PDA

View Full Version : Pony 3/4" bar clamps cost more, are they worth it?

Don Morris
06-22-2018, 7:23 PM
I have always loved my Pony 3/4" bar clamps. Some I've had in use for over 20 years, with little to no complaints on my part. I came up with an idea to use a pair on something not related to woodworking, so I went on-line to see what Amazon was selling them for. I've seen a few other brands advertised in FFW, etc, but the number of them was really surprising. Had to go several pages before I got to Pony. Discovered the price for a set of 3/4" Pony bar clamps was significantly higher than most of the others. And they're now all made in China. Are they still worth the price, or have some of the other brands caught up and they're living on reputation. Input please. Thanks!

Ted Reischl
06-22-2018, 8:09 PM
There is "made in china" and then there is "made in china". There are A factories, B factories, C factories. The good factories that make good stuff for the US are overseen closely by their US counterparts. So, if they are using good material, doing proper quality control, etc their price is not going to be able to compete with stuff that comes from B and C companies. But to me? If it clamps the parts, does not jam, or fall apart that is all I am after. I am not planning on sleeping with my clamps.

Simon MacGowen
06-22-2018, 8:30 PM
https://www.buyponytools.com/

Cheaper to buy there?

Simon