PDA

View Full Version : Working on another Project..maybe

steven c newman
06-23-2018, 10:27 AM
A small, three drawer chest of drawers, that my 8 yr old Grandson can use.....will try to build as careful as I can, so I don't spring any "leaks":eek:

usually, a Frame & Panel case is made.....rather than a glued up slab. Unable to resaw the 2 x4s down into 4/4 x 3" that I like to use...bandsaw issues. Maybe do a glue-up like I used for the Stepback Cupboards.....and use a sliding dovetail to connect the sides to the webframes....maybe a separate face frame? Same with the top, just a glued up panel, attached to corner blocks.

Drawer size: may just make all three the same. Three full width drawers, using 1 x8s. Maybe 24" or so wide.

Now have a supply of Cut-resistant gloves. My son works at a factory that makes windows for cars and trucks....brought home a pair from there. Trying to limit using the chisels on this Project.

May go looking around...and see IF there is some 5/4 Pine available. Might be able to use that to make a frame & panel.....if not ( or they want too much $$$) I go with the glue-up sides.

Will not be anything real fancy, but needs to hold up to a 8yr old boy. We don't call him GrandBRAT for nothing:D....

Stay tuned....have one month to get something done...

steven c newman
06-23-2018, 3:18 PM
Went to the Green Borg, today...did a bit of pricing....not counting the plywood, right at $40 for just the Pine parts.....Poplar 1 x 8 x 12' was almost that bu itself....didn't even price the Random Maple stuff ( OUCH!).....Figure two side panels, a top panel, out of 1 x 10s, and webframes (4) and a face frame out of 1 x 2s and three 1 x 8 x8' for the drawers. 1/4" plywood for a back, and three drawer bottoms...

Maybe a week to build?

Need for Uncle Sugar's Army to pay me my monthly allowance, then I can go and pick up the lumber...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
06-24-2018, 7:25 PM
Having "Bandsaw Issues".....lower wheel needs new bearings....sometime..
Tried to resaw some scraps...got to the point I even tried this...thing..out
At least it doesn't burn the wood ( can't move THAT fast)
Today, decided to at least clean the boards up a bit..
Cobbled a little jig, to hold the skinny parts still..
Mostly with a Millers Falls No. 14 and a bit with the No. 900, since it was still out...
tried again to at least rip some thin Cherry..
I cut this in half, then tried the bandsaw to rip each down the middle...
More work for the planes....need to dig up the model number of the bandsaw, and find out what bearings the lower (drive) wheel takes...
Just puttering around, waiting on the load of Pine boards to arrive...might try to build a fancy little box. Strips are Oak, Ash, Maple, and this Cherry.
Have already split this apart, at the glueline. Maybe a lid...and a side panel? Will see how bored I get...
Also have a few 1/4" panels I can use....May bevel their edges, and house them in some grooves....in a Frame & Panel style....

Stay tuned...

BTW: Bandsaw is a Craftsman 12" (80" blade) Model No. 113.27350 ( Emerson built)......will need the lower bearings, IF I can get the old ones out, and find new ones....somewhere...( maybe at NAPA..TSC, Rural King?) NO....I can't afford a new bandsaw right now. That is not an option.

Richard Hutchings
06-25-2018, 9:07 AM
I just did a quick search on Amazon. They seem to have any size you need. Just take the old ones out and measure them.

steven c newman
06-25-2018, 9:04 PM
Would prefer to be able to compare old vs new in a store, to make sure they will indeed match....

Andrew Pitonyak
06-25-2018, 9:31 PM
A small, three drawer chest of drawers, that my 8 yr old Grandson can use.....will try to build as careful as I can, so I don't spring any "leaks":eek:

Your funny Steven. I spring a leak just poking through my wood stash while thinking about a project.

Keep us updated on what is going on with the band-saw; not that I have a bunch of time, but.....

steven c newman
06-26-2018, 3:39 PM
Had guests in the shop yesterday....need to go back down to the shop, and put all the toys away. Will just wait til the weekend, then buy a bit of lumber, and do a little woodworking. Have enough clamps now, I can get the sides glued up, and the top. Need to make four webframes, and a faceframe. Maybe get all this done by the 18th of July?

steven c newman
06-26-2018, 8:56 PM
Have the bandsaw torn down...working on the parts. But, IF I need a bandsaw for the chest of drawers....
I can dig it's back-up out, and put it to work. Craftsman 12" three wheeler.

steven c newman
06-29-2018, 5:52 PM
OK, had to go to Lowes, today...didn't want to...didn't have the time to go over to Menard's for lumber....and paid the price...

Spent $42 on barely enough Pine to build the case. For what Lowes wanted for ONE drawer's worth.....I could have gotten enough for all three drawers. Will go to Menard's for the drawer supplies.

Rather than do a bunch of glue ups of those expensive 1 x 10s.....I got enough glued up panels. Two panels for the sides, and a wider panel for the top. Will cut the topper down as needed. Picked out the best four 1 x 2s in the rack...again, spending 3x what Menard's would have cost. I also picked the best of the rack for a 1 x 3 x 6' for the face frame parts.

Plan now is to make four webframes. Sliding dovetails to connect them to the sides. Then add a face frame over the web frames. Kickers will be added to keep the drawers from tipping down.
May do a fancy cut out at the bottom of the side panels.....and set the height of the bottom of the bottom drawer. 7" rough openings for the three drawers. Then maybe 3" above the top of the top drawer?

1/4" Luann Plywood for the case's back, and the three drawer bottoms.

Will see how "Part 1" goes..Stay tuned

steven c newman
06-29-2018, 8:24 PM
Three glued up panels..
Skinny two for the sides, larger one will be the top...
Before I put all the toys away, anyone want to see what they can ID?

Last chance.......
Oh well...all set to do a bit of work. Need to get the mitersaw set out, to where I can cut the 1x2s down..
And swing it around to 90 degrees...the yellow case?
Need to track down where the missing ones are stashed....25 pc set looking a tad skimpy, right now

Need to haul the 1 x 2s to the shop, later, and start cutting them to size. Hopefully, I have enough of them.
Stay tuned....

steven c newman
06-30-2018, 9:15 AM
Hmmm...got to thinking....the panels for the sides are only 12" wide....3/4" x 12" x 36".....bit too tippy for a dresser. Will add a 3" wide strip to both side panels as a glue up. They can be set aside, while I build the web frames. May see what "trouble" I can get into, today......there may even be pictures, later :eek: Names may need to be changed, though....

So, another "Build Thread" is about to start...stay tuned....

steven c newman
06-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Stopped for a Lunch Break....
1 x 3 cut to length...
One piece glued up....
Other half glued up. Set both aside, start cutting 1 x 2s..
Needed eight piece @ 25" long....didn't leave a whole lot out of four 6' long boards..
Will need 8 pieces for the ends of the webframes....Hmmmknots may be a problem..
Figured out I needed 12-1/2" for the end pieces...gang cut the "best" of the rest..

Had to dig around, and find some scraps...long enough to make four other blanks...needed three, always nice to have an extra one.
Some needed a little work, to make them match for thickness, and at least one straight edge...
Then laid out for 1/2" long tenons..
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
06-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Laid out for the tenons..
Set the depth stops on the other mitersaw..
Made a few cuts...
Bandsaw to remove the waste..
Need to get out a few chisels, a saw, and the mallet..and clean the shop stool off..
Making sawdust? Had a big handful of these to throw out, too...
Made a mess.

Later, I can either go and buy a bit more lumber, or...chop 16 mortises...
Letting the two side panels sit a day, before I abuse them, again.....
Some of the longer cut-offs will have to stick around,,,,need them for the corner blocks I use, to attach the top with.

steven c newman
07-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Heat has been a problem for me.....but, I suppose I could meander to the shop, later today. Have 8 mortises to chop and fit. Then glue up four web frames. Once the glue is dried, I can gang all four up, and mill a sliding dovetail on them. later, when more lumber comes in, I can add the kickers to keep a drawer from tipping down when you open them up. Fun part will be making the sockets for the dovetails in the sides. Need to cut a rebate along the back edge of the side panels....to house the 1/4" thick plywood back.

After I get back from taking the Boss to the store...of course...stay tuned

steven c newman
07-01-2018, 6:48 PM
Quitting time for today was about 6pm....wasn't having a very good day....:mad:
I do have gloves fro working near sharp objects...
Like these....
Set up to do a few mortises..
Something like this..
Backsaw to make a couple cuts...
Mortise chisel to chop a hole at the far end..
Then pop the waste out..test fit..
Then mark to make sure they go together at glue-up time, so they go in the right hole..
Part two of today's misadventures coming right up...stay tuned

steven c newman
07-01-2018, 7:04 PM
Marked to show which part goes where..
Finally get one frame all ready for a glue up...
With this sort of frame, I add a pair of nails into each joint..
Old piece of iron, so that IF these 3/4" long nails are too long, the iron will turn the point over, and back into the wood...
Set aside, and do the next..
A few of those tenons needed shaved a bit, as they were too fat on one side....chin-powered chisel to remove..
Test for fit..
Noticed two of the first frames were twisting....decided to try and clamp them flat.....snap!

One tenon must have had a knot in it....tenon snapped right off.....NOT going to make a new part...got out a few other toys...
Pilot hole, Countersink, and a Phillips screwdriver....jack plane to make sure all the sides matched each other...
Went to all the corners, and added a 3" long #6 screw. Have to offset it a bit, as a 1/2" dovetail bit will be going along the edge....so it can slide into a sliding dovetail groove.

Bench is full of toys, I ran out of 3" screws....was getting a bit flustered......still have one more frame to build....Decided I had enough fun for today....

Once the fourth frame is done, I can gang all four together, and run the router around. Will need to dig out the edge guide for it. Then see about the matching grooves in the side panels...

Too bloody hot right now...stay tuned....

Andrew Pitonyak
07-02-2018, 12:01 AM
I always enjoy your build posts.... When I build something, I think about the pictures very late in the game, so you miss the building of the project. You do a great job with it.

steven c newman
07-02-2018, 6:23 PM
Keeps me out of the Taverns...

Picked up a box of 2-1/2" long screws ( no 3" ones were around..) after a couple Doctor office visits today.

Got frame #3 done. It is sitting clamped up to the first two. Screws are in place.

Got a start on frame #4....one long has both of it's mortises done. Then I just glued the ends in place. Clamped things right to the bench. Checked for square and lean.....one end was leaning a bit, added a caul to "un-lean" it. Waiting on the glue to dry a bit, before I sneak back to the shop.....Normally, the shop is closed on Mondays...with the deadline coming up....need to work through Mondays....18th July I have to be at the Heart center @ OSU.....

Might round up the parts for the router...and get it set up. Then I can route the sliding dovetails later this week...side panels need planed flat, first....may get out old No. 8 and see how it does.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Now have all four frames assembled..other than the kickers

Ganged the four up, evened all the sides up..mainly on the ends
After I had went and bought a new box of screws....found the old box of 3" screws....in plain sight, of course
Clamped this stack to the side of the bench..
And set up that corded object..
Needed a dovetail bit installed, and the fence..
So it could run along the stack..
First setting..
Outside edges done...move the fence a bit..
Second cuts. Center the bit for the last cut.
.https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=388962&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1530586626
(https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=388962&d=1530586626)This end is done. Will flip things over, and do the other end..tomorrow.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Have flipped the stack over...waiting for the sleepy-heads in the house to wake up...and the shop to cool down a bit.....and dry up a bit..Thunderstorm caused the Cellar Creek to go across the floor, again.

Hmmm..would that router guide fence be called a "Jig" , or a "Crosscut Sled"?

I have a few made jigs in the shop...one that holds parts for doing a mortise, needs rebuilt after 5 years of abuse. Another does all kinds of duties.....from guiding the circular saws, to guiding the routers across a panel, and has even been used on the bandsaw....just a wooden "speedsquare"..
Needs to be set according to how wide the router base is..
To get the cut where it is needed, usually I will also check for square
Just three pieces of scrap wood.
There is a cleat underneath..

Was originally designed as a replacement for a DeWalt Jobsite saw's rip fence.
No longer have the tablesaw....works good at guiding a circular saw....
Will need to get out a sabresaw, and cut some feet profiles....
Maybe like these....used on the Pine Stepback Cupboard project? We'll see...

steven c newman
07-03-2018, 7:08 PM
Trying to process 31 pictures,,into some sort of story...here goes...
Flipped the stack end for end....was in need of a little plane work..
Looks a bit better? Decided to reverse the order I cut the dovetails...
Since the fence was already out that far..center cut...
Then these two. Reset again..
And do the outside cuts. Then set this mess aside, for now..
Got both panels out of their clamps...
But, there was a problem..
Add-ons were a little thicker than the pre-made panel...we have ways..
Stanley No.8 Seems to do a decent enough job....more about this in the next episode

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-03-2018, 7:23 PM
Ok...got this side done...flipped the panel over...was a tab worse...and that No. 8 was getting heavy..
Switched over to a No. 7c and a No.4....Was a lot of knot caused tearout on one corner....have an idea for that, too
Got two scraps out, to "stand-in" for a webframe and it's kicker...
I marked this end "Top" and Inside....needed enough space above the frame to allow corner glue blocks...large square to mark the lay out lines...
Needed to lay out for 4 webframes...with 5" at the bottom for feet. Went with a 7" spacing for the 1 x 8 drawers..got to the bottom..
Hmmm, just missed that bad tear-out....Varnish can was the "jig" to lay out the curves...
Got out a couple "Vintage saws"
One is an older, all metal B&D, used it for the straight cuts...
And the Green Plastic B&D for the curves.
Fancy feet? Will fine-tune the one curve...can had a dent in it....hate when that happens..

Then got out the Speed Square..
More on that, in the next, exciting episode...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-03-2018, 7:36 PM
Ok, the Speed Square.....
To set it up, I needed to know how far "inland" the center of the dovetail bit was from the edge of the router's base...
I also needed a mark, showing the center of the socket I was going to mill..
Slide the Speed Square over to the marks....checked with a larger square..
Once this was all set up, and a pair of clamps attached to the entire mess....jig, panel, and bench
So nothing moves. Start up the router, and, pushing it against the jig..make the cut..
Pushed it through, then draw it back out, to clean the chips out....repeat for the next socket...
I can then turn the panel end for end, and come back the other way. As long as I measure from the center of the socket to where the edge of the router base will be, I can go in from either the front or back edge of the panel....first two were on the front edge.
Was getting a bit worn out, soaked clear through....decided to sweep the mess up..
And call it a day....Maybe tomorrow, I can hide out in the shop...will be way too hot to stick me nose outside, anyway. Might see about getting things a little further along?

Stay tuned....

David Eisenhauer
07-03-2018, 9:16 PM
No deadline pressure for a pro like you Steven C. Water off a duck's back. Hotter than the 7th Gate of Hell here too. Sweatin like Moses Malone in my shop.

steven c newman
07-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Waiting on BOTH eyeballs to wake up, this morning ( Happy Birthday, USA!) before I venture towards the shop....1st Breakfast (pills) has been done....will see about 2nd Breakfast in a bit.

A wee bit too early to run that router.....everyone else is sleeping in.

steven c newman
07-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Design stage for the face frame.....I do not want it to intrude into the openings for the drawers....yet allow the cross-members to be a 3/4" thickness....Hmmmm

I can stand the stiles on edge....do a round-over "inside" and "outside"....and maybe a bead down the center? I leave the rails flat, where they attach to the webframes.....then where they meet the stile, maybe a dovetail? Face frame will be out of 1 x 2s.....except at the top and bottom.....fancy cuts on the bottom rail, leaves a 2" "foot".....will need a 1 x 3..or a 1 x 4 for the two. Three thicknesses of 1x2...will rip down the 1x4.....Should be able to use a 1 x 4 x48" to do both. Maybe a couple 1 x 2 x 6' for the rest.....and and extra one for the kickers...unless I have enough scraps for them.

Drawer fronts will use a through dovetail. And will be flush with the rails when closed. Round wooden knobs, 2 per drawer. Glue and screws to install the knobs.

May get a can of Golden Oak stain.....then a coat of Poly Gloss....still working on the top's design....Top panel is 3/4" x 16" x 48".....a bit too long....may cut it to size ( ~ 30"?) and used the left-over as stock for the kickers? Would save a few pennies, that way. Kickers need to be around 14-1/2" long....

Next PayDay is right before the "deadline"... may have to put this on hold for a few days.....depending on how I heal up....stay tuned...will update as things turn out.

steven c newman
07-04-2018, 9:16 PM
Ok...back to work...Got the last two sockets done on Side #1

I needed the light, camera hates it. Set this panel into the leg vise..
Set up the Ward's #78..
Used a piece of 1/4" plywood to set the depth...wanted the rebate to cover the sockets a hair...
Once this fit...I can set this panel aside...and flatten side 2
#4 was for clean up...used a cambered jack in a couple spots, and the #7 and the #8....mainly the 7....Set side #1 onto the flattened #2
Have some trimming to do....marked this end for a circular saw cut..
Speed Square is also very good at guiding saws...
Moved the side around...had feet to mill..
I also marked where the sockets were...then milled those....then milled a rebate along the back edge to match side #1
Left both sides clamped together..until tomorrow. I can fit the top for length.....and resaw the cut-off from the top, to make kickers...then MAYBE a bit of assembly work?
Stay tuned....fighting crampy legs, right now....may have been a tad too warm?

steven c newman
07-05-2018, 8:05 PM
What is with the pictures? I uploaded the same as always....or, am I the only one seeing " Attachment ( number)" instead of the photo?

try this again.....Power-outage today...put a crimp in any work being done in the shop. Managed to do a dry fit...AFTER the power came back on

Had two frames that needed the dovetail pins trimmed a bit.....both were too fat....Measured for the length the top needs to be...27-1/2"

IF the floor will dry out, I can set the case on the floor, and work on over items....Have to get a 1/4" x 48 x 48 plywood panel....those 2'x 4' ones are a little too narrow for the back panel...once the back panel is cut to size....I can assemble the case....them work on a face frame. and three drawers....

Getting old...where IS the picture?

steven c newman
07-06-2018, 2:34 PM
Will try to get the case glued up...have a "stand-in" for the plywood back.....need that to make sure the case is clamped up square....May work on getting the top cut to size, and the kickers cut and installed....

Next PayDay will be right before the "deadline"....doubt if I can do a whole lot more on this..until after I am cleared to go back to "normal" activities....

Now have the parts needed to repair the bandsaw....the new-in-bag shaft arrived today....again..this will have to wait awhile....that 1/2hp motor weighs more than a Fat Man's Lunch..LOL..need a better pair of snapring pliers, and a new cord for the motor......will just have to wait...

Sooo, IF I can get a little more done..I will post as I go along....stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-07-2018, 10:24 PM
OK...hauled a few things down to the shop today...clamps were rounded up..
1/2 of them..
More of them...Cut the panel for the top of the chest to length..
Set it aside, and cut the leftover into strips, on the bandsaw..
Then trimmed those to length (5 of the six, anyway)..
used the Stanley #2246 mitre box for these...got out a couple drills..
Pilot hole drill, countersink drill, and the 1" screws I'll use to attach the strips to the undersides of the frames....with a dab of glue. These will be the kickers, that keep the drawer from tipping down, when you slide it out. Got a start on the corner blocks..
Starting to get warm down here...
Sabresaw to cut the corners on the top. Cap from a paint can to mark the radius..
Figured out WHY it was getting too warm in the shop.....fan was still sitting upstairs.....closed the shop, swept up the sawdust, and headed for the room A/C unit...

Stay tuned. Could use a couple extra hands tomorrow...have the assembly to do.....15 clamps needed to be applied...at once....hard to do with just 2 hands..LOL..

steven c newman
07-08-2018, 3:38 PM
Well..wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.....was a "pic-nic", either. Had to slide the loose side off the frames....install the kickers with glue and screws....apply the glue...then try to slide the side back into place.....then add a few clamps.....started at the bottom of the case....once a couple pipe clamps were in place...I could place the case on the flattest part of the shop's floor....and add a few more clamps..
Tried to keep the LONG ends to one side..takes up less room that way...
Kickers do not have to be exactly centered...merely close. Bottom two are more to attach the bottom rail of the face frame with...and give it a bit of support...
And these are the corner blocks. I'll add a slot for the screw, and attach the top to these. Same toys to drill the holes..
Yes..I did indeed bring that fan back into the shop...set on "HIGH", of course
Turned the assembly around...this thing is heavy! And placed it out of the way...for a day or two..
Still have two pipe clamps left, too....time for a cold one...maybe later this evening, I can work on cleaning a new saw?

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-10-2018, 9:36 AM
May remove the clamps today.....might try to attach the top. Then, until the rest of the lumber arrives....will take a break..

First, I need to put these two saws away..
Disston D-112 in front, Disston D-100 behind it....may drag out the Disston D-8, 10ppi that matches...for a family photo?

have two of the D-8, 10ppi....20" and 26" set.

steven c newman
07-10-2018, 3:19 PM
Ok... can't do much, until the lumber arrives, but....
Pipe clamps have been removed, and stashed out of the way..
Same with the C clamps. Drilled four holes..
Then, rock the drill back and forth..
Hey...it IS a Vintage drill, ok? Something I learned from Norm....make a slot to attach a top to a case..
Allows the top to expand, or contract. Set the top onto the bench..."best" side down...was a bit of debate on that one....
2" screws were a tad too long. Grinder and a pair of visegrips, and a cup of water....screws are now 1/8" shorter, so they won't poke through the top ( hate when that happens)
So...unless the lumber or some other project shows up wanting to use the bench..
I do have a bit of leftover plywood....will trim it to size, when I build the drawers..
First, I need to attach a back, and build the face frame...before I can start on drawers...
Stay tuned...looks like Friday before the lumber can be bought...

steven c newman
07-12-2018, 8:43 AM
Had thought about rebuilding the bandsaw....discovered that will have to wait, as well....motor seems to be working again, starts right up. More of getting a few parts, like a pulley to fit the new motor, a cord for the new motor, and maybe some new snap rings. Had an issue with the drive/lower wheel being loose on the shaft.....finally got it back to where things will run. May try after the dresser gets built..if there is anytime. About a week to go...

We'll see how things go......

steven c newman
07-12-2018, 3:16 PM
Priced a new pulley today....depending on diameter....$11.99 up to $16.99. May get a three prong cord, like an "Outdoor" extension cord, and cut off what I don't need. Will see about new snap rings, later.

When I do through dovetails, it is easier for me to cut the tails on the bandsaw, then chop out the waste. I do pins first, anyway. All I need to do is cut on the waste side of the lines, leaving most of the lines, to cut the tails. A few extra straight cuts in the waste, to help with the chisel work.

May or may not use the Stanley 45 for dado work...I will use it for the grooves to house the drawer bottoms. May give the Stanley #39 3/8" a try, again. Mitre box to cut the dado's walls, then the 39 to remove the waste.

Saturday looks like the "shopping day" for the shop...stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-14-2018, 6:46 PM
Well..that was exciting...spent half the night in the ER.....Mother of all Migraines had hit. Hands are still a bit numb....at least I can see a bit better....

Got some lumber from Menard's today....they don't carry 1/4" x 4' x 4' Luann plywood....the two types they do carry, are over $13!!! Will go back to Lowes for the plywood...tomorrow.

I can at least get the face frame done..and then start on the drawers...have a drawer bottom for one, at least.

Both arms got shots into them....all of them hurt. Been spending most of yesterday and today sleeping it off...or trying to ( why the trip to the ER)...maybe tomorrow, I'll feel a bit better..

steven c newman
07-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Head is still spinning around.....May have to wait a while, yet. Either the Migraine was also a TIA, or what the ER people shot me up with.....things are still not right....

Will see how today goes....

steven c newman
07-15-2018, 5:14 PM
I stayed away from sharp chisels today....used one handplane....everything else was either the miter box or a drill of some sort....managed to get a part of the back panel installed...waiting on the brain to float back here, before I try again with the sabresaw..
Nothing Fancy about the face frame...just 6 sticks, glued and screwed in place.. with counter bores so I can plug the holes....later..
Nothing fancy....dealing with a 9 yr old....when he outgrows this one, I'll build him a better one.
I don't install back panels all the way to the floor....carpet tends to tear it up. I will get the top section closed in...as soon as I can haul the board to the shop.
Will plug all those counter bores with matching pine plugs....and, NO. you will not see a trace of end grain in any of the plugs.
BTW...anyone know a good use for this little clamp, now that I have it all cleaned up...
Not all that big, either...

steven c newman
07-15-2018, 8:09 PM
OK...doing a little bit at a time....then have to rest a spell....hopefully I can work more than sit..later.

Back is now completed on the dresser
Top drawer area needed wider runners for the drawer to slide on.....couple of piece of scrap and a few screws...
All sides also got a guide to guide the drawer along.
They do not have to go all the way to the back....just enough to guide the drawer.
So..next step for the case, itself...plugs to cover the screw holes. Oh, and...build 3 drawers. Figures...glue bottle had just run out, too....
I'll dig out that Veritas plug cutter ( AND I LOVE IT!!) and cutter a few dozen plugs out Pine...

Stay tuned.....( "Ground Control to Major....)

steven c newman
07-16-2018, 9:26 AM
Monday.....Doctor visit....Boss has a road trip to do....I need a bottle of glue before too much else gets done....may look for some handles for the drawers.

Normally, the shop is closed on a Monday.....haven't the time for that right now....Will see about getting a drawer done today....and go from there...

steven c newman
07-16-2018, 3:38 PM
Monday-itis struck hard today..
Van is in another town, can not keep antifreeze in it.....runs out as fast as I put some in....
Was going to get the Blood count done this morning...had to sit and wait....others ahead of me, for the first time...
Now have no way to go to the store, and buy supplies for the shop....unless I walk 2 miles each way...
Can't work in the shop, today....thanks to a "Gulley-washer" rolling by...there are a couple creeks going through the shop....

Hitched a ride home....same storm followed us to the house....ankle deep puddles to run through..

NOT a "good" day, today. Afraid to even touch anything sharp....one of those days......:mad::mad::mad:

steven c newman
07-17-2018, 8:02 PM
OK, back to the shop..all day long...other than a 5 block walk to and from the Lung Doctor's office...50 photos, needed to be processed down to something usable on here....couple of them were deleted...

So..going to break this down a bit....maybe hit just the high points? Started out making plugs...lots of plugs..
Plug cutter ate a couple....needed 29, and a couple extras....had to throw out one, had a knot in it....
Screwdriver to pop a plug out. Coat the narrow end with glue, and hammer each home....keeping an eye on the grain..
Got the entire piece plugged up..
Spent a little time, bringing a 1 x 8 x 8' plank down to the shop, while the glue set up....
Hammer and a chisel, to trim each plug flush, working from the oldest to the last plug. A little sanding, before I set the case on the floor..
How well did the plugs blend in?
Look right in front of the chisel......
Circular saw to cut the plank down into four parts.....had to plane the ends square.
This will be the front of the drawer....stay tuned....more fun and games coming right up...

steven c newman
07-17-2018, 8:14 PM
Ok, that last picture....I needed to rip a bit off one edge, so the blank would fit in the drawer opening..
Took a few extra swipes with the jack plane, to get it to fit. Same with the two sides, and the back.....
Got these to fit..at least the two sides..
As for any "leftovers" from the plank?
There was a fourth one...but it is already in the trash can..
Decided to set this up, and use it on the blank for the front, before the dovetails get started..
Then I can lay out the pins.
I do pins first. Bevel square is set to the angle to be used.
Trying out another dovetail saw....cuts nice..but that boxy handle hurts the hand...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-17-2018, 8:24 PM
Yep, cuts nice..
Nice part about this sort of work..I can sit down all day..
Ok, clamp the board to the bench, and chop a bit..
Then flip this over, and finish the chops.....transfer the lines to the other end of the board....saw the lines, chop the waste...and
Both ends of the front of the drawer are done...Use the pins to lay out the tails...
Make a few saw cuts....first set was on the bandsaw..before it broke down, second set was by handsaw..
Chop 1/2 way, flip over, and finish the chop, dry fit?
then repeat for the other side of the drawer...
Then run the Stanley #45 to plough the grooves for the bottom.
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-17-2018, 8:35 PM
Ok, once the grooves were done, then I had a dado to mill..
Langdon 75 to cut the side walls. I WAS going to use that chisel, but found a better toy..
Stanley #39 3/8". I can go along both walls, as the dado is 3/4" wide...depth stop is 3/8". Once both dados were milled, a couple holes were drilled and counter sunk
These are to hold the back in place. I had to size the plywood panel for the bottom of the drawer.
Spread some glue, with a brush....added a few clamps....then a diagonal clamp to set things square..
And checked with a square..
Will let this sit til morning. Then fit it to the drawer opening, and add a pair of knobs. Then repeat the entire show for two more drawers.

We'll see how things turn out....stay tuned

steven c newman
07-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Need to haul the other two planks to the shop, today. Will try to get Drawer #1 cleaned up, fitted to the opening, and the knobs installed...

Will have to cut around a "Knot Farm" in the one plank....may use it for the sides and the backs, if there is enough space between the big knots.

Need to get motivated and out of this chair...first.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-18-2018, 1:43 PM
Made a mess on the floor...couple of times...still has a sticky spot right before it closes all the way
tried a bit of wax, to make things slide a bit better.
This was after I ran a saw for a while...cutting the "best parts" out of the other two planks...left a bunch of...scrap
The one under these..
yeah....I can work around what is left..
Some will be ripped off, when I cut these for width. Trying to decide which edge treatment to do..
We'll see. Lumber was cut, using a vintage saw...of sorts..
Been giving it a workout, lately.
Same with these sort of things..

Taking a break, for a few...if it cools off later, I may start in on Drawer #2....
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Got it started....maybe able to finish Drawer #2 tomorrow

Had to plane the drawer front for width, to match the opening...
Took a while...noted the ends weren't square...tried the plane routine...
Meh...went over to Old Reliable and cut the ends square..
Takes a while to cut a 1 x 8...but at least it is square, jig for the Stanley 45 again..
And there be a Pitch Pocket....will clean it out, and fill it in. laid out the pins...this time there were a couple extra
Old No. 4 backsaw to cut the lines..
Then a mallet and some chisels to chop the waste...1/2 way from one face, then flip over and do the rest
Drawer's front panel is now done. Used the pins on one end, to lay out the tails....used to use the bandsaw to saw tails...
Bandsaw is down. Have to use this saw. Chopped the waste, from both sides...and did a dry fit

steven c newman
07-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Bandsaw?
May be this weekend, I can tear it all down, and rebuild it. Right now it is merely in the way.

Oh, and that dry fit?
May need a little fine tuning...pays to leave the lines.
Arms are sore. Had to reschedule the heart appointments....no transportation. Looks like I can get this "Chester Drawers" done, after all.
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-19-2018, 1:50 PM
Well, turned out the Drawer #1 liked the #2 spot better..
So, the second drawer built will go at the top, instead,,,
Have the parts for the third drawer about ready to be worked on..this evening (again) as Top Drawer is now in the clamps..
Had an issue with one knot...
Dado needed to go through it...was a bit rough on the Stanley #39 3/8"
Clamp to pull things square, again..
And laid out the knobs for when the clamps come off.

I even swept the stairway to the shop this morning:eek:
Gave a panel saw a try out as well....mitre box didn't quite cut deep enough for the dado....
To chase the sawcuts a bit deeper , until they were level across the dado.
Letting the glue cure a while....will check after Supper, and maybe start on the last drawer.

New Appointments are for the 7th and 8th of August....then back home on the 9th..SHOULD have the van back, by then.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-19-2018, 10:09 PM
Drawer is out of the clamps, now.
These things have been flushed down.....
Looks better?

Handles were installed, after I had laid the locations out..
Drawer was test fitted..
Something didn't look quite right...
Hmmm...had a 1/8" or so thick strip of pine scrap.....cut two pieces to length, glue and a few nails to attach the "filler" to the sides of the opening..NOT the side of the drawer..
Will do for a fix. Got the last drawer front fitted..
But all I have left is two pieces for the sides..
And one of them has a bullet in it..
I can but a short piece of pine, to make a back for the drawer....Until then, I can do the dovetails for the last drawer.

Think that will do, for one day.....stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-19-2018, 10:11 PM
BTW...who shot that tree?
A little bigger than a .22, and is a metal jacket round.

steven c newman
07-20-2018, 7:10 PM
Well, until I get the board to make the back of the drawer...about all I can do today is just just these things..
Got both ends done..
Drawer front does have a groove for the bottom panel to sit in..
And a test fit was tried out..
Need to get a back made, and install the bottom and the knobs....and maybe do a glue up..one more time. Groove in the sides need done, and a dado milled...as soon as I find out how thick the back will be.

Staying tuned?

steven c newman
07-21-2018, 2:49 PM
Supplies have been bought....just need to motivate towards the shop.....maybe later today a glue up WILL happen...

steven c newman
07-21-2018, 6:30 PM
Dropping way back here....was getting a bit long-winded....talking to meself....

Board for the back of the last drawer is in the shop..

$6.53 for a 1 x 8 x 24" chunk of Poplar? Maybe I should have it framed, instead?

Needed two cuts made. crosscut for length, then a rip cut....once that was done....I could knock the front and two sides apart....mill a groove for the bottom
Then build a new jig..
Set the Stanley 45 up as a dado plane, since the grooves were done..
Drill a few pilot holes and countersink then....then cut the plywood panel to size for a bottom...spread some glue around, add some clamps..
Then pull things square, and add screws to the bottom panel at the back
Will let this sit awhile...later will remove the clamps, clean up the glue joints, and install the knobs....
I also picked up a pulley for the bandsaw's motor...2-1/2" die cast, 1/2" bore, no keyway. $11. So..NOW I have all the new parts needed, just need to get the drsser out of the shop, so I will have enough room to rebuild the bandsaw ( anyone want to come over and help out?) No van, as of yet..still in the shop.

Stay tuned..some day my luck might change...

steven c newman
07-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Ok...drawer is out of the clamps, cleaned up and the knobs installed....

Ran that router around..
Then sanded all these spots smooth. Since we are letting my Daughter decide what flavour the finish will be....time for a PIP
As the woodworking part is done..
Supposed to be for my 9 yr old Grandson...aka GrandBRAT. Maybe he won't just toss his clothes all over the floor of his room..now.

May post as a project.....thanks for following along.

steven c newman
07-23-2018, 2:48 PM
Have recieved "guidance" about flavour she wants..

Can of Rustoleum "Kona" stain...then a coat of Poly Gloss. getting ready to apply the stain in a bit....update when done...

steven c newman
07-23-2018, 5:05 PM
Hmmmm...
Hmmmm.....
Waiting to see how this stuff dries....then a coat or two of varnish...

Knobs, back of the case, and the sides of the drawers were NOT stained...knobs will get a coat or two of varnish, though.

IF I ever use this stuff again..
It WILL get thinned down by at least half....IF I ever do use it again.
Stay tuned....will up-date after the varnish...

steven c newman
07-24-2018, 1:29 PM
Do NOT, I repeat..Do NOT ever use this s.....tuff ever. Barely dries....bleeds into the varnish.....

Even MinWax is light-years better.

steven c newman
07-24-2018, 7:28 PM
OK...Final look at how this turned out.....sending it to it's new home after this..
Already has some "Wear & Tear" markings....which she also likes..
Managed to get a bit of shine to the top..
Just a Pine Chest of Drawers......might even last a bit longer than those from Ikea?

Thanks for looking in.

Richard Hutchings
07-25-2018, 8:45 AM
Nice outcome. I like the wear marks as well.

Stew Denton
08-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Steven,

I usually follow your builds, but somehow lost track of this one.

Seeing Ken's post about the chair for his grandkids jogged my memory about this build, so of course had to go back, find it. Thus, I got to read and enjoy the rest of the build. Good Job! Also a very practical build.
]
You too are also a good grandpa!

Stew