PDA

View Full Version : Adding variable speed to Delta SS200 Shopmaster 16-Inch Bench Top Scroll Saw

tom suica
06-22-2018, 2:44 AM
Sorry if/for the/this is an ignorant question. I am sure with hours more of research I could probably figure it out. Who what where and how do I add variable speed to this saw? Is it a simple matter of adding an inline dimmer switch? Sorry if that is a dumb idea or would not work. Let me know It is a single phse motor.. Is it a matter of adding a potentimeter in line after the run capacitor? 1/10 hp 60 hz 1.8a 1750 rps which is running like a banshee.

Is it a matter of using multiple run capacitors? Lower uF rating? the one that is on it right now is a 10uF and was replaced after it died with same thing that as on there I cannot be sure it was original. Now the motor is staying coo and running with hella power.

I have been looking for some reading about how to match a capacitor to a motor. or how to choose a cap that may run the motor at a slower speed but still have power not heat it up too much. I am not sure the 10uF cap is original I am pretty sure though. let me know some thoughts.

tom suica
06-22-2018, 3:19 AM
After more reading is there a formula for charting motor speed uf rating approx cooling requirement run speed ect or a formula for choosing caps lets say if I did not know what kind of cap came with my motor?

tom suica
06-22-2018, 3:20 AM
Buy an Excalibur Tom right?

Lee Schierer
06-22-2018, 6:55 PM
Tom, I am not familiar with what type of motor your saw has. Typically a motor that has brushes is easy to control the speed with a dimmer or better still a router speed control. Other types, not so much.

tom suica
06-23-2018, 2:09 PM
So no, it is an AC induction motor 1 phase motor. It had a bad capicitor and I changed it with oem spec cap. Howver it still runs way to darn fast. Where and how do I match the uF rating with the motor and I can probably y=mx plus B chart that scale and use a uF rating that still is close to optimal performance but slower speed.