PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Dust Box

Steve Clardy
06-29-2003, 8:02 PM
Heres a couple of shots of my much wanted lathe dust collection box. Still working on it, need to put a plexi overhang on top of it, and make some kind of slide mechanism to cover up part of the unused opening to make it draw more where I'm turning at. Doesn't do to good on chips, but really helps on the sanding dust. Steve

Anthony Yakonick
06-29-2003, 8:57 PM
Don't even try to catch chips, you will fill your collector in no time.

Steve Clardy
06-29-2003, 9:14 PM

It all goes directly outside into a big two wheel trailer. No bag dumping here. :D

Jim Becker
06-29-2003, 10:12 PM

I would suggest that filling the bag/bin isn't really much of an issue...catching chips and shavings while turning is nearly impossible as they leave the workpiece in a direction that precludes a collection hood...left, right, up, down, directly at you; Anywhere but towards a hood behind and over the lathe!! :D

An a floor sweep is a wonderful thing when it is located near the lathe for cleanup after the fact. Open the gate. turn on the DC and use the broom to move the piles to the pickup. You like 'em...they're gone!

Anthony Yakonick
06-29-2003, 11:03 PM
An a floor sweep is a wonderful thing when it is located near the lathe for cleanup after the fact. Open the gate. turn on the DC and use the broom to move the piles to the pickup. You like 'em...they're gone!
Don't try this with green shavings, instant clog and don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
06-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Don't try this with green shavings, instant clog and don't ask me how I know

Valid point, but it also depends on the DC system's capabilities. But given that most folks systems are way under-speced...wet shavings should be avoided!