PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new drum sander

Rick Peek
06-30-2018, 8:35 AM
So I’m finally going to pull the trigger on a new drum sander. I leaning towards a
Supermax but would consider a Jet. Question is size. So first off I have pretty much
decided on an open ended unit because I will be using it for smaller table tops so
it needs some capacity but I don’t need it for large table tops. Secondly I have
some space but a large wide belt is out of the question. Third is I can’t spend
Much over 2k.I have always been a bigger is better guy,but when I bought my
Festool track saw I went for the 75 over the 55 and find it
a little large and clunky.Last question,is the oscillating feature worth the extra money
on the jet 22-44. On the Supermax trying to pick between the 19-38 or the 25-50.

Mike Henderson
06-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Go with the 25/50 and be done with it.

Mike.

Cary Falk
06-30-2018, 12:37 PM
I like my 25-50

Rick Peek
07-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys,thought I’d have few more opinions, but your input is appreciated.

Dave Zellers
07-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys,thought I’d have few more opinions, but your input is appreciated.
Yeah me too. I bought the Super Max 19-38 a few months ago and could not possibly be happier. The only problem I'm having is it is clogging the filter on my dust collector. My two choices are put a separator in front of the filter or buy a cheap blower (Harbor Freight) and just duct it directly outside. Kind of leaning that way.

Without any real evidence whatsoever, I'm getting the feeling that Super Max is getting the lion's share of the drum sander dollars these days. It seems like if Jet's oscillating DS was a big improvement, we would be hearing about it. Maybe it's advantage is that it can take a bigger bite without burning. You learn real quickly that drum sanders are designed for finishing, not heavy removal. That's not to say you can't put on a 60 grit wrap and have at it, but primarily it shines with fine grits on wood that has difficult to plane grain.

It's hard for me to imagine you not being happy with a Super Max.

Full disclosure- I get thousands of dollars every time I type 'Super Max'.

NOT! :o

Earl Rumans
07-01-2018, 11:43 PM
I have the Jet 22-44 OSC and I love mine. I think the oscillation feature is great. with 120 in the machine I hardly have to do any hand sanding anymore, everything comes out finish ready. I would definitely buy it again.

Brian Nguyen
07-02-2018, 6:25 AM
I'm a happy owner of a Supermax 19-38 :)

Van Huskey
07-02-2018, 6:46 AM
My first suggestion is to look for a used Woodmaster, but if you live in a used machine desert or simply want new I would get the 25-50.

Ken Krawford
07-02-2018, 7:18 AM
I just used my Supermax 25-50 yesterday and love it. It's a beast. If you're not in a hurry, they go on sale for 10% off occasionally.

Zachary Hoyt
07-02-2018, 8:01 AM
I have a 19-38 and am very pleased with it. I didn't need any more capacity than that. I had a well used Woodmaster 718 planer/sander/gang rip saw machine a few years ago. I was very happy when I sold it to someone and didn't have to see it anymore.
Zach

Ken Krawford
07-04-2018, 12:04 PM
https://thisiswoodworking.com (https://thisiswoodworking.com/?utm_source=This+Is+Woodworking+News&utm_campaign=4593dd89b8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_13_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_42cd0f90af-4593dd89b8-295960805&mc_cid=4593dd89b8&mc_eid=004df1a543) has 10% off Supermax til July 8th

Corey Pelton
07-04-2018, 1:40 PM
I just bought a Supermax 19-38 from Acme, only because the 15% sale actually works for the machine, so I pulled the trigger. Was hoping to find something used, but couldn’t pass up the deal.

Nick Decker
07-04-2018, 1:57 PM
Lucky man. The things I'm usually looking to buy are always on the "excluded" list.

Bill McNiel
07-04-2018, 2:09 PM
I did a ton of research before buying a SuperMax 25-50. I believe that the guys who originally designed/developed the Performex, now Jet?, left with the rights to manufacture the SuperMax because of quality/corner cutting (strong possibility I am confused once again). I planned on getting the 19/38 but found a barely used 25/50 for $500 on CL (I had been looking for well over a year) and couldn't resist it. Super happy with it.

The table extensions are a real asset IMHO but the base and wheels pretty much suck. Minimal storage to say the least, build your own base.

ray grundhoefer
07-04-2018, 6:17 PM
I second Van Huskey's comment about a used woodmaster . I found a used 3875 a couple of years ago and it works very well.

Patrick Irish
07-04-2018, 11:55 PM
I just bought a Supermax 19-38 from Acme, only because the 15% sale actually works for the machine, so I pulled the trigger. Was hoping to find something used, but couldn’t pass up the deal.

Exact same boat I was in. Saved taxes on a sale at rockler. It’s a good machine. Manual sucks I think. Doesn’t explain how to tell if it’s out of parallel. I searched for used for months with no luck. I’d def go for a 22/44 or 22/50 or a used wide belt.

I’ve noticed with repeated sanding the wood gets warm or the paper expands and burning happens. That wouldn’t happen with a wide belt or a larger drum sander with bigger motor. Sanding cutting boards wider than 19” to flatten is tricky.

Carl Beckett
07-05-2018, 7:01 AM
Not specifically what you asked so my apologies if this goes off topic, but I personally prefer a widebelt for the range of machine you are getting into.

I just sold a 25" widebelt for well under what you are considering to spend (with a static phase converter). And then went and purchased a 15" overhung widebelt with rotary phase converter as replacement. And also have owned a small 13" Reliant and another WoodTek and they worked great for a fraction of $$

I had owned drum sanders (Performax and Grizzly dual drum) and for me, the belts provided a much better experience. Faster/more aggressive if you wanted it, and the paper didnt load up the way the drums did. Plus belts are easier to swap (vs spiral winding a strip).

Just a thought.

Steve Demuth
07-05-2018, 9:11 AM
Just don't buy a Delta. Probably don't even takeone home if feted for free. Poorest woodworking machine design I've ever encountered.

Rick Peek
07-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Pulled the trigger on the 25/50 supermax. Bought it from acme,got the 150.00 off but then there’s a 99.00 handling charge. Unfortunately it’s not shipping until the end of August

Rick Peek
07-09-2018, 10:28 PM
What’s with big shipping delays. Are they really selling that many units?

Ken Krawford
07-11-2018, 7:10 AM
i'm not sure what the problem is. I ordered one last Sept and it didn't arrive until Jan.

Mike Henderson
07-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Pulled the trigger on the 25/50 supermax. Bought it from acme,got the 150.00 off but then there’s a 99.00 handling charge. Unfortunately it’s not shipping until the end of August
I bought a 25/50 from Acme a while back and it shipped immediately. I suppose they're out of stock and waiting for a shipment from their supplier.

They were a good company to deal with .

Mike

andy bessette
07-11-2018, 1:33 PM
I bought my Performax 22-44 in like new condition for $1,000. Not a huge discount off new price, but it came with a bunch of new sandpaper. Plenty happy with it. Though the Supermax is a good choice.

Cary Falk
07-11-2018, 8:10 PM
Supermax is owned by Laguna now if anybody cares. Mine is pre Laguna.:D

John Sincerbeaux
07-12-2018, 2:48 PM
I would recommend the OP do some serious research before he buys a drum sander new or used. For all the guys who praise their drum sanders, there are guys who couldn’t stand theirs and sold them on CL. I owned a GI dbl drum sander years ago. I bought it new and never could get the performance out of that machine that warranted the price I paid for it.
Unless your drum sander has large, rubber coated, oscillating drums, you will be frustrated. Unless of course you don’t mind taking very slow, very light passes. I think drum sanders can be effective in a luthier’s shop or where thin pieces of veneer are used.
Not trying to be negative Nancy here but just trying to maybe save someone from making the same mistake I made.

andy bessette
07-12-2018, 2:56 PM
...Unless your drum sander has large, rubber coated, oscillating drums, you will be frustrated...

Simply not true. The Performax does fine without this.

richard poitras
07-12-2018, 3:57 PM
I second Van Huskey's comment about a used woodmaster . I found a used 3875 a couple of years ago and it works very well.

There's a great deal on one in the Classifieds..... :)
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?265620-FS-WoodMaster-Model-3875-Drum-Sander

You will not be disappointed.

Rick Peek
07-14-2018, 7:27 AM
Simply not true. The Performax does fine without this.
I have a very old performax 16/32 and think it works pretty good. Just need more capacity,like the intellisand feature. Most people seem to like the 25/50. As far as a used Woodmaster,I’m done buying used equipment. Every time I do it’s some old pos,no parts available. Frankly I want to woodwork,not work on my equipment.

richard poitras
07-14-2018, 7:59 AM
As far as a used Woodmaster,I’m done buying used equipment. Every time I do it’s some old pos,no parts available. Frankly I want to woodwork,not work on my equipment.

Rick not trying to push my Woodmaster but they are built like tanks and parts are and have been available for years. The design has been a tried and true layout and has not changed much do to its quality and dependability. As far as open end sanders the Supermax is definatly a great unit and I would get it over the Jet if those are your two picks.