PDA

View Full Version : Looking for security alarm parts.

Dave Lehnert
07-08-2018, 12:02 AM
I need to replace some contact switches on my hardwired alarm system.
For some reason they are hard to find local. Lucked out last time. My local electric parts house just purchased an used delivery van from ADT and they left some in it.
I can find places that sell them on line but ,when searching their address in Google maps, they come up houses or buildings with no real business look to them.
Can anyone recommenced a good source?

Jim Koepke
07-08-2018, 2:02 AM
Do the switches have any identifying marks on them?

jtk

Osvaldo Cristo
07-08-2018, 5:00 AM
For some reason they are hard to find local. Lucked out last time. My local electric parts house just purchased an used delivery van from ADT and they left some in it.
I can find places that sell them on line but ,when searching their address in Google maps, they come up houses or buildings with no real business look to them.

I work with https://www​.bhphotovideo.com/ for two decades for all my photo stuff. They also have a "surveillance" session with lots of options, hopefully also what are you looking for.

They are very serious business with effective customer service. Highly recommended.

All the best.

Pat Barry
07-08-2018, 9:18 AM

I don't understand. Are you planning to drive to their address to pick up the switches or buy them online? If online, why do you care about the business location?

Jim Becker
07-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Contact switches are pretty common...heck, they were sold at Radio Shack (RIP) for decades. But if these are "tamper monitored" switches, that makes things more interesting because they need to be compatible with the system. Do a Google search on "Alarm System Parts Online". There are many options. :)

Dave Lehnert
07-08-2018, 10:27 AM
I don't understand. Are you planning to drive to their address to pick up the switches or buy them online? If online, why do you care about the business location?

If I order online I want to be sure I actually receive them.
Just because someone is selling online don't mean they are not just harvesting your credit card information.

Dave Lehnert
07-08-2018, 10:33 AM
I work with https://www​.bhphotovideo.com/ for two decades for all my photo stuff. They also have a "surveillance" session with lots of options, hopefully also what are you looking for.

They are very serious business with effective customer service. Highly recommended.

All the best.

Ill check it out
Thanks!

Dave Lehnert
07-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Contact switches are pretty common...heck, they were sold at Radio Shack (RIP) for decades. But if these are "tamper monitored" switches, that makes things more interesting because they need to be compatible with the system. Do a Google search on "Alarm System Parts Online". There are many options. :)

Common but try and buy some local. Not so common.
Radio Shack here in town was my go to source in the past. It was one of the last to go.

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Just because someone is selling online don't mean they are not just harvesting your credit card information.
I don't know if you have bad experience in the past, but I never have problem not to receive a product ordered online. But I always ordering from reputable sites, and very rare ordering from eBay.
Sorry, can't help with the switches.
Ed.

Mike Kreinhop
07-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Since you don't give anything to go on with regards to the switch type, it is difficult to help other than blindly recommend sources such as:

Home Security Store (https://www.homesecuritystore.com/alarm-systems/alarm-accessories/contacts-door-windows)

Security Info Watch (http://www.securityinfowatch.com/directory/alarm-systems-intrusion-detection/alarm-contacts-switches)

Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Sensor-Window-Warning-Switch/dp/B0050N7SM0)

If Radio Shack was your go-to place, then the switches might be simple magnetic reed switches.

Dave Lehnert
07-08-2018, 11:18 AM
i don't know if you have bad experience in the past, but i never have problem not to receive a product ordered online. but i always ordering from reputable sites, and very rare ordering from ebay.
Sorry, can't help with the switches.
Ed.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Koepke
07-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Since you don't give anything to go on with regards to the switch type, it is difficult to help other than blindly recommend sources such as:

That is one reason for my inquiring about identifying marks on the switches or images.

Much of my career was in the field of electronics. There are bunches of old parts in my shop that may fit the bill. It isn't my nature to send out all my old stock so someone can pick through it. Give me the information needed and maybe there is one in my piles of parts.

With other identification it may be easy to locate a vendor.

Looking for something without knowing what is being sought is a fools errand.

jtk

Pat Barry
07-08-2018, 12:49 PM
I dont think seeing a building on google has much to do with getting a few switches.

Jim Koepke
07-08-2018, 3:56 PM
I dont think seeing a building on google has much to do with getting a few switches.

Many an independent business person works out of their home. It is our modern economy in transition.

My wife and I have a nursery license. We are not doing a ganbuster's nursery business, but we occasionally sell a few plants or other related items.

jtk

Jerome Stanek
07-09-2018, 7:05 AM
I agree with Jim. I ran a construction company and now do custom CNC and laser work out of my home. I had a large account with Revco and CVS

Dave Lehnert
07-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips. .
Seems to be some confusion with me buying from a home base business.
Have no beef at all buying from someone with a home setup. In fact I prefer it. Just looking for someone with past experience with a retailer.
Maybe I'm too causous, but just because someone has a web site, is not a 100% guarantee they are legit.
You know what Abraham Lincoln once said, Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Found that quote on the internet :-)

Matt Meiser
07-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Its probably commodity parts with ADT stickers on it.I had a bad customer service experience with Home Security Store but that was years ago. Smarthome.com sells some of it too, or at least did. The place I bought most of mine went out of business.

John K Jordan
07-16-2018, 2:13 PM
I suspect Cincinnati has an electronics (not electric) supply store with security system parts since it's not a small town. Knoxville, smaller than Cincinnati, has a good one, Shields Electronics, which sells all the components.

JKJ