PDA

View Full Version : Stanley miter box 115 vs 150

les winter
07-10-2018, 4:43 PM
Anyone have any info on why the 150 seems the preferred (by price) choice? I've never seen either in the wild.
Thanks for any input.

Tony Zaffuto
07-11-2018, 5:37 AM
I've got roughly 18 miter boxes (they're give away here in PA, some as cheap as $15 at flea markets), but bo 115. I like and use the 150 and the tiny Langdon, mainly because they're handy because of the size. The 150 with a good saw, gives excellent cuts, but I still clean up with a shooting board. The tiny Langdon, used mainly for trim, gives excellent results, but I still clean up with a Lion trimmer.

I've seen newer 115's but never grabbed one. I'm sure with a bit learning, the accuracy could be as good as other models. The larger miter boxes are carpenter tools and though I have some, I don't use them (much!), because of the size and space they take up. The 150 is just so handy and can be used with many different saws.

les winter
07-11-2018, 4:20 PM
thanks for the reply, Tony.

chris carter
07-13-2018, 7:07 PM
Bump on this thread to see if anyone has experience with both as I keep waffling back and forth about getting a mitre box for when I need to cut a lot of wood. I've been looking at both of these, the Stanley 150 and 115. I also wonder if the Millers Falls 200 is the exact same as the Stanley 115.

Mike Holbrook
07-16-2018, 6:36 PM
I looked up the Stanley 115. It looks like it might be hard to set up correctly and I prefer the metal fence on the 150. Schwarz loves his smaller version of the popular Miller Falls miter box. I looked for one for years on one of those auctions sites. Anything I found was in bad shape or very expensive. I discovered the Stanley 150, and found several in good shape at reasonable prices. I actually bought two, in case I need parts at some time. I also ordered a saw fron Ron Bontz specifically designed to fit the 150. I think I ended up with a superior miter box and saw. Other options looked to me to be less accurate and hard to find.

Tony Zaffuto
07-19-2018, 6:43 PM
I looked up the Stanley 115. It looks like it might be hard to set up correctly and I prefer the metal fence on the 150. Schwarz loves his smaller version of the popular Miller Falls miter box. I looked for one for years on one of those auctions sites. Anything I found was in bad shape or very expensive. I discovered the Stanley 150, and found several in good shape at reasonable prices. I actually bought two, in case I need parts at some time. I also ordered a saw fron Ron Bontz specifically designed to fit the 150. I think I ended up with a superior miter box and saw. Other options looked to me to be less accurate and hard to find.

For what its worth Mike, I have one of the small Langdon that Swartz has and it works beautifully on small moldings, but for anything a bit larger, I much prefer the 150 I have. What is particularly nice about it, is using a variety of saws, whereas the small Langdon is pretty finnicky getting the exact saw size.