PDA

View Full Version : Steel City parts?

Don Stephenson
06-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Hey folks. I have a 15" Steel City planer (model 40255) that I want to put a helical head into. I bough a compatible Shelix head from Grizzly, but now I realize I should be replacing the bearings since I'll have it opened up. Does anyone know how/where one can source replacement parts for Steel City machines? Better yet, anyone also have this machine and put a helical head on it? Would love to hear about your experience, in addition to locating replacement bearings. Thanks a bunch!

Doug Garson
06-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Can't help with the other parts but the bearings should be easy. Just take the old bearings in to a bearing or motor rebuild shop or record the bearing model number and use that to get the correct new bearings.

Cary Falk
06-29-2018, 2:28 PM
Bearings can be found at local bearing houses, auto parts stores, Amazon, Ebay. etc. The numbers are stamped on the side of the bearing. The manual looks like a 6205 and 6204? on the gearbox side. Verify the number on the bearing before purchasing but those are pretty common. If you don't have a press, the bearing can be put on the shaft with a hammer and a deep well socket that is slightly larger than the shaft. That is a generic 4 post planer. If you need other parts in the future I bet Grizzly parts would probably fit it. Grizzly also has a video online that shows you how to replace the cutter head.