PDA

View Full Version : Another Router ?

Peter Gavin
11-21-2005, 9:03 AM
I am wondering if any one has any experience withthe Hitachi 2.25 HP router kit. Tool crib has the kit with plunge and fixed bases for $189 plus a free orbital sander. Having to watch my pennies and needing a router and a good sander, I'm only holding off on pulling the trigger to wait and see what you all say. I have to admit, it's funky appearance intrigues me as much as it's price.

Thanks

Peter

tod evans
11-21-2005, 9:08 AM
porter cable is the industry standard and has been for lotsa years. my.02 tod

Anthony Anderson
11-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Peter, I happened to be at a Woodcraft store this past weekend and they had the DeWalt 618PK for $249 (this price does not sound too good), but there was a 20% off sale on dewalt routers which brought the price down to $199. This is the 2 1/4 hp fixed base and plunge base kit with variable speed. There is also a mail-in rebate for a D-handle base. This particular DeWalt kit has received pretty good comments from those who have reviewed it on amazon, and from the magazines. I haven't used it yet, but plan to do that tonight. This was the best deal I had found on this router with the D-handle, and could not pass it up. If you have a Woodcraft near you it would be worth checking out. Any questions, post and I will reply. Hope this helps, Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Peter....do an advanced search here using Hitachi router as the keywords and you'll find numerous threads where this router was mentioned and/or reviewed.

Good luck!

Mike Circo
11-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Do you have a Lowes near you? They have them on the shelf. Go and try one out.

I don't own it, but played with one at Lowes. I did not like the feel. Felt harsh in my hands in the fixed base. Rubberized handles were grippy for control I suppose, but I did not like that plus the shape was odd. The plunge base was very hard to move and awkward to use. Try it out, it may be a personal preference but I did not like the look and plastic feel of it. I love my Hitachi M12V so its not a company thing.

If I were in the market for a dual base setup, I'd go for the Bosch.

Fred Giordano
11-21-2005, 5:28 PM
The way I understand it more amps means more power. If that's true then the Hitachi 2-1/4 hp router which is rated at 11 amps is no more powerful than the Bosch, Dewalt and Porter-Cable 1-3/4 hp routers which are also rated at 11 amps. Their 2-1/4 hp routers are rated at 12 amps. I settled on the Bosch combo from Lowes. The salesman there was a retired cabinet maker and used nothing but bosch in his shop and never had a problem. That helped me make my decision.

Andrew Ault
11-21-2005, 5:50 PM
I'm looking at purchasing another router to supplement my Dewalt plunger. I've listened to what a lot of people have said about various routers and I've examined several routers, including the one you mentioned.

I liked the way the Bosch 1617 worked, both the plunge and fixed bases. I'm used to my Dewalt DW621, so I did not expect to like the plunge on the Bosch, but I liked it alot. I like how open the area is around the bit and the action felt very smooth and controlable. The paddle that controls the plunge was very good.

I like the on/off switch with both bases.

I liked the fixed base the best of all that I tried. It was easy to set/adjust the depth. I liked the wood handles, they feel good and even look cool. I anticipate purchasing another fixed base for table work (a major reason for me buying a second router).

Some places are offering this router in a kit with collets, adjuster and a fence (router guide) for a good price.

Chris McKimson
11-21-2005, 5:55 PM
Hi Peter,

In yet another reply shedding absolutely no light whatsoever on the Hitachi router, :) , I will say that I did see the Bosch combo at Costco of all places for 189.00. I'd get one based on all the great things I've heard about it if I didn't already have way to many routers. :D

Chris

Steve Clardy
11-21-2005, 7:41 PM
I'm a PC fan, have no help on the Hitachi for you.

Peter Gavin
11-22-2005, 9:07 AM
Well, nobody has anything negative to say about the Hitachi, in fact all anybody said was good things about other brands. I'll try and take some time to actually handle some routers over the long weekend before I make my decision.

Thanks

Peter

Bill Esposito
11-22-2005, 9:20 AM
I say if it feels good in your hands, buy it. A decent router and sander for $189 aint nothin to sneeze at.

Personally I've become enamoured with the Milwalkee Body Grip routers for hand held use. To me they are the most comfortable hand held router I've ever used.