PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW746 (kinda long)

Jim Bills
02-19-2003, 10:34 AM
I am near pulling the trigger on purchasing a used DW746 for less than $1000.00, it comes with the sliding table, mobile base, 52"fence, right extension table (with router insert), outfeed table, three zero clearance inserts, etc. It has the replacement fence (to correct on original manufacturing defect). I have been leaning towards the Grizzly 1023SL, but I think for what I want to do, this saw will do a fine job. I need to be talked out of this pending decision, if in your collective opinions, I am making a mistake. Woodworking is a hobby for me, leaning heavily towards home improvements, not furniture building. At this time of my life I don't have the desire to be a fine furniture builder, but would like a nice "foundation" table saw for my shop. I do prefer a left tilt saw, as that is what I am used to using, and do not want the motor hanging out the back. I think I have read all the reviews available and for the most part the saw owners seem to be satisfied.

I attached a photo, note the Incra Fence is not included in this deal.

Jim

Dennis McDonaugh
02-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Jim, that saw will do everything you want it to do accurately and have enough power to cut eveything you could want to cut. It doesn't have a 3hp motor and may have trouble cutting 3" oak all day long, but not many of us do that much anyway.

Rob Russell
02-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Jim,

You're comparing a "loaded contractor" saw to a "stock cabinet" saw. If you're looking for a saw to build a shop around, the cabinet saw is the better saw for the long haul if you're going to outfit it similarly to the DW746.

If you're not the tinkering type, you could be really happy with the already setup Dewalt. If you don't mind the time and investment of building the outfeed tables, storage unit, etc - the Grizzly will be smoother, more powerful, better dust collection, etc. I don't know about the sliding table for the Griz. The DW746 is supposed to be a decent saw - never touched one myself, not een in all the times I've been at the local borg.

Seems to me that it comes down to (1) do you want the setup now or want to build your own and (2) whether you'll be happy with the contractor style vs. the cabinet style saw. The catch is the sliding tale. They make life nice - I'm in the process of upgrading my saw to a slider type.

Rob

Jim Bills
02-19-2003, 12:06 PM
The sliding table is the clincher for this pending deal. I am the tinkering type, and don't mind building whatever I need, but I also don't have to re-invent the wheel just to prove I can (ha). Thanks for your response.

Jim

Bart Leetch
02-19-2003, 12:09 PM
1. The thought comes to mind ... why is this person selling the
saw?

2. I have a contractors saw now that I probably will have for years to come. Why? Because at the time I purchased my saw they didn't have a left tilt cabinet saw that I could afford.

3. You don't have the reason I did in #2.

4. I have to agree go for the Grizzly G1023SL.

5. Over the years to come you'll find that you made the right decision in purchasing a cabinet saw.

Rob Russell
02-19-2003, 12:40 PM
If the sliding table is really important to you, one option is to buy the Griz, get the outfeed and other "shop cabinet" type addons built. Then, when you have the $300, add the Griz sliding table.

Just another 1/2 a cents worth.

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-19-2003, 5:30 PM
If I remember correctly, the Griz Outfeed table will fit the right tilt model but not the lefty. I think it's the position of the dust collector port.

Ian MacDonald
02-19-2003, 8:54 PM
Hi Jim,

I've had a DeWalt 746 for a couple of years now. I'm very happy with my saw. It's more than accurate enough and the power has never been a problem.

At $1000, that setup (without the Incra fence) is a pretty good deal. I think I paid about $1400 for a similar setup minus the outfeed table. That nice cabinet and router plate set into the extension table are a real bonus.

The only thing I've added to mine is an overarm Brett-Guard.

Most of what I cut is 4/4 up to 8/4 or sheet goods. On the occasion that I have to cut something thicker I haven't noticed the saw bogging down. It also easily handles my 8" stacked dado set.

I would think that a setup like that with a nice cabinet saw would cost you considerably more than $1000.

One of the initial reasons I purchased this saw over a cabinet saw was that my garage is only wired for 110V. At the time, the only contractor in the area I could find interested in adding some new 220V circuits wanted more than $1000 for the work. This saw runs fine on a 20A 110V circuit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

-- Ian

Bill Erskine
02-19-2003, 9:10 PM
I too have the DeWalt with the sliding table original rails/fence, I have no complaints. It's cut everything I've asked it to, smoothly and accurately. Of course, I've never owned a cabinet saw, so can't say if I'd prefer that over the DeWalt. The saw can't be more that 3 years old, and I've never heard of any durability problems with the DeWalt, plus there's not much to go wrong. So I'd say assuming everything works smoothly, go for it.

Phil Phelps
02-19-2003, 9:25 PM
I have used my '48 Unisaw since I was a kid. Horse and a half, underpowered for most hardwoods over 3/4". Made do 'till 2000. The five horse I have now will eat it's lunch. I'd go with the horse power. ;)

Ron Jones near Indy
02-19-2003, 9:56 PM
I've look at the DeWalt, but never used one. It looks like it might be hard to turn down. Check it over carefully. Do you know why it is being sold? Looks like a real nice setup.

Howard Rosenberg
02-19-2003, 10:11 PM
1000 USD for a USED DeWalt TS????
I realize it's got a lot of desirable options, but nothing you couldn't add to a Grizzly cabinet saw over time.
Most DeWalt TS owners seem to like it, but that stock fence sure looks iffy to me.
I'd think 1000 USD should buy you A LOT of TS!!!
You guys have so much selection and such a nice $ going for you, not like here in Canada with a dollar approaching the ruble for stability, a few big boxes and 2 1/2 national brands.
I'd do a little more homework and investigate/search for existing owners/surf for reviews of the secondary brands so easily available to you in the US!!
ok ... ok ... I'l get off my bandwagon now.
Howard in -12C Toronto.

Jim Bills
02-19-2003, 11:58 PM
I would like to thank each of you for his response, I am still not sure what I will do, but I am still leaning toward the Dewalt. The saw I am looking at is 1 year and 4 months old, and the present owner is going to cabinet saw heaven with a Powermatic 66.

Thanks again, Jim

Ian MacDonald
02-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Howard Rosenberg
1000 USD for a USED DeWalt TS????
I realize it's got a lot of desirable options, but nothing you couldn't add to a Grizzly cabinet saw over time.
Most DeWalt TS owners seem to like it, but that stock fence sure looks iffy to me.
I'd think 1000 USD should buy you A LOT of TS!!!
You guys have so much selection and such a nice $ going for you, not like here in Canada with a dollar approaching the ruble for stability, a few big boxes and 2 1/2 national brands.
I'd do a little more homework and investigate/search for existing owners/surf for reviews of the secondary brands so easily available to you in the US!!
ok ... ok ... I'l get off my bandwagon now.
Howard in -12C Toronto.
I would think that $1000 for a saw worth $1700 new (when you add all the accessories included) that's only a year and a half old a pretty good deal.

The fence, since DeWalt changed the way they made it from the first production version, is very sturdy and stays accurate.

Unless you run a cabinet shop, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the DeWalt. I know I am.

Regards,

-- Ian

Gene Hatcher
02-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Jim,
I may be late with this reply as you have already gotten good responses. I have had my 746 for about a year and a half and am very pleased with it. It is quiet and smooth. The sliding table is a real joy. No complaints at all. I did add the cast iron wing on the right as I only have the 30" fence rail. Great machine and that seems like a good price.

Howard Rosenberg
02-20-2003, 9:48 AM
Hi all - It's not impossible I may be going off half-cocked when I look at the posts, think of the ads I see in the ww mags and am mystified by pricing. I guess I have "tool-envy" when it comes to your market: the size, the choices and the PRICING!
Bill, I'm sure you'll do what's right for you but if I caused you to second-guess yourself, it certainly wasn't my intention.
Now, if I could only find that soap-box and ditch it forever ...
Howard