PDA

View Full Version : Thread Trends

Dennis McDonaugh
11-21-2005, 1:34 PM
Does it seem like there are a lot of contentious threads on the Creek lately? I like a good discussion as much as the next person, but arguing for arguing sake seems counter productive to me. We don't need to delete threads or anything like that, but some of us could back off and realize that people don't always share our enthuiasm for a particular point of view and agree to disagree. You don't always have to have the last word.

Brian Austin
11-21-2005, 2:50 PM
You don't always have to have the last word.
Do, too. :D

Don Baer
11-21-2005, 4:00 PM
Woodworkers are passionate about their hobby and some folks are very closed minded when it comes to their methods. One thing I've learned as I grow older and a little wiser is to be more open minded, it seems that many haven't learned that yet. I also remember what my dad said about opinions is there like another part of the anatomy, everyone has one. I read some of these tombs that some of the more passionate tool junkies write and smile a lot. Since I had the previlage of meeting Sam Maloof and seeing what he works with I smile a lot more. There are no euro sliders in his shop and it would be impossible for him to use the dead wood principle for making the shapes he does. I did see a festools shop vac in one of the wood storage sheds but it certanly wasn't attached to his routers when he was using them.

Andy Hoyt
11-21-2005, 4:08 PM
Used to drive me nuts too.

But what I do now is to simply think of it as entertainment rather than information. I see a certain name on the main page and I think, "Oh joy! What's the lunacy du jour?"

We only get one TV channel here, so entertainment has to come from many sources.

John Shuk
11-21-2005, 4:49 PM
Honestly I don't seem to notice these threads you are talking about. I've seen the occasional thread take on a life of its own but I like the respect people show each other here.

Vaughn McMillan
11-21-2005, 4:57 PM
You're wrong! :p

Actually, I've noticed a bit of what Dennis mentions, but since most of the arguments are over tools or systems that I'm not likely to buy in the near future, I don't get too caught up in the arguments themselves. Even at their worst though, SMC "arguments" are prety civil affairs compared to most of what you see on the rest of the Web.

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
11-21-2005, 5:13 PM
Used to drive me nuts too.

But what I do now is to simply think of it as entertainment rather than information.Just because it's entertaining doesn't mean it's not informative. (Of course, just because it's entertaining doesn't mean it is informative, either.) But yeah, enjoy the lunacy whenever you can, any way you can.

Now, everybody shut up, so I can have the last word for once.:cool:

Steve Clardy
11-21-2005, 7:22 PM
I find a lot of the electrical and big tool threads that get off topic are kinda entertaining to a certain point. Then they get boring, uninformative to me. Some of the defensive, I'm right, yer wrong posts need to be taken off somewhere else. Pm or email.

john whittaker
11-21-2005, 8:37 PM
[quote=Don Baer]. One thing I've learned as I grow older and a little wiser is to be more open minded, it seems that many haven't learned that yet.

Don...I was lucky. My dad grew more open minded as he aged...errr progressed, and it seems to have rubbed off on me. Seems like some grow more closed minded as they age...??? what's up with that? But I agree with others that SMC is 99% civil. Good batting average. Looking forward to more of your Maloof posts.

Chris Padilla
11-22-2005, 1:57 PM
Things should have been a lot more mild without yours truly posting every 3 seconds, no? ;) Well, I have time and might be baaaaacccckkkkkk....lol

Dennis McDonaugh
11-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Good to see you back Chris.

There have been a number of threads where I have been tempted to add fuel to the fire, but I'm taking my own advice and not reading the ones that irritate me!:D

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Things should have been a lot more mild without yours truly posting every 3 seconds, no? ;) Well, I have time and might be baaaaacccckkkkkk....lolAbout bloody time: I'm getting tired of trying to pick up the slack.:p

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-23-2005, 1:54 AM
Does it seem like there are a lot of contentious threads on the Creek lately?

You don't frequrent the Woodsmith site, do you? :eek:

Dennis Peacock
11-23-2005, 11:24 AM
I've noticed that arguments here on SMC pick up in the summer and then again around the holiday seasons, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Nothing bad though....just notice that there is a tendency to be more around those times/seasons for some reason. :rolleyes:

Well, looks like Dennis M. and Brian has already gotten off to a great start.!!:p :D

You don't always have to have the last word.

Mark Singer
11-23-2005, 11:44 AM
It brings to mind the very famous line from West Side Story, when the Jets and the Sharks, two rival gangs were killing each other...a store owner asked: "whats da matta, why can't you boys play basketball?":confused:
A very good question....or in this Forum a little woodworking would be refreshing...

It is so easy to know which posts to completely avoid for some reason:eek:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Steve Clardy
11-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Yea. Here lately I can just see the name of the original poster, or reply , and kinda tell there might be some flames in the post.

Chris Padilla
11-23-2005, 1:24 PM
Are you picking on me, Bro?? Mom didn't leave me in the closet THAT long! hahahaha

Steve Clardy
11-23-2005, 3:12 PM
Are you picking on me, Bro?? Mom didn't leave me in the closet THAT long! hahahaha

Haha.:)
I'll have to have a talk with Mom about you again.:eek: :eek: ;)

Keith Outten
11-23-2005, 7:03 PM
Some kids will never learn to play well with others.

Flaming and name calling will not be tolerated here at SMC.