PDA

View Full Version : Black tarnish (?) on wood after using router plane

Brian Eaton
07-13-2018, 1:11 PM
I’m working on a piece of cherry right now routing out some recessed for a baton case and after using my router plane there was a bit of black tarnish on the surface of the wood. I lightly oiled the router plane over a week ago after some sharpening but I would say for all intents and purposes it is dry. Is this normal? Will it sand out easily?

Brian Hale
07-13-2018, 1:33 PM
That's happened to me many times; sand, plane or scrape and it goes away

Jim Koepke
07-13-2018, 4:41 PM
This happened to me after lapping the sole. My solution was to attach a thin wooden base.

Works great.

jtk

alan west
07-15-2018, 8:19 PM
I use a Stanley router plane with the nickel body. Whenever I wipe down the sole down with oil I have this problem for months afterwards. Sometimes Simple Green cleans it off sometimes not. I learned the nickel does not rust and try to remember to not oil it like I do all my other tools. The marks to come off easy with my smooth plane

Ted Phillips
07-15-2018, 9:59 PM
I had this problem and you guys are right - it cleans off easily with a scraper or smoother. However, after mounting a wooden plate to the bottom of my router plane, I find it very useful - and it gets rid of the dark marks too. I've got three differently shaped plates for a variety of circumstances.

Alexander Zagubny
07-16-2018, 3:52 PM
I've shellaced the sole of mine to prevent marks. Not sure if it applies to yours. Mine is old one with caverns from rust too deep to remove while flattening the sole.

Tom Bender
07-17-2018, 7:42 AM
I use car wax on some surfaces. May work on planes.

Brian Hale
07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
I use car wax on some surfaces. May work on planes.

Be careful with that, Many car waxs contain silicon which can cause finishing problems.