PDA

View Full Version : Replacing motor on Ridgid band saw

John Gregory
11-21-2005, 2:19 PM
I have a BS1400 bandsaw with a 3/4 HP, 1725 rpm motor. My only major complaint I have is the lack of power to resaw. I got a Harbor Freight flyer over the weekend with this motor on sale (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search) The web price shows $84.99, the flyer price is $64.99. Would this be a good choice? The RPMs is 3450, would I have to change out pulleys?

here is the information, the link does not always work

CAPACITOR START

Externally fan-cooled motor for pumps and compressors. Features permanently lubricated ball bearings and thermal protection. NEMA Service Factor of 1.15. Split phase, 56 frame, 5/8'' shaft, 3450 RPM. Motors run counterclockwise and are not reversible. Same motor previously rated by compressor manufacturers as 2 peak HP.

Motor: 1.5 HP rated
Voltage:115/230
AMPS:15/7.5
Shipping weight:25 lbs.
<!-- BEGIN MODEL NUMBER --><!-- END MODEL NUMBER -->

ITEM 30188-6VGA

$84.99

Your help and advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
John

Don Baer
11-21-2005, 2:31 PM
John,
That motor is rated for compressor duty. That usualy means that is intermitent duty, not continuous duty. Also if is rated for counter clockwise rotation and is not reversable which may be the wrong rotation for your saw. There is a 1 hp farm duty motor there that is reversable and is rated at 1750 RPM's. I don't raly know if the 1/4 hp will help you that much but at least it is rated for continuous duty.