PDA

View Full Version : Old-timey woodworky stuff in Gettysburg PA?

chris carter
07-01-2018, 2:08 PM
I’m heading to Gettysburg for just a couple days and tooling around on a bike. Anybody who has been there that knows of some woodworking stuff they would consider must-see for a hand-tool nut like me? Surely there will be something of interest I would assume....

Brian Hale
07-01-2018, 2:27 PM
I live an hour away from there and have visited many many times but can't recall much in the way of displays or tool stores. Where are you staying?
The battlefield has a lot places to bike and the ranger programs are fantastic

Brian :)

chris carter
07-01-2018, 3:04 PM
I live an hour away from there and have visited many many times but can't recall much in the way of displays or tool stores. Where are you staying?
The battlefield has a lot places to bike and the ranger programs are fantastic

Brian :)

We'll be staying smack in the middle of town.

Brian Hale
07-01-2018, 3:32 PM
There are several antique shops in town with a smattering of old tools but the few times i've been in them is was slim pickings. Not to mention the prices..... Those are high rent buildings and they need to pay the rent somehow.

Side note... i've good meals at Farnswoth house

Pete Taran
07-02-2018, 2:13 PM
Chris,

Forgo Gettysburg and head further East to Morgantown / Adamstown. Adamstown is essentially a big Antique Store. Dozens. There is one large one that is only open on Sunday. You are sure to find some great stuff. Everytime I go, I always do. To far to ride your bike though....

Tony Zaffuto
07-04-2018, 9:33 AM
Just left there yesterday! Not much in town, but if you head west on Route 30, about 18 miles, to Fayetteville, PA antque mall (several buildings, both sides of Route 30), there are several decent dealers there. Stopped this past Sunday, and nothing I really needed, but still better than most stops.

Have bought much there through the years, inluding NOS box of Jennings auger bits (4 remaing in box, all 5/8"), for $6.00, a NOS Stanley 750 for $8 or so, a Record 52e, again NOS for $60. Many, many great oilstones, many user handsaw.