PDA

View Full Version : Didn't finish the unseen

James Pallas
07-12-2018, 7:15 PM
Built this little bench to have a place for my wife and I to tie our shoes. It is made to look like its to sit on I did not thickness the aprons or the top panel or the Un-contact sides of the drawer runners or kicker. Only worked to square the legs on the joinery side. QS and plain sawn sycamore. De-waxed shellac and poly finish. Figure the undone work saved a couple of hours. Maybe only two people in its service life will turn it over to inspect the bottom side.
jim

David Eisenhauer
07-12-2018, 7:20 PM
I like it James. Clean, functional, wood grain works well.

Phil Mueller
07-12-2018, 7:28 PM
Looks great, Jim. Love the wood grain as well. Is the top veneer? If not, just wondering if you’re concerned with movement of the center panel given the framed surround.

Not thicknessing, nor fininshing the hidden parts officially makes you an old world master :D

James Pallas
07-12-2018, 7:38 PM
Looks great, Jim. Love the wood grain as well. Is the top veneer? If not, just wondering if you’re concerned with movement of the center panel given the framed surround.

Not thicknessing, nor fininshing the hidden parts officially makes you an old world master :D

Thanks Phil. It's not veneer. It's hard to see because of phone pics but there is a strong 1/8 on a 10" panel
Jim

ken hatch
07-12-2018, 8:23 PM
Jim,

Looks great.

I don't bother too much with hidden and/or secondary surfaces either. Ain't much reason to.

ken

Patrick Walsh
07-12-2018, 8:26 PM
What a hack ;)

glenn bradley
07-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Bueno! I have wished for one of these but, thought I was being weird. Yours looks great and your build has freed me from doubt; there is a place for such a thing.

Jim Koepke
07-13-2018, 10:56 AM
It is always nice to have a place to sit while tying your shoes so you don't have to sit on the bed and wake your significant other.

Good work.

jtk

Chuck Nickerson
07-13-2018, 1:20 PM
It is always nice to have a place to sit while tying your shoes so you don't have to sit on the bed and wake your significant other
jtk

But if I don't wake her who will make my eggs and bacon? And after I wake her she'll make me a double dose of bacon. JK!

James Pallas
07-13-2018, 1:32 PM
It is always nice to have a place to sit while tying your shoes so you don't have to sit on the bed and wake your significant other.

Good work.

jtk
More like the bed is too high when you get a little age on and you are about 3 inches short of reaching the laces without doing a noser.:)
Jim

Kees Heiden
07-13-2018, 1:51 PM
Now of course we want to see pictures of the unfinished surfaces! ;)

James Pallas
07-13-2018, 2:29 PM
Now of course we want to see pictures of the unfinished surfaces! ;)
Paraphrase Zach Dillinger a little here. Everybo--- thing has a bottom side and no one needs to see it.
Jim