PDA

View Full Version : Wader's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2003, 1:46 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. I spent Saturday helping my x-boss put in place and erect the framing for the Gazeebo Style pump house on his property. I framed this thing in my shop, heaved it onto my trailer by myself...bass section and then the roof section...and had him come and pick up my trailer to take it to his place since I was needing some shop space back. All the major construction is now done and ready for felt, shingles, the access door to gain access to his pump and well, trim work, final bracing and siding.

Needless to say....all we lack having it done is....the rest of it. :)

Best of Weeks.....

Jason Roehl
06-30-2003, 6:28 AM
Let's see...Saturday I went to a friend's house to help him start putting up his porch ceiling. Got off to a slow start on that due to various reasons, the most frustrating of which was that my tailgate was jammed shut for a while with the plywood in back. If we hadn't gotten the tailgate open eventually (and a carborundum saw was considered), we would have had to take off the topper to get the wood out. Thankfully, all is well now--the tailgate latch handle was just slipping off the actuator inside.

Sunday was a "play hard" day. Our little town of Mulberry's 3 churches got together at the park for an "all-community" service, after which there was a carry-in dinner (yes, I saw at least 10 dishes of beans). After a quick nap at home then, the one church where our kids attend Vacation Bible School even let me join their church softball team. By the time they put me in the game, they didn't get around to me in the batting order, so I'll have to wait and see how much rust is still in that department, but I did snag a pop-fly on the run from left-field. We won, something like 10 or 12 to 7. And I think they'll let me come back.

Now I'm off to the Florence, KY area for several days to work on staining/sealing the exteriors of 4 log cabins at a horse camp there. (4 hours from here).

So all of you have a safe and enjoyable week, making sawdust or whatever else you're up to.

Rusty Hughes, Indy
06-30-2003, 9:16 AM
On Saturday, I had some help putting in a drainage system for my backyard. Due to some poor landscaping on my part, I had created a low spot that collected all of the rainwater. Well, a friend of mine developed a simple drainage system for me so that I wouldn't have to undo all of that landscaping.

It worked well beyond my expectations. And we are dry!

Jim Becker
06-30-2003, 9:33 AM
Friday night, Saturday and Sunday were productive days in the shop. After dinner on Friday, I cut up a few sheets of plywood from my CutListPlus printouts for what I'll call the "sink section" of the kitchen base cabinets. (Boy, I love that program...)

Saturday morning, I introduced a local woodworker (Joanne A) to one of my favorite local wood suppliers as she needed some material for the legs of a set surround speaker stands she's making from bubinga. After a nice tour of my shop and a chat, I got to work assembling the cabinet carcases and had all the major components ready to go late that evening...including spraying the clear finish on the interior of the sink cabinet.

Sunday saw the cabinetry mated together into a section (easily disassembled for moving to the house) and the face frames completed , installed and filled in preparation for finishing. As there was still time available in the day, I began milling up some of the poplar that is clogging my shop...until I was too hungry to continue. 'Happens some times!

Here's the results of this weekend's work:

http://sawsndust.com/images/kitchen-remodel/kr-sinksection-assbly-320.jpg

lt to rt: dishwasher bridge, sink cabinet, three-drawer cabinet

Dave Anderson NH
06-30-2003, 12:01 PM
I spent all day both Saturday and Sunday at Canterbury Shaker Village in Canterbury NH. It was the 13th Annual Wood Days Festival. Running continuously both days are woodworking demos, live bluegass music, artists displaying crafts and artwork, and good times for all. I did my customary demo of making hand tools using only hand tools. My project was black walnut marking gages and panel marking gages cut out with brace and bit, bowsaw, chisels , spokeshaves, and handplanes. Garrett Hack was making and assembling parts for some chairs, the North Bennett Street School had a bunch of folks working on period furniture, some folks were carving, others were turnign everything from bottle stoppers to bird houses, hand dovetailed boxes were being made, and a bandsaw mill was turning logs into lumber. There were scroll saw folks, wood vendors, timber framers, a cooper, a wood/canvas canoe builder, carvers, and a couple of folks selling hand tools. The visitors center had the NH Furnituremasters displaying their work. The weather was fantastic, the company was good, and the whole time was sheer enjoyment. I always have a good time at this event and finished up Saturday nite sharing dinner and a brew with Garrett at the staff cookout.

Mike Schwing
06-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Picked up my new Suburban. Drove it to the beach. Caught some nice fish. Sat on the beach. Sunburned the forehead that was newly exposed from last year. Watch lots of pretty girls with huge breasts on the beach. (where were they when I was their age?) Spent time alone with the pretty one I married. Rode my bike 50 some miles from OC inlet to Lewes, Delaware and back.

Had a nice Sunday lunch at Harrison's on the water at Kent Narrows. Returned home, took a nap, then went for another nice long bike ride.

Did not touch a woodworking tool. Wonderful weekend.

Lars Thomas
06-30-2003, 1:39 PM
. . .

Had a nice Sunday lunch at Harrison's on the water at Kent Narrows. Returned home, took a nap, then went for another nice long bike ride. .

Mike, Harrison's is one of my favorite places. I'm planning a trip back east in September with my oldest son (8). There's only a few times a year when you can plan a weekend in Baltimore and do crabs, Ravens (v Browns) and Orioles (v Yankees). This year it's 9/13-15.

I spent a lot of time at OC in college (Salisbury Alum). Great place to grow up - and visit.

Scott Coffelt
06-30-2003, 3:14 PM
Not much in the way of WW, I just got back in town from traveling for work, so it was family time. I was able to get my Dust Eliminator hung from the ceiling, man that was one heavy sucker. I got it into the corner by myself, busted a left one but got into the corner. Thought I had it braced right, but when I was get things ready it fell over and smacked me right square in the back. Got one heck of a bruise today. Jack Diemer came over last night and helped me hoist it up. I used threaded hooks into the ceiling, eye bolts in the cyclone, and chain to link the two.

Picked up supplies to wire it up today, I have to look at a couple of commission jobs tonight, but hope to get some time in wiring tonight.

The end is near.

Terry Hatfield
06-30-2003, 5:14 PM
Scott,

Dude!!!!! You should have called Jack BEFORE the thing tried to kill you!!!

Terry

Jim Becker
06-30-2003, 5:44 PM
Scott,

Dude!!!!! You should have called Jack BEFORE the thing tried to kill you!!!

Terry

Yea, that's the ticket! I had fun hanging my Oneida myself...and it comes apart in more pieces! Seriously, putting one of these things up by one's self is not generally a good idea unless you're using a hoist.

Terry Hatfield
06-30-2003, 5:54 PM
Yea, that's the ticket! I had fun hanging my Oneida myself...and it comes apart in more pieces! Seriously, putting one of these things up by one's self is not generally a good idea unless you're using a hoist.

Jim,

I generally used my 6'5" 300 lb. kid.

hehehehe

t

Dr. Zack Jennings
06-30-2003, 6:41 PM
Photo of an Elk Saturday, I went into the backwoods of North Carolina and took photographs of (Grist)Mills, log cabins and an Elk. I was in the Cataloochie Valley.
Spent Sunday practicing spindle turning and bowl making.
Today, We started making hollow vessels with a laser guided cutter made by Turning Ways. This system is too cool. It lets you see a laser dot on the outside of the vessel that shows where the cutter head is inside. Rocket science..............

<center>Turningways.com (http://www.turningways.com)

"The Articulaser is a laser caliper that is easily adjusted (by the use of 2-3" poly T-handles) so that the laser dot and the cutting edge of the cutter are adjacent to the contour of the vessel you are hollowing. This allows you to achieve a uniform wall thickness from top to bottom in your vessel every time!"

Jim Becker
06-30-2003, 7:26 PM
Jim,

I generally used my 6'5" 300 lb. kid.

hehehehe

t

Well, a pair of 25 gram birds can't lift very much, so our "kids" are not much help with these kind of things!