PDA

View Full Version : Maybe of interest to some?

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Either way I’m board dog sitting at the moment so I figured I’d share what I’ve been up to the last few days.

Everything cherry is for work. I just happen to be building it at home as I had machines better suited to stain grade work. Plus our shop is on the top floor of a old mill building with floor to ceiling windows. Needles to say it’s a bit hot in the shop these days in New England. My shop on the other hand is perfect self moderated with regard to both temperature and humidity year round.

I have been working 60-70hrs a week without vacation for many years now. It really leaves little time for my own work. Good thing I mostly enjoy my actual work for the most part.

I found a bit of time in the last day or two to put some time in on a personal project or two I have had just sitting for god knows how long.

I’ll start with the plane rack seen in the chisel rack post.

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 11:37 AM
The picture shows how the rack is attached to the wall along with the taper batten that sets the angle of the panel so the planes will stay put.

I have to admit attaching the piece to the wall was a bit of a afterthought. Well not so much a afterthought, I had a few ideas and was unsure exactly what option I wanted to settle on. I decided to just proceed and figure it out later. I like to kinda build as I go with my own work and let something just evolve. Often I can see the piece in my head when I start but as I begin constructing it and can now see it in 3D form I often make amendments. Maybe this is a sight of a lazy woodworker or maybe a sign of something else. Being I have to follow plans at work 60-70hrs a week I choose to operate with a little more freedom and creativity on my own time.

Anyway I settled on a French cleat. The only issue with doing so at this stage of the game was that I had to cut the female portion of the assemble by hand with the bat tents attached to the slab. I could have removed them but doing so would only loosen the joinery of the sliding dovetails so ikopted for a Japanese saw and a sharpe chisel or two. A;l in all it only tool me 30 minutes. It always blows my mind how quickly ha d work can move and how accurate a result one can get withou the swift potential for distaster a improperly setup machine can cause.

The slap will be outfitted with small ebony rips fastened with brass head screws to secure and organize the individual planes.

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Bellow is the hand plane collection to date.

I have a whole pile of the HNT stuff on hold via another forum member. I dint think the HNT stuff will make it onto this rack. I think I’ll keep this for just my Lie Nielsen stuff. Sadly before I can proceed with the ebony I need to continue to acquire the last few Lie Nielsen planes I have been wanting. My reason for waiting is mostly layout.

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Next up is a little shelf I started making god knows how long ago.

The piece of mahogany was reclaimed from the demolition of a house I gutted remodeled along with put a fairly large and nice addition on about three or four years ago. The ebony is just scrap offcuts form other projects.

Pretty rediculous I know but it’s again a French clear system to hold my shaper tooling and accessories. Just remember I tend to get it to these rediculous projects as they help me unwind and working 60-70hr weeks I really have no time for my own work.

Maybe someday. For now I’m gonna make $$$ while its there to be made. Building cabinetry for a living scares me more than when I was a carpenter doing high end residential construction. Only time will tell I suppose but I plan to be ready this time with $$$ in the bank. I then plan to use the time to focus on my own work.

Bellow is a detail of the chamfer on both the mahogany and the ebony edging. I gave thoughtand pause to using the Waterlox on this piece out of fear it would hurry and abscure the fine chamfers. Well it seems that is exactly what it has done. I’m only like three coats of waterlox into what is normally ten coats. In the pictures to follow you will see another picture holding a spindle for my shaper. That’s shelf I fished with West Systems Epoxy and wax.

I generally prefer a oil finish to either of the above but being this is shop stuff I wanted it to have a finish that could be easily repaired hence the waterlox. As for the epoxy finsh well I don’t know what I was thinking other than it should be tuff.

Also for “Brian H” the mahogany shelf was largely a test piece project to see how well I had setup those Japanese planes you so graciously and pain stakingly walked me through.

I recently ride to use them to smooth the desk top bellow but ultimately resorted to sanding :( I guess my Japanese Kanna setup and hand planing skills still have room for improvement. Don’t knock me on the board selection or lack of ripping boards to the same width as the make the 90% corner. This desk top was a work project and I was supplied the stock by my employer and told to make it work the best I could. I was pretty disappointed in the mineral streaks and lack of consistency with regard to width of boards. It would had been nice if they could have at least been the same width working from to back. Sadly the pile of stock I had to yield the top dictated my decision making vrs logic and quality of craftsmanship.

Jim Becker
07-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Wow...incredibly beautiful work and end-result! While I know some folks would say "why" to using such nice material in the shop, I can see how much inspiration and uplift it can and will bring to you for years to come each time you turn your attention in that direction.

I also hope you get more "you time" going forward. Keeping that 60-70 hour pace long-term can be "not healthy" for many folks.

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 12:29 PM
The two base units that go to the desk top above. The desk is built into a two adjacent walls. The small carcass supports the left of the desk the large carcass supports the right of the desk. A small apron connect them just under the front working edge of the top.

Some details of joinery. Again don’t hold me to the fire on the design of this stuff. We work with a number of architects. The architects keep the work coming and thus decide much of if not all the details. In this case the two bases were to have horizontal grain orientation tying into the solid wood tapered legs. Whatever pays the bills so long as I’m getting paid to build stuff and I’ll build you whatever you want.

As a result I found it best to construct the panels to thenlegs much like a table top with draw bore bread boards ends. I don’t have pictures of this joint as I was busy listening to Jerry on my phone. Often this is the case when I’m building and picture get taken after the good stuff has taken place.

Sadly both units get pre made dovetailed boxes and the drawer fronts just get applied. The client also opted for the units to just get shot with conversion varnish. No oil no stain :(

Completely butt backwards as this same project has a kitchen I built and have zero photos of tomdate made of QS European Sycamore one of the whitest figured woods one can obtain. Get this the client opted to stain the sycamore, go figure. Like I saii]d you pay me I’ll build you whatever you want.

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Ok so this is what I’m doing this weekend “for work” not fun but I guess I enjoy it ;)

I’d enjoy it more if I was able to joint the miter wrapped styles with hides dovetails and dado together the carcass parts vrs butt joint and screw them. It is what it though and I’m just happy to have my job and boss that can keep up providing the 60-70 hr weeks I want to work to make the wages I want to make.

Pile of door and drawer fronts, door faces and end panels. Again go easy on me on my lumber selection and construction techniques. I was told by the boss “you see that pile of cherry on the bottom of the lumber rack, see what you can do about making me these two vanities with it” it’s not ideal but they are getting a medium to dark stain so it should obscure the garbage stock. Get this the client or architect chose a walnut colored stain. Why not just use walnut they you might ask?!

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 12:56 PM
A few more..

Styles for ff and end panels cut from same board as to have a continuous grain around the corner. It’s a big deal my boss even lets me do this much never mind hidden dovetails as industry standard would be abbutt joint with exposed long grain of the ff showing agains the face grain of the end panel styles.

Well that’s it for now. Ran out of packaging tape and am awaiting more to arrive. I’ll get the second ff miter wrapped then start cutting carcass parts and get the ff and end panels glues onto them. I should have the doors and drawers fitted and everything sanded and ready for finish by end of day Monday.

Oh and how could I forget my idiot bulldog..

And best friend! Well other than my other dog that is..

Oh and how could I forget, this phycodelic experiment. Sadly it’s the closest thing I get to phycodelic fun anymore lol. I’ll take it though. Gonna finish it with a number of coats of West systems. Actually the first coat is unsderway as we speak. It was also a offcut form another build and destined for the trash pile. It’s been the offcut just happened to fit perfectly inside my ts fence so that’s where it has lived for the last few years. I’m gonna replace the fence sides with black delrin. Yup I’m nuts 🥜 but I enjoy it so whatcha gonna do?

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 1:02 PM
Yeah it is kinda wasteful.

On the other hand the Birdseye I got off CL for $3 bf to the tune of 400bf. In all reality I think I used three sticks for that shelf. I think I have it to spare ;) as for the ebony well let’s just chalk that up to my type A perfectionist have to have exactly what I want only child syndrome. At least I know I know I’m out of my mind right?

As for work, I come from a long lineage of workaholics. Plus if I want to continue to work with beautiful materials on beautiful machines I don’t have much choice. The trade off and logic is doing something I love or at least can to,erase and or find aspect to enjoy so it does not feel like work.

Part of why I work so hard bellow. I hope for a t-60, t-12 sliding table shaper and matching planer to magically appear in ,y shop before the economy b]gies belly up. Ill just settle for before I retire. I’m 40 so I think it’s a realistic dream lol..

Wow...incredibly beautiful work and end-result! While I know some folks would say "why" to using such nice material in the shop, I can see how much inspiration and uplift it can and will bring to you for years to come each time you turn your attention in that direction.

I also hope you get more "you time" going forward. Keeping that 60-70 hour pace long-term can be "not healthy" for many folks.

Patrick Walsh
07-01-2018, 4:48 PM
Packaging tape gnome came home with gifts..

Second ff and upside drWing of space these will be in..

More tomorrow. Didn’t get much done today. Nice to just relax a bit.

Patrick Walsh
07-02-2018, 10:16 PM
No miracles today. I did however fully expect to have the drawers fitted today. Oh well it is what it is.

If the upper drawers are looking weird to some it is to accommodate extra wide sinks specified by the architect and customer. The result are the upper drawers “centers fixed” left and right have a face wider than the box. The drawers in this case are a partial overlay solid slab with a ogee edge treatment. The lowers doors and or drawers are inset.

The smaller of the two vanities has all drawers as explained above as to accommodate the plumbing. I’m not very fond of this design but again it’s not my idea or my house so as they say se la vie..

Tomorrow is backs fit drawers and doors, make upper drawers or rather cut stock I already have dimensioned up and profile the edges and make solid wood skins for the the toe kick. Then it’s a quick sand fest.

Jim Becker
07-03-2018, 9:02 AM
That is really beautiful work, Patrick...

Brad Shipton
07-03-2018, 7:58 PM
There is a grain of dust on your floor. What gives? haha

Nice joints, and great finishing.

Patrick Walsh
07-03-2018, 10:22 PM
Thank you Jim.

It’s not Japanese joinery but it’s pretty nice for box cabinets I guess. I have used those fancy Japanese chisels a couple times on this project but not for anything other than to pair something flush. The hand planes have got some use though.

I don’t quite get how most cab shops don’t take the time worry about one style being short grain and the other long yada yada, I hardly believe it. It would look like a absalute garbage. I did my best to make sure my drawer styles and tails were cut from one board and the grain would continuously run through end to end.

Anyway it’s not piece de resistance but considering the pile of lumber I had to work with I’m relatively happy. In the pictures bellow a few boards look much darker than other. In most has just been due to us exposeur. I’m hopeful that when I give everything a sand it should all even out.

If not there is always the ugly and blasphemous stain the client or architect has chosen to even things out. Who knows maybe I will be very thankful for that stain in th next couple days.

Anyway a few more pics attached. Don’t mind the giant retails. They are a result of euro drawer slides “again something I’m not fond of” but what kitchen do you know of these days built with anything else. Anyway the minimum revail allowed is 3/32nds. I make them slightly tighter than that. If you go to tight the drawers will rub if you open two at a time as they sag at extension.

A little more toe kick to make tomorrow and a miserable day of sanding and to the spray booth it goes.

Patrick Walsh
07-03-2018, 10:33 PM
The top drawers are partial overlay. Pretty straight forward other than these are vanities and have sinks. The sinks are like 22.375” wide while the drawer and door openings on the large vanity are 18.25”.

The small vanity if you notice is all drawers and a style splits it right down the middle. As a result there is not only not enough room Fios the bowl of the sink but also no place for the pipes. Often if there were one bank drawers side to side we would just use a horseshoe shaped drawer box. Again I think that’s crappy but again it’s not my decision.

In the case of this small vanity all drawers must be treated like the top drawers. So when you open them the box is more narrow than the opening and the space is filled with in this case cherry. For a inset drawer this is very straight forward. For the partial overlay not quite as straight forward. For the top drawers I’m left two options, one recess this cherry the .25back from the face frame to allow fir the rebated portion of the drawer to close. Or two hog off the rebated section of the drawer back that dies not fit within the actual drawer opening as shown in the pictures bellow.

And a little something for me at the end of a long day.

Patrick Walsh
07-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Yeah I’m kinda anal retentive about a tidy workspace. I clean as I make messes all day then I spend a good 20 minutes at days end vacuuming everything from benches to machines to flora and putting away all my tools.

I’d loose my freaking mind any other way resulting in really resale shotty work. If my souroundings are a mess, my mind is a mess.

Jim Becker
07-04-2018, 9:44 AM
True craftsmanship goes well beyond the joinery...as you mention, it's also about carefully selecting material for color, grain, orientation and a homogeneous look. Honestly, that's actually the first step in the finishing process and comes even before you start assembling anything!

Ted Calver
07-04-2018, 11:16 AM
This is a really enjoyable thread. It puts a big smile on my face to see fine craftsmanship in what some might call everyday pieces. Not the kind of attention to detail found in mass produced cabinetry. I hope the clients (and your boss) appreciate the effort and quality.

Brad Shipton
07-04-2018, 11:33 PM
I was just teasing Patrick. I clean up frequently too, but mine rarely looks as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Patrick Walsh
07-04-2018, 11:45 PM
Done!

Patrick Walsh
07-04-2018, 11:49 PM
That’s a full day of sanding. A looooong full day. Makes me really appreciate work put together with zero glue and every piece is finished prior to assembly.

I really do hate plywood, sandpaper and glue. I’m just not good enough yet to get the bumper sticker.

For real I enjoyed building these two units. Sadly I think I’ll be out of the shop for a few weeks installing a number of projects we spent the last few months building. I despise insataltion or field work in general. Sadly I’m good at it and it pays the bills.

Next up is a roll top desk. If I can conjure up the will I’ll post pictures of that. I’m not much for these posts as I really never have the time. Im 40hrs in this week already that’s starting Monday and working through the holiday.

Bed time...

Patrick Walsh
07-04-2018, 11:54 PM
I hope so also?

I think my boss appreciates me, actually I know he does. Why in th heck else would he finance the toy below for me and let me pay it off with my overtime. As for the client I doubt it. Bet the stuff ends up in a dumpster in the next ten years.

I’m just outside Boston and the people that can afford to buy custom cabinetry generally I don’t think have any real appreciation for craftsmanship. I think for the most part they just expect everything to be nice and think everything is nice as they can generally have whatever they want. In most cases they don’t even know what they want they have Architect or decorator telling them what they like.

That may sound bitter and it might be but not really. I think it’s just sadly the way it is with the wealthy often “not all” times..

This is a really enjoyable thread. It puts a big smile on my face to see fine craftsmanship in what some might call everyday pieces. Not the kind of attention to detail found in mass produced cabinetry. I hope the clients (and your boss) appreciate the effort and quality.

Patrick Walsh
07-04-2018, 11:55 PM
I didn’t take offense.

I take great pride in my anal retentiveness..

I was just teasing Patrick. I clean up frequently too, but mine rarely looks as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Jim Becker
07-05-2018, 9:40 AM
So....did you size this piece so it would exactly fit on that beautiful bench you made recently? LOL Every. Square. Inch. :D

michael langman
07-05-2018, 12:03 PM
I saw that Jim. I was afraid it might fall off of the bench God forbid.

Patrick, I hope you can post some of the desk build. It's nice to see good talented craftsmanship in action. This post was enjoyed.

Mel Fulks
07-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Spectacular material and work on that plane rack. Hundred years from now someone on a wood forum will want info on removing the "ghosts" on that "table top".

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 1:05 PM
If it doesn't fit the size of my bench exactly I dint take the job ;)

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 1:07 PM
Thanks Michael it's nice to be called a craftsman. Often I think if myself as nothing more than s "box cabinet" maker.

I did have to spin the units atop the bench myself. It was hairy, I was just waiting to chip a leg.

Wait till you all see the horrific stain color chosen for the units. They are fitting in the spray booth right now all stained waiting fir conversion varnish. Another product I really really don't like!

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 1:20 PM
Removing the ghosts o the table top..
Forgive me I'm lost.
I'm a bit self admittedly blonde..

Mel Fulks
07-05-2018, 1:26 PM
It's an old term for color change caused by an object in one place for a long time shielding the surface under it from light and dirt.

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 6:51 PM
Mel,

I don’t knowmhow that went right over my head. I was in the shop of my employer today and I think the heat was melting my brain.

Whomever thinks they are going to repurpose the plane rack in 100 years is gonna have to tend to a million screw holes form the brass screws I’ll be using to attach all the ebony cleats.

In all reality I think the rack will sit as it for probably a number of years to come while I acquire the rest of the LN planes I want. I don’t want to start putting cleats up before I can lay everything out the last square inch.

It is kinda shame to cover up all that beautiful wood with planes but I promise I have plans to leave the best figure exposed. And with the ebony cleats and beautiful LN planes it should be as beautiful to look at then as it is now?

Jim Becker
07-05-2018, 7:07 PM
Honestly, the ebony cleats on that beautiful background will just highlight now nice those planes also look!

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 7:10 PM
Next on the docket.

So a quick back story on this. I stared building this desk like three times to date only to be pulled off by my boss to a more time sensitive project. The time has come though that this has to be done ASAP.

As you will in the plans the desk proper is flanked by tow box cabinet full overlay cabinets. The grain orientation is horizontal QS cherry.

Ok enough of that, the specifics will soon revail them self. I’ll say this project is surely destined for a dumpster. It’s has a phenomenal 1.75” thick desk top made from of the most amazing 8/4 boards I have ever seen. Sadly my boss paid dearly for these boards from a very reputable but overpriced source. At the time he was the only person with enough 8/4 QS cherry for what we needed. A couple months ago I built this two legged table that hands off the side of a large kitchen island for this same project. Ill dig up,pictures of that also.

Anyway back to the dumpster. Other than the top this whole thing is made of MDF and QS cherry Veneer. The veneer was still very expensive but I just loath and despise MDF. I’m clealry a hardwood snob. Even knowing it has it s place and uses I still hate it just as much as I do cnc machines, conversion varnish, plywood and glue.

So back to staring this months ago. I made a moch up of the top portion only to figure out my exact tambour louvre and dado dimension and make jigs for everything. I made the lovers out of crap soft maple and the carcass out of 3/4 mdf. I have it sitting in the shop still and will take a few picks next time I’m there.

To date I have the QS cherry tambour made and pressure fit into a jig awaiting me to contact cement it down. I also have as shown I the bellow pictures the 1.75” thick QS cherry desk to- made.

The finished front profile of the desk is 2.5” I think. Butt matched veneer sheet we’re purchased as to get a continuous grain across the the three pieces that comprise the whole project. The desk is built into a wall that flanks it both left and right.

I have done pretty much zero veneer work to date. Well that’s not true but it has been a small piece her and a small piece there over a number of years. Nothing like this.

Pics to follow.

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 7:16 PM
And so it begins again..

Side profile of center unit or roll top desk.

Full size template of carcass side panel with all dados and grooves included. I used this to make my router template for the dado the tambout will travel in.

The QS veneer sheet stock

Veneer bag setup ready to go.

Fingers crossed I don’t screw anything major up ;)

Tomorrow it’s back to work..

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 8:42 PM
Side panels and template to route dado for tambour

QS top glue up

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 8:58 PM
Pictures of the QS two legged cherry table I made a month or two ago.

As you can see it has a cutout in one corner where it indexes into a large island with waterfall stone edges.

A template the dimension and size of my table was attached to the island. After installation the counter or stone guys will template around my template. After stone is in I will remove the template and my table will slide right in and be lag bolted to the island. 1.25: stone will act as additional support to the non legged side.

Again not my design..

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 9:03 PM
Same

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 9:03 PM
Same 389145

Patrick Walsh
07-05-2018, 9:11 PM
Oops those pictures of the table with the top on are before it was finished. I think the top is just placed on the legs.

It now has the notch cut into it that matches the shape of the apron. The edge has a hand planed chamfer and it’s attached with the oak buttons or whatever you want to call them into oversized holes cross grain.

You might ask why the draw bore pegs became square. Well let’s just say I’m far from perfect. I miss marked a pin and stareted to drive a peg. The peg went in at a angle and crushed the soft cherry. The tow legs were already joined to the horn apron piece and I was attaching the long apron pieces.

Most cases I would had thrown everything in the trash in a case like this. Sadly this lumber was $26bf and I ordered only enough 16/4 rift leg stock to make the two legs. I had no choice. I still hate looking at those huge square pegs.

Thank god it’s not in house and I don’t have to hurt inside evertime I walk by it.

Patrick Walsh
07-10-2018, 9:30 PM
Got the interiors of the carcass panels veneered up over the weekend.

Bellow is the mdf mock up I made to figure out the tambour thickness and dado it travels in.

The actual upper portion of the piece is a bit taller. The whole thing also has a face frame of sorts or rather side and top panels that finish at 2.5” this is just a mock up of from the desk top up.

I had also never built a tambour somthis also acted as a experiment for all the ins and out involved in that. I have actually been pretty surprised at how fairly straight forward it all is. Time consuming but straight forward.

Patrick Walsh
07-10-2018, 9:37 PM
I got pulled in and out of the shop a bit this week so today was the first real full uniterupted day I have put into the project in a few days.

Today I got two interior panels all marked up for the dados that I hope will hold this thing together along with the dado the tambour travels in. I still have to clean all the radiused corners.

I’m very very happy to have this part of the project behind me. I have been loathing this day for since I figured out how I would construct this piece. One wrong move and I would have all kinds of problems on my hands.

I only have So Many pieces of matched veneer to make this happen. Actually I have just enough pieces to make the project with no room for error. To be honest I short one piece and will be making up a piece of veneer from rough lumber I have to go source Thursday morning.

You will notice in the pictures bellow that most of the dados are mdf in the grooves. The dado the tambour travels in is actually through and through cherry.

I]yo thread I think I posted a picture of the to interior panels I inlaid a half inch of solid wood in where the tambour would end up traveling.

Patrick Walsh
07-10-2018, 9:54 PM
Just gotta clean themor square the corners and get out any burn marks left by router but.

I can take a deep breath now.

Sadly I have to spend all day tomorrow moving finished cabinets in need of installation to their new homes vrs in the shop building.

As stressed as I was to “not screw something up today” i can remember thinking to myself. Everyday I get to do this for a living it’s like winning freaking lottery I love it so much.

That got me to thinking a bit. I started thinking that I love doing stuff that leaves me feeling like I just got away with something. Then I thought if I say that people will misinterpret what I’m trying to say. I don’t mean like lie, cheat, steal but more like prior to Woodworking I was a professional cyclist for a time, then spent a number of years ice and rock climbing nearly full time. I really just love doing stuff that requires ones full attention and a commitment to always doing the best one can. Ice and rock climbing and cycling actually forced both matters. Both actually taught me how to 100% give my attention to the task at hand and nothing else. Cycling taught me that hard work and dedication usually results in success, it also taught me to never give up.

I guess I have gotten old if I get my kicks from building stuff that generally has no room for error. Well there’s always some kinda error if I’m to be completely honest. Just not errors one that one can not recover from. I guess same could be said for the above sports also. Sometimes you gotta just throw it in the trash start from the beginning and not let failure get the best of you and forcing another screw up.

I get this is a piece of crap mdf box cabinet and not a actual piece of furniture. Still there’s a few new challenges for me with this piece.

Jebediah Eckert
07-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Long posts usually can’t hold my attention, but yours never disappoint. Awesome projects!

Patrick Walsh
07-11-2018, 9:08 PM
Same for me Jeb.

Don’t know why Im so long winded. You’d think I’d know better being if a post is more than a couple sentences it’s time to abandon.

Long posts usually can’t hold my attention, but yours never disappoint. Awesome projects!

Patrick Walsh
07-11-2018, 9:18 PM
Not much to report today. Sadly I spent a whole day loading and unloading large box truck full of cabs to be installed.

Tomorrow I’ll get some shop time again, I think? Got. Go to the lumber yard also so who knows...

I did get a couple pictures of one of two units for a desk I built a number of weeks ago now. The whole desk is L shaped. It has a carcass on the far left and right sides that support it along with a apron attaching the two. It also has a solid tiger maple top. I think the longest run was like 108”? The whole thing runs wall to wall.

Anyway I didn’t instal or attach the drawer faces to the boxes so mind you p’s&q’s on that one! I was pretty unhappy when I took this unit out of moving blankets and saw what I saw. What are you gonna do, I can’t do everything as I have to keep building.

Pretty nice for a box cabinet though I’d say. The drawers and sized to hold legal files.

Jim Becker
07-12-2018, 9:57 AM
Build threads like this are always interesting...and IMHO, they shouldn't be "succinct" because the details are important! Keep it coming...

Patrick Walsh
07-12-2018, 8:14 PM
Guess I should add some actual details then lol..

If only I had the time.

Not a ounce of progress today. Lumber yard run the RMV took over my life today.

Build threads like this are always interesting...and IMHO, they shouldn't be "succinct" because the details are important! Keep it coming...

Christopher Charles
07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Patrick,

What Jim said...build threads are also my favorite. Good to see you making some progress on you shop too! Your bench looks great in the action shots!

Also, how are you liking your paring chisels, they’re real beauts if I recalll.

Thanks for taking the time to share your work.

Best
Chris

Patrick Walsh
07-13-2018, 8:24 PM
I love the bench. Glad you also like it.

Other than my Martin jointer it is by far my favorite tool. I’ll never regret for a minute making it so stout or large.

The pairing chisels are nice but my Kiyohisa bench chisels and unreal!

Patrick,

What Jim said...build threads are also my favorite. Good to see you making some progress on you shop too! Your bench looks great in the action shots!

Also, how are you liking your paring chisels, they’re real beauts if I recalll.

Thanks for taking the time to share your work.

Best
Chris

Ron Citerone
07-15-2018, 7:52 PM
Nice work and great thread! Thanks for sharing.

Patrick Walsh
07-15-2018, 9:32 PM
Thank you for saying so.

And your welcome.

I also enjoy build threads. I’m not sure I would consider this a build thread but?

I have learnt most of what i know if not all looking over my shoulder on a job site or through build threads books and then just getting to it.

The internet has changed everything.

Nice work and great thread! Thanks for sharing.

Patrick Walsh
07-15-2018, 9:50 PM
So I did not get as much shop time as I thought I would this past week. I spend quite. A bit of time doing other tasks in need of doing. Be it moving cabinets in need of installation, lumber yard runs and or a myriad of other things that just pulled me away from building.

Anyway I really got back to it today. I figured I’d have the carcass together but no dice. Tomorrow or I’m in big trouble with the boss. This thing is supposed to be in a spray booth first thing Tuesday morning. Clearly that is not going to happen.

Couple days ago I got to cleaning the corners of the mortise of the interior panels and then running the tenon of sorts on both sides of the solid wood cherry top. I chose to use the sliding table of my shaper for this. There’s a million ways I coulda done this including my nifty HNT moving fillister but the sliding table on the shaper seemed the most intuitive to me.

The tables on my my shaper sag a bit in the center thus creating slightly uneven cuts depending on the size and shape of the workpiece and operation. In the case of a top like this I was having discrepancies in cut from one end of the tenon to the other. In the end I brought everything into uniformity with the moving fillister. I couldn’t help but think I shoulda just used the fillister in the first place. I consider this route initially but the machine woodworker in me didn’t trust the handtool approach would reward me with a perfect clean tear out free cut. In the end the hand tool saved my butt and or made quick work of cleaning up the inaccuracies of my piece of junk shaper. I really do need to get a better shaper. The Felder is good enough and quite nice in some ways. But any machine with the slightest inaccuracy that can’t be tuned out I just assume put on the curb.

Patrick Walsh
07-15-2018, 9:59 PM
I then dry fitted all my carcass pieces together including the desk top just to see how things were coming together and fettle out any potential issses prior to glue and “screw” up. Yes I’ll be using lots of screws to hold this piece of mdf crap together.

A picture showing the joinery of the solid wood top into the mortise of the interior side carcass panels. Also showing off a handle I made for one of my Japanese genno from a left over scrap of the tiger maple desk I made a couple months ago now.

The desk top rides in a 1/4 x 1” dado. The front is haunched and run about .5 short of the dado to allow for cross grain wood movement. The desk top will not be glued but screwed. I will secure it on one end with a screw on either side. Sequential screw will be put in elongated holes running front to back. The front edge of the desk top is set back 1” form the front edge of the side panels so as it moves seasonly none should be the wiser.

Patrick Walsh
07-15-2018, 10:11 PM
My back panels go me to thinking about the Chippendale thread.

What a mess ehy. I’m prettty horrified myself but this is a box cabinet after all and destined to be torn out and thrown in a dumpster the next time the property sells.

When I was veneering up the panels I used veneer backer as to resist the panels for warping when in the bag.

I knew they would be thicker than the .5” dados I ran as a result. I figured I had two options at the time. I could run a slightly larger dado. I had put the dados in using a festoon router on a rail. I have taken this approach before and decided the slightest discrepancy would lead to unsightly gaps between panels.

As you can see I opted to time save or wide belt the panels back to the appropriate thickness. Not wanting to lug all the carcass parts back to the shop we’re the widebelt lives I opted to measure with a pair of calipers. I also ran a dado with the .5 in a scrap and brought that with me.

In the end the panels still ended up a bit to tight to put together and take apart repeatedly without potentially damaging my veneer panels.

I nearly packed the panels back in the truck and head back to the shop to use the widebelt. Needing to just get this thing done at this point and knowing after the drive to the shop and back and being Sunday I would never want to get back to work I reached for the moving fillister again.

It worked a charm and in all honesty I shoulda just used it in the first place over the widebelt. Next time I will. I know your thinking a ebony HNT moving fillister cutting rebates in plywood and through cardboard veneer backer. This guy clearly has no idea what he is doing that’s not how box cabinet builders make cabinets. Oh well lol....

Patrick Walsh
07-15-2018, 10:23 PM
With the top back and side panel fit together I needed to still tend to cutting the pieces that comprise the cases top. This piece will sadly just be screwed and glued. The whole piece has a finished 2.5” farce frame of sorts or finished profile. You will see as the project progresses how I plan to do this without a face frame.

I got lazy and opted for dominoes to join these two pieces. Often we would just order wrap a joint like this with zero joinery. With all the mdf being used on this piece. It’s sheer size and lack of what I would consider joinery I felt I had to do something. The domino kept things moving along. It was a compromise. This joint also needs to never open up as the face and sides of this will all being veneered after the carcass is constructed.

I was also able to finally use a absolutely beautiful bevel set I that arrived in the mail a bit over a month ago. Man just look at those tools. Works of art themself and perfection in craftsmanship. Both things I greatly respect and strive to one day obtain as a craftsman myself.

Here I used a couple scraps to check my angles before I cut them into my previously veneered panels. Don’t need to mess something up at this stage. Well actually I can’t mess up at any stage as I have zero extra veneer. The veneers we ordered are supposed to be butt matched thus allowing me to get a perfect continuous grain wrap. As you can see from the back panels I clearly didn’t get butt matched sheets. Pretty annoying at like $300 a sheet.

I’m really just showing off my toys in this pick ;)

Patrick Walsh
07-15-2018, 10:36 PM
With that done I had to mill up and make the front apron that runs just under the desk top.

Why the architect did not opt for some kind of drawer here I don’t know. I asked and was told no drawer. This apron is a pretty major component of the desks structure imop. I know, I know that tiny little tennon and into mdf are you kidding me! Nope I’m not kidding. My boss would had told me to just make a butt joint and glue and screw it. It will still get glue and screws. I’ll also run a groove down the back side of it and back some oak buttons to aa]ttach it together with the top.

A drill and a chisel makes surprisingly quick work of a couple mortise in cardboard. If only wood actually worked with such easy. Wait, no I don’t actually want that.

I was thinking again about the chipendale thread as I was cutting mortise in MDF. My thought was something like this. What is the point of all this except to make sure the piece does not implode on its way form my shop to the spray booth and then from the spray booth to its final resting place. Anyway the thought was that there is no way any of this IKEA or mdf crap will be around in 2-300 years as even if someone does think oh don’t throw grandpas QS cherry desk away just put it in the basement or the garage. Anyway. It’s gonna get whet and when it does it’s gonna turn into a giant pile of garbage and in short order a landfill.

I put a haunch in the lower part of the tenon to hide any potential mess made in the cardboard mortise.

Can you tell I hate mdf and plywood.

Patrick Walsh
07-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Forgot to add a picture of the dominoed together top panel and face frame return.

And then one of my best shop buddy and probably why I can work back to back 60 plus hour weeks months on end.

Tomorrow this thing has got to get glued screwded and the build out that creates the 2.5” finished face profile along with exterior side panels on.

I actually need to get a couple pieces of the veneer on tomorrow also if I’m gonna get this thing in a spray booth Wednesday. Remember it is supposed to be in the booth Tuesday. As all can see that is just not gonna happen.

Anyway hope you enjoyed. Time for ice cream cookies �� and the news. As you can see I’m really living la Vida Loca!

Jim Becker
07-16-2018, 8:57 AM
I also enjoy build threads. I’m not sure I would consider this a build thread but? .
Yes, it goes beyond a typical build thread in that there's multiple projects, but you're still building stuff, right? :) :D

Ted Calver
07-16-2018, 9:45 AM
Yup. It's a great build thread and an even better cool toys thread! Really enjoyable. Please keep 'em coming!

Marshall Harrison
07-16-2018, 9:51 AM
Bellow is the hand plane collection to date.

I have a whole pile of the HNT stuff on hold via another forum member. I dint think the HNT stuff will make it onto this rack. I think I’ll keep this for just my Lie Nielsen stuff. Sadly before I can proceed with the ebony I need to continue to acquire the last few Lie Nielsen planes I have been wanting. My reason for waiting is mostly layout.

HNT?

That is some beautiful looking wood.

Patrick Walsh
07-16-2018, 11:29 PM
I really only do this for the toys!

Yup. It's a great build thread and an even better cool toys thread! Really enjoyable. Please keep 'em coming!

Patrick Walsh
07-16-2018, 11:30 PM
Yeah the ebony these HNT planes were made from is exceptional.

HNT?

That is some beautiful looking wood.

Patrick Walsh
07-16-2018, 11:38 PM
I started the day getting top carpcass panel dominoed together.

As always I did a dry run clamping the piece together. Everything went easy peasy and looked perfect. As a result I “figured” the glue of would be a piece of cake.

Well I was wrong. Once I put glue in those cardboard domino mortise the mdf turned to mush resulting in the dominoes sheering the walls of the mortise and pushing the waste to the bottom of the mortise and this not allowing for the joint to close.

It took everything I had to remain calm and find a soolution before the glue setup. Lots of cruising insued and I had to continually tell myself to breath maintain my composeur or I was gonna loose the piece.

Loosing the piece would had been a disaster as I have no more veneer. Anything I do have left is allotted to the project to finish it.

Patrick Walsh
07-16-2018, 11:45 PM
I then needed to fine tune the solid cherry top prior to assembly.

I got a few Japanese Kanna a little over a year ago now. I spent the better part of a week setting them and all my chisels up. I have not used the kana much as they really do require a intimate understanding of the tool. I’m way to busy most of the time with actual work “not play work” to risk what I know my LN planes can do with ease.

Today I took the risk, mostly on account of working with cherry and the Kanna be well suited to the task.

I really gotta start using these tools so I can become more familur with them.

Patrick Walsh
07-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Once that was done it was time to predrill my side panels for the army of screw that will hold this giant pile of mdf crap together.

I used the domino to bore slotted the holes for the solid wood to to allow for movement. The top is secured on its far back side to the back panel with screws. The back panel is dadoed I not the carcass sides, this holds the top from being able to move backward within the carcass. The tennon of the top is cut short by 1” on both its front and back side allowing for the cross grain movement within the dado that holds the top.

Bet you didn’t think Timberlocks were gonna make an appearance in this build did you. Or wait you did don’t you lol..

Patrick Walsh
07-16-2018, 11:56 PM
It was then time to finally start putting things together and making a box.

And yes I know the grain is not a perfect wrap form the iside to back panels. As said I ordered butt matched veneer and didn’t get it.

I also burned the midnight oil and started padding out the exterior of the side panels with 3/4 mdf to accept another full 3/4 side panel. With the interior panel being 1” I’ll fishish with a full 2.5” front exposure.

I. Loathing how the heck I’m gonna veneer up the the whole exterior of the piece. I’d be tempted to use contact cement but as far as I know that is a big no no.

If anyone has and insight they can offer to a high and fast tack veneer glue I could use that would be great. To date I have been using specialty veneer glue. I can’t remember the name or brand. It’s a powder and you mix it. Actually I ran out of that and started using the titebond veneer glue.

Patrick Walsh
07-18-2018, 10:34 PM
So the race is on now. This thing has got to leave my house tomorrow morning. Yikes it’s 10:30 and I still have to wait for the last side panel to dry, de clamp, finish trim routing and then veneer the face of the whole thing.

I’ll start by just posting pictures of the carcass all built without the exterior veneers. As the pictures show I used 1” mdf for the interior panels. That decision was driven by the hardwood I inlaid into the interior of the interior carcas sides for the tambour to travel it.

Anyway this was followed by a build out with 3/4 x 4 mdf rips just glued then routed to copy the interior panels. I then glued up two solid or full 3/4 sheets and router those again to my previous work. Once this was done I felt like I had finally gotten somewhere. Still I knew I have a long way to go.

Oops I didn’t get pictures of the project at this stage so I will share a picture of the next stage. As you see the carcass now has solid exterior side panels.

Patrick Walsh
07-18-2018, 10:52 PM
So the unit finishes at 53.625” wide. Somehow I missed ordering a sheet of veneerwith the grain running the long way. We built and whole kitchen and batch and another office for this project much of it qs cherry. I may have figured we would have a off cut left over. Well we did not so I had to improvise.

We still had a bit of hardwood stock left so I decided the fastest and least expensive option was to make my own veneer. Having never made my own veneers before this sounded good in theory but I feared it might prove a disaster.

I got through without any issues. It was actually quite easy and I’ll never hesitate to make veneer again. I’m sure my boss will not allow,it to just buying it but..

I stared by jointing two sides then taking a slice off on my new MM S500P. Mana o man that saw aid a beast. I was slicing veneers with no feather boards no power feed no real supposition whatsoever other than my tow hand and getting slices I could rpeetible put a caliper on. Wow is all I can say, every time I,pony up big money for a high quality tool I think “see all you naysayers that say I’m nuts for spending big on tools” good tools really are a dream to y]use and make a huge difference imop in frustration levels and this also quality of work.

Anyway pictures..

Don’t hate I’m not perfect. I see that seam and small lamination placed to the front of the carcass as apposed to the back. I also know I could have sized my veneer pieces accordingly asmto get equal size veneers.

I and mishap when applying the glue. My veneer was hanging over the edge of my bench unknowingly to me and the downward pressure of roller split what should have been the front right corner. With glue already spread on the carcass top and 99% spread on this veneer and not a extra piece anywhere I had no choice. I spun the piece putting the split at the far back left corner and settled on that small slice of veneer being at the working side of the desk.

This whole thing turned into a real panic as I had never worked with non paper back veneer before and my veneer started to roll up like a wacky tobaky cigaret. I was so on the verge of panic but I just stayed call got my veneer tape setup and taped the split back together. At this point I was sure I was screwed.

Anyway I got the cowls and claps on took a deep breath, said a quick prayer “I’m agnostic lol” and moved onto the next task. I love the stress and nessesity to be able to refocus even under pressure building fine things can bring. Actually I love it and I’d say it abount the only reason I do this other than $$$. Who am I kidding I’d do this for free. As soon as I don’t have challenge I get board and move onto the next thing. Here is to me continuing to find ways to challenge myself as a woodworker as 9m far from bored yet.

Patrick Walsh
07-18-2018, 11:02 PM
With the top out of clamps I could start thinking about veneering my carcass sides. This was a piece of cake with the paper back veneer. Nothing to seam, nothing rolling up like a cigar yada yada. I will say I’m less than impressed with that fact you can see the paper backing where two sheets of veneer comes together.

Another part of this project is all QS Euro syscamore and at the corner joints it looks like a faint black line against this bright white lumber. It’s just terrible imop but I’m also a perfectionist. Well I strive to be a perfectionist and I extreme;y picky. I admit my mistakes ,try to limit them, always fix them when I can but always notice the slightest screw ups.

Yeah I know the veneer on the carcass sides runs at a crazy ark. I tried to straighten it out the best I could. Without getting into it let’s just say I did the best I could with the material provided.

If you look closely you will see a tow of eyes about 3” form the back side of each panel. I didn’t have the width to cut these little black eyes out and if I straightened my lines out the panels would go from having those eyes on the panel to completely off. The desk does have to box cabinet style carcass that go wall to wall so the case I’d only really exposed 3: top to bottom along the front then from standard counter height 36” up. Still t]it was my option this was my best option. I’m also very disappointed that the butt matched custom order veneer payed up on the short was not even close to butt matched resulting in the grain not wrapping all the way around the piece without interruption. Not even close actually. Another reason to make my own veneer if I’m ever buiding for myself or my own client with deep pockets ;)

I should be able to go take the other panel out of clamps by midnight, Jerezo boss nothing like putting the pressure on! ;)

Andrew Hughes
07-19-2018, 12:25 AM
Somehow I missed this whole thread, I gotta stop staring at my shoes or something.
Really nice work Patrick 👍

Patrick Walsh
07-19-2018, 1:28 AM
Thanks Andrew...

Well I’m a failure, but I already knew that.

1:21 and just out of the shower. If I tried to do the FF tonight I’d mess something up. The project deserves more consideration than that kind of recklessness imop. Probably not my boss though, I think at this point as long as it dine and the client is happy he could care less. I think that is always his reality though. I suppose I respect that though as the guy keeps me fed and in a nice life.

Tomorrow is gluing tambour to backing then rebating the back till it works properly. Also moving it out of my shop and back to work and finishing the veneer work. I think I’m gonna make a veneer for the top rail being as previously mentioned I don’t hsbe s piece long enough at this point.

Tired but not tired, gotta be up in 6 hours..

Patrick Walsh
07-21-2018, 11:27 PM
Well another ones finished.

I learnt a lot building this piece. Namely all things that pertain to building a roll top desk. I will revail my dirty secretes one at a time. I’m sure just by looking at pictures of you many will shake their heads or think how did you miss that. Some I missed others I was aware of from the beginning and just doing what I’m told.

I have t admit to some extent I do have the freedom as the builder to make suggestions based on what I the build might know or see that a architect client or boss may not.

So this past wendnesday I lugged this giant piece out of my shop Nd back my place of employments shop. Man Is this thing a tank.

I had yet to finishes applying the veneer to the face of the whole unit. I tried and failed Tuesday night to d]call the carcass done. I worked till my eyes bleed Tuesday night tomthe tune of 1:15 am. I’m on hour 67 this week alone. Either I’m slow or this is no box cabinet.

Anyway 9monly have a couple pictures of the tambour. I had made the slats a few months ago. I’m;eft them sandwiched in the jig used to glue them up as my boss pulled me on and off this project like three times over three months.

The architect requested a 1 ish “ flat slat with a slight chamfer.

So I set off figuring out a radius that these could travel through. With the interior dimension of the desk being 47.5” I decided the slats needed to be a minimum of .625” thick. I ran them in a .5” dado.

The bottom slat is oversized per the request of the architect. It’s 2x1” in order to travel through the radius of the track it had to have a tenon the size of the smaller slats. It also has to be put in from the front. The fabric of the tambour was left long. Basically the overlised slat will ge threaded inserts. I will then sandwich the fabric between the slat and a piece of hard plastic of sorts.

Anyway enough on the tambour.

Patrick Walsh
07-21-2018, 11:39 PM
I go the tambour in and working a charm. A little wax does wonders from what I have learnt between buiding this piece and the mock up I made to crest the radius and figure out the exact dimensions of the slats and dado that makes the track.

Sadly to my suprise I got the tambour in, stood back as excited as I could be to look at my masterpiece and my heart sank. The giant gaps where the top turns the radius was not expected or part of the plan.

Well that’s not all true. When I made the mock up a few months ago I remember the top rail was slightly to short cover the radius where it travels under the top rail. As a result I adjusted radius and increased the face frame exposure. The first mock up had a the tambour retuning into the desk top without the second radius where the top goes back vertical prior to returning into the desk.

Per the drawings provided many moons ago I had told the architect that I could not get the slats to travel through the lower radius=ius per his drawings without making them tiny. His solution was to do away with this radius and return the tambour into the desk top at the same angle it comes out from underneath the top rail. As a result the architect added these up slightly bat ear kinda things to the side panels. Will draw up picture at a later date and take a photo of it. It’s hard to explain but it was hideous!

In the eleventh hour I decided to make the radius work even though it created more work.

Anyway I screwed up cuz in such a event as this second radius I should have known I need tot use radiused slats not flat ones with a slight chamfer.

Patrick Walsh
07-21-2018, 11:48 PM
The pictures above will also show the loose veneers we sourced for the project and requested a perfect butt match are not even close I’m equally disappointed in this. I’m Also disappointed the grain is not very starlight and in the 33.5” depth of the side panels o]i could not get a straight or level line. When it came to veneering the face frame today I had very little veneer form the side panels yet I still had to work very hard to straighten out the grain so it did not run across the face frame at a angle.

The lesson here is make your own veneer. My boss would never allow for this as I’m sure he could never make a dime on such a project. I’m sure he made nothing on this one so....

The other lesson was radiused slats if the slats travel through a radius track that is not obscured by the carcass. I just think this 180% half round slats are ugly as can be. The fact is so isn’t what I created using the flat slats in a exposed radius track.

So here are pictures I really don’t want to share. I’ll do it anyway though as it’s the honest thing to do and honesty is very important to me.

I’ll get pictures of the two carcass that flank the left an right sides of this tomorrow or after installation if I happen to be back onsite to see it installed.

Ted Calver
07-22-2018, 10:14 AM
You made the best of a less than optimum situation and still made it look good. From a distance, the gap in the tambour slats at the lower radius jumps out more than the veneer issues and made me ponder, in hindsight, on what might have been done to make it less noticeable. Perhaps a tad less severe radius or maybe just a graduated reduction in the width of the few slats in the radius area? From a design standpoint, would seeing the reduction in slat width please the eye because the designer recognized the issue and took steps to accommodate the severe radius?

Jim Becker
07-22-2018, 11:03 AM
How the tambor is constructed can make a difference with this, too. A tambor design that interlocks will not show a gap as noticeably because there is technically no gap. The joint might be wider while it's bent, but it's still closed. Tambo constructed with wood over canvas isn't continuous wood, so gaps might show more at the bend extremes.

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 8:53 PM
So the project is installed and finished. There are many pieces I also made and or lended a hand in making that took place not in my shop but at work. I tend to work from home when something requires and good jointer or planer as to date our planer is junk.

This is the best shot I have of the roll top installed. The drawer faces still need adjusting and hardware as since been out in tambour.

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 8:57 PM
This is a fridge unit/pantry/wet bar. I mostly just built the miter wrapped panels for this cut and edge banded the doors and drawers and installed it.

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 9:00 PM
Vanity in master bath.

I built this in full. The revail son the upper doors of the towers are terrible as when one of my shop mates was mortising the hardware the made a giant mess. As a result the doors and drawers all had to be cut out of a new sheet of QS cherry mdf core. Whomever did it got their measurements a bit wrong.

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 9:06 PM
The L section of the kitchen. All European QS sicamore cardboard core lol..

Floating shelf is solid hardwood per the request of client.

The top revail of the stove is giant as the GC did not seem to care to build up stove and instal the proper vent below. Of it was done the giant revail closes right up. Pretty sure they have not even fasted the oven into the carcass. I can’t tell you how often I see ovens stoves and or giant sub zero fridges installed without any fathers or anti tip brackets.

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 9:08 PM
I didn’t t build the island but I did built the solid hardwood table that hangs off it. Imop it should have had a third leg. The stain they chose to slather all the cherry in is a crying shame imop but hey I didn’t pay the bill.

Jim Becker
08-15-2018, 9:10 PM
I really like how you melded that table with the island!

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 9:10 PM
I made the mantle and bookcases in full. The center panel os reconstituted Macassar ebony otherwise know as poplar. Might as well be cardboard. The actual Macassar was beautiful but $1800 for a 5x5 sheet. The client chose this :(

Stone has yet to be installed.

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 9:15 PM
The tiger maple desk. I built this in full. All draw born and MT joinery.

This is all solid hardwood per the clients request. Sadly I Did not have enough material to make it free of mineral streaks and or glue the top up with boards of the same width and length as they turned the mitered corner. My boss sadly had to work with a budget so this is what they got. Originally it was priced as solid QS figured Euro syscamore. My boss sadly had no idea just how expensive such lumber is in clear and free and in 4/4 and 8/4 stock of the lengths we need. He also had no idea how hard it would be to find. We did find it but it would had cost like 7-8k for just the material. The client insisted in solid hardwood.

Again the client chose just clear CV for the desk while they chose to stain one of the purest most beautiful white woods know to man “QS figured Euro Sycamore” I don’t get it but I also didn’t have to pay for it. I just got to have a blast building it all.

Well not huffing mdf dust but you know it’s a give and take.

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 9:27 PM
Then there is this monstrosity. A $35K Macassar ebony dinning table. I won’t mention the makers name out of consideration. $35 k is fine with me I guess if you have it and that’s what you want to do but a pile of veneer with zero joinery.

I have seen $150 dinning tables in custom homes actually way back in the 90”s and that thing was beautiful. $150k for a table is crazy as is $35 but the one for $150 you could at least understand why. This table not so much. The house with the $150 table also had 24K gold lighting and faculty’s throughout its 27k square foot.

I did like this coffee table quite a bit by the same maker. I don’t know the cost as I did not ask.

Again not to my taste but it is imop a very well designed piece and and I just love the macassar with the euro syc..

I was however horrified watching it being bolted together vrs actual joinery. I get it’s veneer and would be hard to design and build otherwise but it just does not get my respect as a result. Kinda like a tight mark made in in Taiwan or China..

Patrick Walsh
08-15-2018, 9:28 PM
That was the architect not me. Wish I could take the credit. Well only if it had a third leg.

Great idea in theory but it’s missing something imop and does not quite work in the end.

I really like how you melded that table with the island!