PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Maple

Mark Cothren
11-21-2005, 11:44 PM
This is a piece of wood from some that Don Farr sent me recently - thanks Don!!! What a treat!

This wood has a little ambrosia, a little curl, and a lot of spalting. I suffered some tearout in roughing that I thought was going to really be problematic. But luckily I was able to get most of it out with a sharp gouge during finish turning and the rest with sanding. Turned out pretty nice in the end. Sanded thru 600, a little BLO/TO, a little wax, and buffed.

7-1/2" wide, 3-1/2" tall, 1/2" thickness

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/GA_Maple01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/GA_Maple04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/GA_Maple02.jpg

John Hart
11-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Wow Mark...What a gorgeous bowl! The wood is phenomenal and your turning made it look better. Very nice!

Carole Valentine
11-22-2005, 12:37 AM
What a nice job! I have some of that really spalted stuff and it is definitely hard to get rid of the tear out, but you did. I find that spritzing it with water before I finish turn it works pretty well sometimes.

Michael Stafford
11-22-2005, 6:04 AM
Nice looking bowl with a tremendous amount of character. Most interesting spalting patterns. MarkfromArk, you are doing some fine work at the big yellow dawg. Very fine work!

Mark Cothren
11-22-2005, 8:30 AM
Thanks y'all... and Carole, thanks for the tip about the water! I'll have to give that a try.

Dennis Peacock
11-22-2005, 10:00 AM
What a nice job! I have some of that really spalted stuff and it is definitely hard to get rid of the tear out, but you did. I find that spritzing it with water before I finish turn it works pretty well sometimes.

OK Carole.....NOW ya went and done it..!!!!!! Spritzing? Oh for heavan's sake..!!!!:rolleyes: Teaching that boy a new word AND something "else" to try on the yeller-dawg of his!!!!! He'll be rurn't fer sher..!!!!

<i>Spritzing?</i> Hey, fellers 'round these parts done "spritz". We "sprankle"!:p :p :p :D :D

Carole Valentine
11-22-2005, 11:45 AM
OK Carole.....NOW ya went and done it..!!!!!! Spritzing? Oh for heavan's sake..!!!!:rolleyes: Teaching that boy a new word AND something "else" to try on the yeller-dawg of his!!!!! He'll be rurn't fer sher..!!!!

Spritzing? Hey, fellers 'round these parts done "spritz". We "sprankle"!:p :p :p :D :D
ROFL! "Sprankle" works too, but you can only "sprankle" a bowl, a plate, a pot or possibly a vase. You gotta "spritz" a platter, a hollow form or a vaahse.:D

Oh, and it's a good idea to protect your steel from the sprankle.;)

Jim Ketron
11-22-2005, 6:42 PM
Nice Bowl Mark!
Thats some nice Ambrosia Maple, got to find me another batch!

Andy Hoyt
11-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey Mark. That's a fine looking piece of spritzed & sprankled spalted sugar smaple.

Keith Burns
11-23-2005, 4:02 PM
Another great bowl Mark. Great from and finish and you definately brought out the best in the wood.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-23-2005, 8:32 PM
A Spaulting we will go!
A Spaulting we will go!
Hi Ho the turned bowl!
A Spaulting we will go!

(sing to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell") HeHe

Just gotta love Spaulted Wood!....................And you know how to show it off!

Bruce

John Miliunas
11-23-2005, 8:45 PM
Good looking bowl, Mark and the wood is definitely to die for!:) The last piece of really spalted stuff I had was downright punky, so I gave it up for a while, until I can find something decent. You done that piece justice!:)
Say Carole, I guess the "Spritz" the LOML has in the bathroom cabinet won't be quite the same, will it???:D :cool:

Dick Parr
11-24-2005, 7:32 AM
Great looking bowl Mark, both the shape and wood are very nice. Do love you bottoms.:o

Bob Noles
11-24-2005, 8:34 AM
Mark.....

That is some beautiful wood and the craftsmanship is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.