PDA

View Full Version : I just did the unthinkable.

Rick Potter
07-06-2018, 6:39 PM
Tool junkie heresy.

I am getting ready to add a new garage for my old cars, and I have been storing too many tools. Today, I hauled a perfectly good 12" Rockwell single phase 110/220 turret RAS to Goodwill. I just didn't want to fool with selling it.

I sure picked a lousy day to do it. 110* right now, but humidity is only 16%.

I paid $300 for it about three years ago, and was considering spiffing it up to replace my DeWalt 7790, but decided against it.

Andrew Hughes
07-06-2018, 7:00 PM
I didn’t know they take tools. I brought a old compressor to the recycling center last week I think I got about two dollars for it. My phone says 115 here in Claremont poor tomato plants look like they are dying :(

Bob Falk
07-06-2018, 7:13 PM
I've also sent salable tools to HfH.....you did a good thing....don't fuss over it. It's out of your life and someone will benefit from it. Good Karma all around.

Paul F Franklin
07-06-2018, 8:03 PM
I've donated quite a few usable tools to habitat for humanity restore. They are also happy to take things like excess plumbing fittings and electrical devices, etc. I feel like they will be put to good use or sold to benefit a cause I support, and it's definitely way less hassle than selling them on craig's list.

Matt Day
07-06-2018, 8:16 PM
And you can write it off as a tax deduction.

Mike Cutler
07-06-2018, 8:25 PM
110 and 115!! I do not miss that heat gentleman.
I graduated from Ganesha High School, where I ran track and cross country. Hot days like that, always found us at MT. SAC running the switchbacks and buzzard's peak during cross country season, and the stadium seats during track season.

Jim Becker
07-06-2018, 8:26 PM
And you can write it off as a tax deduction.
That's become a bit harder to attain now with the changes in the US tax laws, but donating to a good cause is still a great way to off-load something and provide a benefit.

Rick Potter
07-06-2018, 8:43 PM
I also thought this was a perfect fit for the Habitat ReStore, so I went there first. Went around back where they take in the big stuff and waited. Yelled hello about six times including twice when two different people walked by the open door. Honked the horn and waited. Yelled goodby, and went to the front cashier, where I told her they just missed out on an easy $100-150. She couldn't have cared less, just looked at me.

Yes, I was being very polite. I half expected her to say she would get someone, but no response at all.

This was the second time in a row I have been there with GOOD stuff, and they didn't want it. They have some idea of 'gentrifying' the place. Hardly have any used cabinet takeouts anymore, mostly loads of misc manufacturing over runs, and a whole furniture showroom.

Peter Rawlings
07-06-2018, 8:49 PM
Must've been the week for it. I took an early DeWalt RAS to the Restore yesterday for same reasons. It's been at least 2 years since I turned it on. At one point I thought I'd do a total rebuild, but with a bigger CNC on the way, I just wanted the real estate back. I suspect nostalgia made me keep it for as long as I did...maybe 25 years.

It Had a few of the "does everything" attachments. Hope it goes to someone who recognizes what it is, but I just won't let myself worry about it. They have their advocates, but I can't be one anymore.

John K Jordan
07-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Great idea! I've been wondering how to get some unneeded tools to someone who might use them. Don't want to fool with Craigslist.

Your bad experience with the Habitat is discouraging. Fortunately, they are not all like that. Everything depends on the people.

JKJ

Tool junkie heresy.

I am getting ready to add a new garage for my old cars, and I have been storing too many tools. Today, I hauled a perfectly good 12" Rockwell single phase 110/220 turret RAS to Goodwill. I just didn't want to fool with selling it.

I sure picked a lousy day to do it. 110* right now, but humidity is only 16%.

I paid $300 for it about three years ago, and was considering spiffing it up to replace my DeWalt 7790, but decided against it.

Stan Calow
07-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Both the HfH ReStores I go to are pretty adamant about calling first before bringing in donations as not all the volunteers working there are authorized to accept things.

Sean Nagle
07-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Just a few months ago I removed all the interesting little bits from my 12" Delta RAS and took the rest to the metal recycler.

Barry McFadden
07-07-2018, 12:24 PM
I also thought this was a perfect fit for the Habitat ReStore, so I went there first. Went around back where they take in the big stuff and waited. Yelled hello about six times including twice when two different people walked by the open door. Honked the horn and waited. Yelled goodby, and went to the front cashier, where I told her they just missed out on an easy $100-150. She couldn't have cared less, just looked at me.

Yes, I was being very polite. I half expected her to say she would get someone, but no response at all.

This was the second time in a row I have been there with GOOD stuff, and they didn't want it. They have some idea of 'gentrifying' the place. Hardly have any used cabinet takeouts anymore, mostly loads of misc manufacturing over runs, and a whole furniture showroom.

A few years ago when my dad passed away we were trying to give away all the furniture in his apartment. Called the Restore and Goodwill and various used furniture stores and got no interest or no reply at all. Ended up putting a sign up in the apartment lobby saying free furniture in apt. 102 on Saturday and got rid of it all....

Peter Rawlings
07-07-2018, 12:41 PM
From time to time, I load my 6x10 trailer with unwanted miscellaneous stuff. Park in driveway with sign "anything in trailer FREE". By end of day, I'm amazed what gets taken, some of it would be dumpster filler. I've often thought that it's more about being free than if it has any real value. A few times I've voyeuristically watched from house...that can be entertaining. Perhaps I read into it, but I swear some folks look as if they've just pulled off a heist!

John K Jordan
07-07-2018, 1:54 PM
From time to time, I load my 6x10 trailer with unwanted miscellaneous stuff. Park in driveway with sign "anything in trailer FREE". By end of day, I'm amazed what gets taken, some of it would be dumpster filler. I've often thought that it's more about being free than if it has any real value. A few times I've voyeuristically watched from house...that can be entertaining. Perhaps I read into it, but I swear some folks look as if they've just pulled off a heist!

Wait till they take the trailer. A friend of mine had an 18' gooseneck flatbed farm trailer taken from his field behind the barn in daylight while he was out for a few hours.

JKJ

Andrew Hughes
07-07-2018, 1:57 PM
110 and 115!! I do not miss that heat gentleman.
I graduated from Ganesha High School, where I ran track and cross country. Hot days like that, always found us at MT. SAC running the switchbacks and buzzard's peak during cross country season, and the stadium seats during track season.

Someday im going to leave this town. Ganesha is still there right by the Fairplex how long have you been gone. Do you ever crave In&out burger:)
It’s 10:50am & 106 yesterday evening my turtle and the blue jays were begging for water.

Greg R Bradley
07-07-2018, 8:28 PM
Every place has its problems and I just sat through some of the most bizarre weather I’ve ever seen here. 1 mile east of the Claremont Colleges with 107 degrees and pouring rain so hard that the emergency overflows from the roof opened up meaning that the roofs were 3” deep in water! That hasn’t happened for 20-30 years. Yes, this is ugly but still better than the south east US on the best of years.
So what are you going to do with 2/3 of the US being uninhabitable?

Osvaldo Cristo
07-07-2018, 9:16 PM
High temperatures combined with low humidity can be veeery dangerous for human beings. Please take care.

All the best,

Rod Sheridan
07-08-2018, 12:34 PM
No Rick, you did the right thing, it will help Goodwill financially, it will help some woodworker and it helped you clean out your garage.

Hard to beat three wins in a row.................Rod.

Mark Gibney
07-08-2018, 1:28 PM
A few years back a friend of mine put a sofa and two arm chairs, in good condition, on the sidewalk here in Los Angeles, with a FREE sign taped to each piece.

They sat there for a couple of days, nobody took them.

So he took off the FREE signs and replaced them with $5 per chair, and $10 for the sofa signs.

The whole set was gone when he woke up the next morning.

Rick Potter
07-08-2018, 6:47 PM
Now, that's funny............and so true.

Rick Potter
08-18-2019, 6:38 PM
I just ran across this old thread, and thought I would complete it, so here is 'The rest of the story'.

When I gave it to Goodwill, an employee and I had it off my truck, when the manager came out, and wanted me to take it back. I told her I would guarantee it would sell, and if not I would pick it up again. She reluctantly agreed, and I left it.

A couple days later I went back to check, and the manager apologised and told me it sold right away, and said she would accept more like it.

And that's the rest of the story.

Robert Chapman
08-18-2019, 9:03 PM
Sorry to hear that some of you have not had good experiences with Habitat ReStores. I have volunteered at one for many years and would suggest that if you are considering a donation but are not sure if it will be accepted by the ReStore, call them and ask before you take it to the ReStore. I know that if the saw works we would take it here at the Marquette MI ReStore, however some other ReStores may have different priorities for donations.

John TenEyck
08-18-2019, 9:37 PM
Just for reference and to expand your trivia knowledge, it has never been 100F in Buffalo, NY. A hot Summer here is one that breaks 90F for more three or four days. Summer around the Great Lakes is bliss.

John

Bill Dufour
08-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Here in modesto it has been around 110 for the last week. Home depot has free coolers of water in the front when it gets over 105? or so. They have signs posted by the pallets of water, coolers, tents that quote state law about water and shade must be provided at the job site.
Bil lD

Dave Cav
08-19-2019, 1:26 PM
I'm in the same boat. I have a very nice 12" turret Rockwell RAS for sale on line and have only had one call. Last time I was at D.I. (the Utah version of Goodwill) there were THREE RAS in the tool section but they were all old beat to crap Sears/DeWalt (not the good CI models) saws for sale. I should go back and get the Sears saws for the rebate...

Ben Helmich
08-19-2019, 9:38 PM
You guys that are giving away RAS’s might look into the Dewalt RAS forums. Lots of interest in those saws there and they would go to someone that has interest in them. And hopefully stay out of a scrapyard.

Pete Staehling
08-21-2019, 9:41 AM
Around here (Tallahassee) they have bulk pickup every other week where they will take just about anything. I wouldn't want nice stuff to go to bulk pick up, but if you put stuff out a day ahead, anything nice gets scooped up before the bulk pickup truck comes. If one of the neighbors doesn't want it, someone with a truck will cruise the neighborhood and snag it. Nothing decent seems to ever be there by the time the bulk pick up guys arrive. Never any problem getting rid of anything if you just want it gone.