PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Asheville NC?

Tom Hamilton
11-21-2005, 7:51 PM
Greetings Creeker's:

We are headed to The Biltmore next Monday for a couple of nights. A little 37th anniversary and 59th birthday celebration. Yes, I got married on my birthday in 1968.

Since SMCer's are well traveled and willing to share, perhaps some of you could suggest activites in Asheville that we should not miss.

All three of the men are woodworker's and two of the wives are expert knitters if that helps you to provide a heading for our journey.

We all like art and to eat well. Duh! :D

If you have favorite places in the area I would love to hear from you.

Thanks, Tom Hamilton

Bill Turpin
11-21-2005, 10:36 PM
The Biltmore House is America's only true castle. The woodwork is from virgin timber, some of which is totally unbelievable. Plan on spending the ENTIRE day. The Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway at US 70 in Asheville is worth the visit. There are loads of local arts, crafts, and woodturning displayed there. Cormark International at Weaverville (10 miles north of Asheville) is a tropical hardwood supplier that has all kinds of goodies. They sell a lot of purpleheart and African blackwood in large boards. They were cutting purpleheart 3/4" thick flooring on my last visit. Their scrap bins at $3/pound can be a gold mine for small turning blanks.

If you like Carl Sandburg or Lincoln history, his house is at Flat Rock 25 miles south of Asheville. His house has been preserved just as he left it. Let me know what you want to see, for more info.

Bill in WNC mountains Hendersonville

Tim Armstrong
11-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Tom - you're heading to one of my favorite spots. I would stop in at the Grove Park Inn. A stop there is very much in order for anybody who likes Arts and Crafts style furniture - it's a very impressive collection. If you ever have a chance to spend a night at the Grove Park, I recommend asking for a room in the old main building. It's a special experience if you appreciate that era's style. If not staying there, stop in for a cocktail and grab a comfy chair in front of either one of the two biggest fireplaces I have ever seen. Take a stroll in the hallways to check out the furniture. Have fun.

john whittaker
11-22-2005, 1:35 PM
Tom, I agree with Bill & Tim on everything. I might also add that downtown Asheville is a trip. We call it the artsy fartsy section of NC. Downtown has many eclectic bars/pubs, restaurants and small art galleries. Kinda Greenich Village meets Appalachia.

If your into nice scenery, take a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Either direction is very pretty but north is my favorite. Also, there is an old growth forest west of Asheville called Joyce Kilmer National Forrest. It is spectacular and well worth the drive. There is a hiking trail (very easy) that takes you past some of the largest trees east of the Rockies.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain. Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
- Joyce Kilmer
Poet & WWI Veteren

Tom Hamilton
11-22-2005, 7:15 PM
Thanks for the tips and with poetry no less. The Creeker's never disappoint! :D

We will check out the downtown area and the Folk Art Center I'm sure. Probably eat lunch away from the Biltmore as we have dinner reservations there all three nights.

If anyone knows of a great store for knitter's I'll pass it on to my wife.

Thanks, Tom

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2005, 11:55 AM
In addition to the above, be sure to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful esp in Western N.C. Enjoy your trip. Biltmore at Christmas should be outstanding!

Kevin Herber
11-25-2005, 2:18 AM
Tom - If you get to the Grove Park Inn, ask to see the hall seat Norm used as a sample for a project a few years ago. Here is the item from NYW web site:
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0103.

Also check out his picture on the "Wall of Fame". He's up there with all the Hollywood legends and politicos who have visited. Look throughout the place, the underground spa is impressive.

We love Asheville. My in-laws moved to that area a few years ago. We can't get enough of it.

If you like pizza, check out the Mellow Mushroom in downtown Asheville. Great pizza and very cool, laid-back atmosphere. Here is their website: http://www.mellowmushroom.com/

Have a ball. Wish we were there.

Earl Kelly
11-25-2005, 7:40 AM
Tom, If your going to The Grove Park Inn. Then you have to take in the Grovewood Gallery, they have lots of furniture as well as other arts and crafts. Here's their web site http://www.grovewood.com/gallery.htm

Tom Hamilton
11-25-2005, 8:49 AM
Thanks, Kevin and Earl, the GPInn is getting many recommendations, so it will definitely be on the must see list.

Nice tip about his Normness using one of their pieces in a show. I'll keep that tidbit until just the right moment with fellow travelers. :D

Thanks, Tom

Jim Becker
11-27-2005, 2:43 PM
By all means...visit with Perry Holbrooks if you can! I enjoyed that a great deal when we were in the Ashville area early in the year.

Andy Halterman
11-27-2005, 7:51 PM
If pizza is your thing, I'd like to add Barley's to the list. They also sport a very impressive beer selection. Salsa's is great for some carribean/south of the border type cuisine. Get there early and plan to wait. Rosettas on Lexington Ave. is a great tofu joint if that is your thing. Best thing you can do for downtown is to park somewhere and hoof it. Much easier than trying to drive around. To summarize, you shouldn't have any problem finding good grub in AsheVegas.

The Biltmore is very impressive. Chimney Rock is kinda pricey but pretty cool. You can walk the trails where they filmed the final scenes of Last of the Mohicans. Not recommended if you don't like vertical exposure.

Enjoy your visit.

Andy Halterman

Got my bikin' in before the rain came in Hendersonville, NC™