvarez
08-08-2018, 1:04 PM
I like the ones who misspell the brand name of the tool for sale when they have a picture posted with the name shown in letters 6 inches tall.
Bill D.

LOL, those are the best. Especially on eBay where it results in the price being driven down. I try to search for things using a part number, SKU, or UPC for accuracy.

It's like the people who type "I-phone" from the iPhone they are holding. What cave were you in for over a decade to not have seen the word "iPhone?"

Brian Henderson
08-08-2018, 4:57 PM
This week on CL are a couple Kitchen Aid mixers. One for $50, and another for $60. First doesn't cut off, looks like a dog, and has no bowl or beaters. Second looks pretty good (could be a stock photo,) but doesn't have bowl or beaters. Yesterday a COMPLETE Kitchen Aid that was leaking grease, sold for $20. $60 mixer is listed as a commercial mixer, when in fact it is the bottom of the line of home mixers. Apparently seller knows NOTHING about what he is trying to sell. I really love it when they tell me what is sold for new. Who cares, as the one they are selling is USED! I don't care if your grandmother bought when she got married either.

I made the same observation over on Facebook about people who insist on giving a sob story about why they are selling things. I don't care if your dog is sick. I don't care if you had a car accident. Your sob stories aren't going to get anyone to pay more than what you're selling is worse.

William Chain
08-20-2018, 10:21 PM
My last three inquiries were answered with “oh I sold that a week ago”. Then why am I still seeing it on my searches nimrod?

We had a guy locally that listed a Delta dust collector for $50. Claimed he just didn't have the room for it any more. I emailed him stating I would buy it but didn't get an answer. I tried again the next day and still no answer. I figured that he was just too lazy or sorry to take down the post for an item that was already sold. So.....

I emailed him every day after that asking if it was still available. After about 3 days of that he finally deleted the CL posting. Good for him as I was prepared to email him every day until he deleted it no matter how long it took. I was a programmer before I retired and I could have automated the whole emailing process so that I didn't have to do anything to send the emails but start up the process and let it run for as long as it took.

I hate it when people don't remove the ads for things that have sold.

Carlos Alvarez
08-20-2018, 10:36 PM
My last three inquiries were answered with “oh I sold that a week ago”. Then why am I still seeing it on my searches nimrod?

The same reason I have to put this in every ad, lazy morons.

If the ad is up, I still have it. I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails.

Rick Potter
08-21-2018, 2:30 AM
I am still getting calls about a travel trailer I sold over a month ago. They get mad at me and say it is still listed, but I deleted it as soon as it was sold.

Happened again yesterday, and I rechecked for the second time, and it does not come up for me, and my account shows it deleted.

Go figure.

Carlos Alvarez
08-21-2018, 1:19 PM
I am still getting calls about a travel trailer I sold over a month ago. They get mad at me and say it is still listed, but I deleted it as soon as it was sold.

Happened again yesterday, and I rechecked for the second time, and it does not come up for me, and my account shows it deleted.

Go figure.

Sometimes the third-party search systems will cache old data and "forget" to remove it. If I find something using those, I always go to the page on CL itself and refresh it. A friend wrote and used to run a CL scraper site, and he said it was actually hard to detect CL deletions.

Brian Elfert
08-22-2018, 8:37 PM

People ask if you still have the item because so many never delete an item when it sells. I bought a lawn mower from someone and it was still on CL two or three days later.

I generally only ask if something is still available if it has been up for over 30 days. Many times it seems unbelievable the item hadn't sold already.

Bruce Page
08-22-2018, 11:08 PM
I got a chuckle from our local CL today. "For sale, tool box fool of tools" :)

Mitchell Ristine
09-19-2018, 2:40 PM
Here's a couple of my favorites out there right now:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/d/drill-press/6701339429.html

https://topeka.craigslist.org/tls/d/performaxplus-drum-sander/6674559322.html

Carlos Alvarez
09-19-2018, 3:08 PM
LOL! The best part on the drill press is that it's priced for "just need it gone." Seems to simply have an extra zero in it.

I recently sold my Jet/Performaxx 22-44 for $1100. It seemed fair, as it took about a week to sell but the buyer seemed very happy with the deal.

Dave Lehnert
09-19-2018, 7:58 PM

I have always wondered why sellers will post "I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails"
Why is that question so bothersome? I see it just as a way to introduce yourself to the seller. Kinda a "hello" or "how you doing"

Bruce Wrenn
09-19-2018, 9:02 PM
First, I don't care what it sells for new, the one they are selling is USED!. Right now around here it's generators (hurricane Florence.) "NIB with a full tank of gas." How did they get gas into tank with it still in the box? "New, only ran it for a couple hours," which means it's no longer new.

Carlos Alvarez
09-20-2018, 1:58 PM
I have always wondered why sellers will post "I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails"
Why is that question so bothersome? I see it just as a way to introduce yourself to the seller. Kinda a "hello" or "how you doing"

At best, it's just a waste of time. I don't need an intro, just tell me when you want to come get it. It's super-simple since I work from home. Most people seem to like it, as most of the time it will be something like "Can I pick it up between 2 and 3pm tomorrow?" Perfect. No screwing around with price or "do you still have it?"

Most people who say "do you still have it" either never follow up again, or they will actually ask why I didn't make them an offer for less money. I guess they are expecting something like "Still have it, will let it go for $X" which is less than advertised. I don't haggle. The price is the price. Buy it or don't.

Basically, I've been doing it long enough to spot the patterns that predict a bad buyer, and avoid them.

Greg R Bradley
09-20-2018, 5:22 PM
The price is the price. Buy it or don't.

Basically, I've been doing it long enough to spot the patterns that predict a bad buyer, and avoid them.
Yes, If they want to offer less, they won't be buying it from me period. If I decide it isn't selling, then I will lower the price in the ad.

I recently did some rough calculations on a long term customer in one of my businesses. He always wanted to negotiate a better price and didn't have the money to do all work recommended. I originally guessed that it had cost him double what it costs a good customer that trusted us to do what was required and pay the invoice. I was WAY low with my guess. This is over 37 years BTW. Now that I don't have a sales staff that is willing to take the time with him, he is going to have to pay much more. Being cheap is very expensive.

Carlos Alvarez
09-20-2018, 5:35 PM
We proudly charge all of our customers the same price, period. No haggling. We refer customers to each other all the time, and if nothing else, wouldn't want one getting pissed. There are discounts for quantity, but that's also applied evenly to everyone. The only negotiable discount is when a large customer promises to pay net 10.

Back when I was doing consulting, I had clients like yours. They'd nickel and dime themselves. It was crazy. "Let's 'fix' this with cheap junk and minimal services twice a year." Meanwhile my smart customers would give me $25k, ask for a five-year fix, and be done. The others ended up paying 2-4x in five years.

Bill Dufour
09-21-2018, 1:15 AM
today my craigslist has blut cutters for sale. I was expecting blunt cutters with all the pot equipment being sold at harvest time but it was bolt cutters.
Bill D.

Jim Becker
09-21-2018, 9:07 AM
Darn...and I really had a need to cut me some bluts.... :) :D

Lee DeRaud
09-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Darn...and I really had a need to cut me some bluts.... :) :DFor those once-a-year cuttings, the blut cutters at Harbor Freight are probably cheaper than the ones on CL.
But if you really need bluts of a specific length, it's way easier to get the pre-cut ones on Amazon.

Jim Becker
09-21-2018, 1:14 PM
for those once-a-year cuttings, the blut cutters at harbor freight are probably cheaper than the ones on cl.
But if you really need bluts of a specific length, it's way easier to the pre-cut ones on amazon.

roflol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wade Lippman
09-21-2018, 4:11 PM

Instead of "do you still have it", try "when can I have a look at it?" Or "are there any leaks?"
Or anything to show that you aren't some moron who is replying to 150 posts and has no interest in mine.

Because if post is still up, it is still for sale.

Steve Demuth
09-21-2018, 4:36 PM
At best, it's just a waste of time. I don't need an intro, just tell me when you want to come get it. It's super-simple since I work from home. Most people seem to like it, as most of the time it will be something like "Can I pick it up between 2 and 3pm tomorrow?" Perfect. No screwing around with price or "do you still have it?"

Most people who say "do you still have it" either never follow up again, or they will actually ask why I didn't make them an offer for less money. I guess they are expecting something like "Still have it, will let it go for $X" which is less than advertised. I don't haggle. The price is the price. Buy it or don't.

Not sure why it's more a waste of time than the sellers who don't take down their listing after an item is sold, which is as someone who occasionally buys through Craigslist, but never sells, I can tell you is VERY common. It's always the first think I ask, as a result.

Steve Demuth
09-21-2018, 4:39 PM
Because if post is still up, it is still for sale.

If only that's how it worked. It isn't.

Carlos Alvarez
09-21-2018, 5:02 PM
That's why I specifically say it, and I do remove posts when sold. This is on a macro...

If the ad is up, I still have it. I will ignore "do you still have it" e-mails. We are a few miles North of Happy Valley Road on 67th Avenue, in the Sonoran Mountain Ranch area. The pin on the map shows our approximate location. I work from home so I'm generally available most any time. Please reply with a time when you can pick it up and I will confirm.

BUT...that said, I just had to ask someone if he did have an item. The post was two months old. I had some intelligent questions along with...do you still have it. I never leave posts up that long.

Doug Garson
09-21-2018, 8:31 PM
I think asking if it is still available is a valid question. You may remove ads when the item is sold but many do not. Rather than ignore a "is it still available email" why not respond "yes when do you want to come and look at it?" Why discourage a potential sale because you are annoyed at the question?

Carlos Alvarez
09-22-2018, 4:23 PM
Not because I'm annoyed at the question, but because it's one of the signs of a person who will be a pain to deal with. It most often leads to idiocy. I have no time for idiots. I'd rather lose the sale than deal with morons.

Doug Garson
09-22-2018, 7:47 PM
I guess i won't be buying from you on Craigslist Carlos because I often ask, especially if the post has been up a while and I don't consider myself a pain to deal with (although my wife may disagree :p).

Jerome Stanek
09-23-2018, 6:45 AM
I guess i won't be buying from you on Craigslist Carlos because I often ask, especially if the post has been up a while and I don't consider myself a pain to deal with (although my wife may disagree :p).

I agree I always ask if it is still available and then ask if when I can come by and see it. I do ask if they use a safe haven to do their sales unless it is to big

Carlos Alvarez
09-23-2018, 2:26 PM
I also don't leave ads up for more than a week or so, and meet at my house. Nobody around here has any problem with that. I've heard that in some cities people only meet in public places.

Doug Garson
09-28-2018, 1:29 PM
Here's what I consider a Craigslist moron, can any one tell from the ad whether the poster has 100bf of fine cherry or an old railway tie?

Free wood

Email me when you can pickup and I'll give you the address. Thanks!

If posting is up, it's still available

Amazing the ad has been up for 11 hours and no takers. :confused:

The post was just updated, it's a small pile of firewood.https://images.craigslist.org/00Z0Z_cl37hmjczWX_600x450.jpg

Zachary Hoyt
09-28-2018, 1:47 PM
Most of the time when I get the emails that say "Do u still have it?" they never reply when I write back "Yes". Some do, and of those some are actually willing to pay the price I have posted. I don't haggle either, it's not my forte. When I am writing I say "I would like to buy your _______________ if it is still available". Sometimes I also ask a question, but at least I figure this way they will know that I am a person and not a robot. I don't copy the text of the ad title word for word when stating what I am asking about, but rephrase it slightly which I think may also help with appearing to be an actual person.
Zach

Carlos Alvarez
10-02-2018, 4:01 PM
I just bought a motorcycle via CL. The seller was a complete moron by text and e-mail, and would not accept a phone call. But then in person, everything was fine, the bike was better than described (he had no idea it was packed with a couple grand in OEM options), and he very easily took less than he asked (he did say OBO, and *had* to sell right away). That's an unusual thing, as usually morons by e-mail are even worse in person.

Jim Koepke
10-20-2018, 1:44 PM
Seeing this made me think of this old thread.

That's an unusual thing, as usually morons by e-mail are even worse in person.

Some people are not very good at their textual skills. One of my in-laws is a bit dyslexic and doesn't do well reading and writing. When it comes to talking you can't shut him up.

jtk

Myk Rian
10-23-2018, 7:03 PM
CL can be a gold mine.
I've purchased 5 telescopes in the last year. A 2 scope deal for $100 was profit when I resold one of them for $200. All in all I have gained 4 scopes for $200 total. One is a $600 13.1" reflector.
You just have to know what you're doing.

Bruce Wrenn
10-27-2018, 8:55 PM
Latest moron is seller who doesn't check their email, including spam folder. A couple times, I have requested info on item, only to hear back from seller after item had sold. They were going thru their spam folder and found my requests. One had trashed item because of "no replies." Replies had been directed to their spam box, instead of in box.