PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Plane Question

les winter
07-13-2018, 4:22 PM
For those of you that use the LV or LN shooting plane, what is the practical limit for the thickness of the boards that can be readily end-grain shot? David Charlesworth says, on his shooting video, it is 5/8 to 3/4". But he is using a 5-1/2, not a shooting plane.

Thanks for any input.

Jim Koepke
07-13-2018, 4:31 PM
In my opinion, the limiting factor is the width of the blade minus the height difference of the ramp to the work surface of the shooting board.

Quite often my board has been used to shoot 2X construction lumber. My plane is an LN #62 with a 2" blade. My minus height is ~1/2".

jtk

glenn bradley
07-13-2018, 4:56 PM
My LV has a 2-1/4” iron. I use their track so whatever is left after that.

Andrey Kharitonkin
07-13-2018, 5:09 PM
With my shooting board out of 3/4 thick material about 1-1/2" is left of LV blade. Maximum would be 2" for LV, after taking into account that the blade is skewed.

I also managed to shoot stock 3x3" by rotating it... and quite happy with result (it were legs for bandsaw stand).

Jim Koepke
07-13-2018, 5:39 PM
I also managed to shoot stock 3x3" by rotating it

There is almost always a way to get around the limits… except when passing a law enforcement officer on the interstate.

jtk

Derek Cohen
07-13-2018, 8:02 PM
I cannot say that I would want to shoot anything thicker than 3/4". In part because is takes much effort to do so. More than that, I am happy to plane that thickness with the board in the vise and using a plane freehand. 3/4" is about the limit for drawer front thickness, and they would be shot for squareness when fitting the drawer recess.

Generally, I use the shooting board for thinner board ends, or which boards are too thin to comfortably plane in a vise. For this reason, it is not the largest dimension that I consider, but just the need to do so in a thinnish board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Andrew Hughes
07-13-2018, 8:34 PM
I also find the best use for my shooting setup on small parts. Thin pieces that are hard to hold for large chunks or thick stock I find another way.
So I agree with Derek

Ron Patrick
07-13-2018, 11:06 PM
It isn't just the width of the blade available, it also depends on the wood you are planing. Using the LV shooter I have planed 1.75 in. cherry without that much problem. But I tried 1.375 in white oak, well, as Derek said, to much trouble. I sure wish I had seen Derek's post before I tried that.

Ron

matteo furbacchione
07-15-2018, 8:04 AM
depends on you. If you have a right arm like a hermit crap you could probably push the full width of the blade. But if you're an 8 hour a day office chair jockey then you'd probably max out at about 3/4"

les winter
07-15-2018, 10:22 AM
Matteo, did that take into account a dedicated low angle skew shoot plane as opposed to say a #7? I find the 7 really hard to push and hard on my hands end grain planing 1/2" poplar.

Jim Koepke
07-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Matteo, did that take into account a dedicated low angle skew shoot plane as opposed to say a #7? I find the 7 really hard to push and hard on my hands end grain planing 1/2" poplar.

A low angle plane is much easier to push through a cut on a shooting board. This was my reason for purchasing a LN #62 back before the new shooting planes were on the market. It is occasionally used to shoot 2X construction lumber.

So Les, what do you have planned to wonder about this?

If you are in my area, you are welcome to come by and have a tryout with my #62 on a shooting board to see how it goes. The dedicated shooting planes would likely be a bit easier to push through the same work.

jtk

glenn bradley
07-15-2018, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Andrey Kharitonkin;Maximum would be 2" for LV, after taking into account that the blade is skewed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andrey. I overlooked the skew :rolleyes:.

les winter
07-15-2018, 5:33 PM
Thank you Jim. The info here has given me clarity. I'm buying an LV shooting plane. I work in 3/4" and thinner stock. I expect it will do the trick.
thanks for the input all.

Simon MacGowen
07-15-2018, 7:23 PM
Buy the track, too. You won't regret it. Act fast, free shipping is over soon.

Simon

les winter
07-16-2018, 4:12 PM
Advice taken, Simon. It's done.

david charlesworth
07-17-2018, 6:35 AM
With my L-N 51 I am happy to shoot 7/8" thick, not sure where the limit is...….

However, like Derek, thicker stuff is easy to do in the vice.

David

les winter
07-17-2018, 9:13 AM
Thank you David.

Rob Lee
07-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Thank you David.

Hi Les -

Thanks for the order! I see the plane body is on back-order for another two weeks....

If you want to trust me to mess around with your order a bit, and are willing to accept a gently used plane, I'll put together something unique that I guarantee you'll be more than happy with....

You up for it?

(all returnable if you're not.....but you will be.... :) )

Cheers -

Rob
(looking for something fun on a Tuesday)

les winter
07-17-2018, 10:53 AM
You Bet I Am. Send it right along.
Many thanks and regards.
Les

Rob Lee
07-17-2018, 10:56 AM
You Bet I Am. Send it right along.
Many thanks and regards.
Les

You're a good sport!

Will get it set up!

Cheers -

Rob

Derek Cohen
07-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Is that the custom pink one, Rob? Very classy :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Lee
07-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Is that the custom pink one, Rob? Very classy :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Geez Derek - don't you ever sleep?

:)

les winter
07-17-2018, 3:45 PM
Got the phone call from LV a short time ago. The plane AND A SHOOTING BOARD will ship tomorrow.

Thank you Rob, this was way beyond expectations.

Rob Lee
07-17-2018, 4:14 PM
Hi Les -

You will have the first one to see light of day.....

Happy Tuesday!

Cheers -

Rob

Brandon Speaks
07-17-2018, 5:35 PM
Hey Les, sounds like you really lucked out here. I would be all over that offer from Rob as well.

The LV shooting plane and small plow are the next two tools I plan to buy, and both look awesome.

Brandon Speaks
07-17-2018, 5:37 PM
Hey Les, sounds like you really lucked out here. I would be all over that offer from Rob as well.

The LV shooting plane and small plow are the next two tools I plan to buy, and both look awesome.

Phil Mueller
07-17-2018, 6:15 PM
Rob, I just ordered two shooting board tracks...it would be fine if they came attached to a shooting board!:D

Simon MacGowen
07-17-2018, 7:33 PM
Hi Les -
and are willing to accept a gently used plane, I'll put together something unique that I guarantee you'll be more than happy with....

Cheers -

Rob
(looking for something fun on a Tuesday)

Oh, my. Sounds like one of those LV Online Black Friday deals that some people have to stay awake at 2am but still miss the goodies.

A plane with a (probably tracked) shooting board, to me, beats any Prime Day deal!

Simon

Simon MacGowen
07-17-2018, 7:36 PM

Or get the Combo Plane which also looks awesome.

Simon

les winter
07-24-2018, 3:23 PM
My shooting plane and board arrived today. In answer to my own question, above, yes you can shoot 3/4" hardwood with it. A bit of wax makes it easier. A nice product that I can recommend w/o reservation. Thank you Rob.

Andrew Hughes
07-24-2018, 4:18 PM
What 3/4 hardwood? Are we taking walnut and cherry or Hickory and white oak hardness

les winter
07-24-2018, 4:41 PM
So far, cherry.

Joe Williams
07-30-2018, 6:20 PM

Just bought the right hand small plow and I do own the larger combination plane. It's nice having it as well. I use the LA jack for shooting and it's been awesome. Also have the shooter but use it as a dedicated on a board and then the LA for a different one. Really awesome tools you will love them!