PDA

View Full Version : Hawk 226VS Scroll saw / General Scroll saw advice

skip coyne
06-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Hi
our scroll saw died and we're looking to replace it, I found a Hawk 226VS on craigslist for 375 . Any thoughts on this saw .

We are non profit and we cut plaques in the shape of a sea turtle for a fundraiser , we need about 300- 500 plaques per year . we have a volunteer who cuts them he likes to use the scroll saw . We had a Hitachi that we have been using and it broke the other day so we are looking to replace it .

we are cutting the plaques out of 1/4 oak ply , stack cut 4-6 at a time .

My thoughts are we can by a DIY /homeowner saw in the 100-200 range and replace every few years or go for better quality

I was also looking at dewalt DW 788 on amazon for 489 if the craigslist saw doesn't pan out

https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW788-20-Inch-Variable-Speed-Scroll/dp/B000022313/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530368954&sr=8-2&keywords=dewalt+scroll+saw

We would appreciate any input

here is our program

http://islandturtlewatch.com/get-involved/adopt-a-nest/

Mike Henderson
06-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Hawk makes a good saw. I have that particular saw - don't use it a lot but it's been good in my use.

A lot of people think they want to do scroll sawing but change their mind after a short while. So I often see brand name scroll saws advertised as "low use".

Mike

skip coyne
06-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Thanks Mike

I talked to the seller it sounds good , I would cut them with the bandsaw the volunteer tried both and is more comfortable using the scroll saw , He does a good job and the best part is I don't have to do it .

Mike Henderson
07-01-2018, 2:31 PM
I went and looked at your web site. That's quite a program. And at $100 per plaque you guys can bring in some real money if you get 500 in a year. Congratulations!

I hope the scroll saw works out well for you. If the Hawk ever breaks, repair parts are available.

Mike

John Sincerbeaux
07-01-2018, 3:38 PM
Great program. Thank you for doing that.
I would think you will go through a lot of scroll saws cutting 1/4” ply in a production environment? Have you thought about a CNC setup?

Carlos Alvarez
07-01-2018, 3:39 PM
Hi
our scroll saw died and we're looking to replace it, I found a Hawk 226VS on craigslist for 375 . Any thoughts on this saw .

Buy it! It's a phenomenal machine with excellent support. About a year ago someone put one up on our neighborhood for sale group for only $200. I ran to pick it up immediately. It needed a couple minor things to get it in perfect order, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that parts for it are down right cheap. For under $100 I got a huge pile of blades, a bearing, the two pivot triangles, an upgraded dust blower with Loc-line, and a bunch of blade holder tubes.