PDA

View Full Version : Smock

Mark Inmon
07-01-2018, 8:40 AM
Trying to find a CHEAP solution for a smock and found this shirt at sam's club. Habit Men's Long-Sleeve River Shirt for 16 dollars.

Thoughts

Damon McLaughlin
07-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Mark, I purchased one of these smocks (http://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-green.html) from Timberbits in New Zealand, total cost landed to my door was $19.93 USD. My club members liked it so much that they did a group buy of 25 smocks. Shipping time was right about two weeks. If you were to order one I would highly recommend going one size larger than you normally wear. Go with the green smocks, I was told by Timberbits that the blue smocks use an older and inferior zipper. There are pencil pockets on the sleeves, no chest or rear pockets.

Jens Hoffmann
07-01-2018, 1:13 PM
I have a long sleeve smock that i wear during the winter. Instead of buying a short sleeve one for warm days I started wearing performance shirts. I think I’ll just do that year round going forward. No pockets but they are close to the body so nothing dangling and nothing sticks to them.... if you have one, give it a try

John K Jordan
07-01-2018, 1:14 PM
Mark, I purchased one of these smocks (http://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-green.html) from Timberbits in New Zealand, total cost landed to my door was $19.93 USD. My club members liked it so much that they did a group buy of 25 smocks. Shipping time was right about two weeks. If you were to order one I would highly recommend going one size larger than you normally wear. Go with the green smocks, I was told by Timberbits that the blue smocks use an older and inferior zipper. There are pencil pockets on the sleeves, no chest or rear pockets.

These were just a couple of dollars each, disposable but they last forever. The "fabric" will tear but we cut off the sleeves at the elbow. Keeps the chips away.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00664T014
I have students who like to wear them but I don't use a smock myself, although I have one from the AAW.

JKJ

Thomas Heck
07-01-2018, 2:42 PM
I have found from weed eating in an under armour type shirt, that weeds nor wood chips will stick to this type shirt. I think their made of polyester.

Mark Inmon
07-03-2018, 1:47 PM
I got this shirt Habit Men's Long-Sleeve River Shirt for 16 dollars and give it two thumbs up. It does have buttons and pockets but so far I have not had any issues with them.

Brian Deakin
07-03-2018, 3:43 PM
I wanted a short sleeved light weight smock but was unable to find one in the United kingdom After a lot of thought I decided to purchase a short sleeved lightweight cycling top off e bay

please see link below

https://www.bikesheduk.com/endura-hummvee-short-sleeve-jersey

I chose the Endura brand as it appears to be a good quality garment and purchased one size larger for a more comfortable fit

The material is breathable and the top is a similar design to the Craft Supplies lightweight smock

The price I paid on e bay was $15 compared to and original new price of $60 and it should arrive in 3 days time

Adam Petersen
07-08-2018, 11:24 AM
I use a chef's smock off of amazon. The front folds over itself and the neck can be buttoned up to the top to keep chips out. The sleeves get rolled or cut to short sleeve. One pocket for a pencil. The material if very sturdy and it is comfortable to wear. If you look up "Chef's Coat" in Amazon they have numerous styles to include polyester style ones that are slick for the chips to fall off.

Brett Baum
07-08-2018, 3:11 PM
I've been looking for a smock as well. Just found this one https://happychef.com/cookcool-zip-front-chef-coat-happy-chef.html#ProductDetail_ProductReviews-Container
But it's only available in a small.

Phil Rose
07-08-2018, 5:33 PM
I just ordered one. Looks like just what I was looking for, and at a great price!

Steve Nix
07-08-2018, 7:58 PM
Thanks Damon, just what I’ve been looking for and a great price.

terry mccammon
07-09-2018, 10:34 AM
I use a welder's smock as that was the cheapest thing I could find. That said, if you find the heavier denim type shirts in a thrift store for cheap, but a huge one and wear it backwards. Now that is cheap.

Damon McLaughlin
07-09-2018, 2:17 PM
Thanks Damon, just what I’ve been looking for and a great price.

Don't forget to order one size larger than you normally wear. Everyone in our club that ordered one seems to be pretty happy with them, I know I am. Let us know your thoughts when you get it.

CHARLES D Richards
07-09-2018, 8:04 PM
Don't forget to order one size larger than you normally wear. Everyone in our club that ordered one seems to be pretty happy with them, I know I am. Let us know your thoughts when you get it.

I tried to post earlier Damon but it did not show up. After your post I ordered 2 of the green smocks and went one size up as you suggested. They should arrive this week as they have been in the U.S. for 2 days. Thanks again for the post, I never would have know they were available

Damon McLaughlin
07-10-2018, 1:43 AM
I tried to post earlier Damon but it did not show up. After your post I ordered 2 of the green smocks and went one size up as you suggested. They should arrive this week as they have been in the U.S. for 2 days. Thanks again for the post, I never would have know they were available

In retrospect I wish I had ordered two, for less than twenty bucks its a great smock. Hope it meets your expectations. My opinion is that its a nice smock but that is only one opinion. I'm sure others would like to get additional opinions so let us know if you like it when it arrives.

Steve Nix
07-10-2018, 6:02 AM
They must have went up in price I paid $25 plus shipping $8. Still a good deal

Damon McLaughlin
07-10-2018, 1:25 PM
They must have went up in price I paid $25 plus shipping $8. Still a good deal

That looks like the listed prices which, if I remember correctly, is in New Zealand dollars. At today's exchange rate the total of $33 NZD converts to about $22.56 USD.

Dave Fritz
07-13-2018, 7:10 PM
My cost $33 shipped and delivered. For sure get one size larger and why is the zipper on the left? Is that a down under thing? Happy with the smock and price. Curious about the zipper.

Damon McLaughlin
07-14-2018, 1:43 AM
My cost $33 shipped and delivered. For sure get one size larger and why is the zipper on the left? Is that a down under thing? Happy with the smock and price. Curious about the zipper.

Yes, the zipper is backwards and I was told it was a down under thing. Sorry I forgot to mention that (I'm so used to it now that it slipped my mind).

Glad you like the smock.

Jeffrey J Smith
07-14-2018, 2:31 AM
I’ve got a long sleeve smock that’s nice and heavy for winter - its from the ToolPost in the UK. Zipper is on the left, too. It’s very comfortable and nice and warm - the zipper thing is easy to adapt to if it feels right. I hate to heat the shop until I have to.

Rob Price
07-17-2018, 9:39 PM
I bought a cheap cycling jersey at the local sports supply.

Pockets in the back. The neck zips up tight. Elastic on the sleeves. It’s a great turning smock.

Brian Deakin
07-18-2018, 5:51 PM
I like Rob purchased a short sleeved cycling top .I got a used Endura top off Ebay

My rational being ,buy a better quality used top rather than a lower quality new top

https://www.bikesheduk.com/endura-hu...-sleeve-jersey (https://www.bikesheduk.com/endura-hummvee-short-sleeve-jersey)

I am very pleased with top

(Please note I would suggest going one size bigger for a looser fit )

regards Brian

Steve Nix
07-19-2018, 7:27 PM
Got my down under smock it today, nice .

Russell Neyman
07-20-2018, 11:08 AM
This looks to be as good a place as any to vent a complaint. I purchased an "official AAW smock" at last month's National Symposium ($60) and have had nothing but problems with it. The zipper keeps coming untracked and one of the seams is coming loose. Grrrrr!