PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Repair Question

Tom Bender
07-17-2018, 7:40 AM
My bench has a 3" Maple top. I reflattened it a few years ago and it's still in good shape, mostly. However there are a few injuries that need repair. It's not yet time to reflatten, just some patchup. Appearance is not critical, it's a workbench. I've used epoxy and wood putty with mixed results. What have you used?

Jim Becker
07-17-2018, 9:02 AM
If you have some "injuries" that are large enough to require filling, I'd use the epoxy, personally, of the two materials you mention. It will not be unfriendly to future flattening. I'm not a fan of any kind of "wood putty". You could optionally inlay some maple if you want to preserve the whole maple look in entirety. You just need to route pockets, clean with sharp chisels, glue in matching pieces of maple and then plane flush. That's also good practice for precision work at the same time. :)

Robert Engel
07-17-2018, 9:56 AM
I remember the first project I build on my new beautiful bench was a dresser. Well, moving it onto the bench for some work, I didn't realize one of the screws into the back was a little proud. Gouged a nice groove all the way across the top.

Still there, along with a bunch of others.

Guess what I'm saying is "don't worry about it" because its just going to get scarred again.........

andy bessette
07-17-2018, 11:21 AM
...route pockets, clean with sharp chisels, glue in matching pieces of maple and then plane flush...

That's the way.

johnny means
07-17-2018, 1:31 PM
I like Dutchmans for solid tops. That way the area behaves like the rest of the top. Epoxy never seems to stay level.

glenn bradley
07-17-2018, 1:33 PM
I'm in the epoxy camp. No problems with it and will continue to use it when required. I mix it and drizzle it into the "injury" leaving it a bit proud. Once mostly cured I pare the proud portion level with the top using a chisel.

Ted Phillips
07-18-2018, 1:02 PM
If you have some "injuries" that are large enough to require filling, I'd use the epoxy, personally, of the two materials you mention. It will not be unfriendly to future flattening. I'm not a fan of any kind of "wood putty". You could optionally inlay some maple if you want to preserve the whole maple look in entirety. You just need to route pockets, clean with sharp chisels, glue in matching pieces of maple and then plane flush. That's also good practice for precision work at the same time. :)

That's a great idea, Jim.

Robin Dobbie
07-18-2018, 1:17 PM
I haven't had to repair my benches yet, but I do save what I call "micro scraps" in several boxes. Some people may call it hoarding. :D I do sort them by species to make it easier at some future point to take advantage of them. I may glue then to a piece of sacrificial ply to make plugs out of for just such a use as repairing bench tops.