PDA

View Full Version : Metal inserts for set screws to push against

stan shields
06-25-2018, 6:41 PM
I know, it's weird. I'm building a new miter saw station and want to make the platforms on either side of the saw height-adjustable so I can tweak them for level. I plan to put T-nuts under the platform supports with set screws in them accessed through a hole in the top surface. The set screws will push against the plywood sub base though and sink in. Anybody know of a metal insert I could mount into the 1/2" plywood to give the setscrews something to push against?

Nick Decker
06-25-2018, 6:46 PM
I use flat head screws under the set screws in my router insert plate.

James Pallas
06-25-2018, 6:52 PM
I know, it's weird. I'm building a new miter saw station and want to make the platforms on either side of the saw height-adjustable so I can tweak them for level. I plan to put T-nuts under the platform supports with set screws in them accessed through a hole in the top surface. The set screws will push against the plywood sub base though and sink in. Anybody know of a metal insert I could mount into the 1/2" plywood to give the setscrews something to push against?
i just use the knock outs from electrical boxes, metal ones. If you happen by a commercial site where they are doing electrical you should be able to find more than you will ever need. Simple little thing that works great.
Jim

stan shields
06-25-2018, 8:00 PM
i just use the knock outs from electrical boxes, metal ones. If you happen by a commercial site where they are doing electrical you should be able to find more than you will ever need. Simple little thing that works great.
Jim

Great idea, thanks jim:)

Bill Dufour
06-25-2018, 8:11 PM
roofing nail?
Bill D.

michael langman
06-25-2018, 8:13 PM
A penny set into a counterbored hole should do it.

Lee Schierer
06-25-2018, 8:18 PM

Pennies fit perfectly in a 3/4" recess made with a Forstner bit. Put a little glue in the recess and then push in the penny.

John Lanciani
06-26-2018, 6:58 AM
Roofing nail- quick and easy, no fussing required.

stan shields
06-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Pennies fit perfectly in a 3/4" recess made with a Forstner bit. Put a little glue in the recess and then push in the penny.
Thanks Cap! Pennies are a great solution.

Steve Peterson
06-26-2018, 1:56 PM

Pre-1982 pennies are much stronger than the newer copper plated zinc pennies.

Davis Young
06-26-2018, 8:01 PM
Rockler and Lee Valley sells washers for the rare earth magnets. Basically a metal disc with a countersunk hole in the middle for a screw. Gives it a clean look.