PDA

View Full Version : Raw Recruit lost but now found (hopefully)

Rick Smith
11-20-2005, 4:57 PM
Posted my first message this morning... in the wrong place. Having been kindly directed here by Mr. Stevener (Thanks!), I am trying this again. I have turned a total of 8 "projects", as well as made the neighbor's hamsters VERY happy with shavings and such. My twin brother, Ron (Creek member Ron Smith - Richmond, Va) has me infected with the turning bug. My photography is about as good as my turning, so please forgive. The pens are ash, Yellowstone pine, and cocobolo. The pencil and the letter opener are from a Banksia Nut (as are the stiches in my finger...). ANY constructive criticism is welcome...

Carl Eyman
11-20-2005, 5:07 PM
Welcome, Rick. I'm not a turner; so no criticism, but someome else is bound to show up. You'll enjoy it here. As a famous Louisiana character used to say "We are glad you could meet us"

Tyler Howell
11-20-2005, 7:41 PM
Welcome Rick,
Got some nice stuff there.:cool:
Glad to have you in the creek!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2005, 8:05 PM
Welcome to the Creek Rick! Looks like you've got the bug! Nice projects!

Bob Noles
11-20-2005, 8:11 PM
Rick,

I am not a turner (yet) but sure looks like I am heading in that direction. Want to welcome you to the creek where you will find some of the nicest people in the world.

Thanks for sharing some of your beautiful work with us.

John Nicholas
11-20-2005, 8:35 PM
neighbor's hamsters VERY happy with shavings and such. My twin brother, Ron (Creek member Ron Smith - Richmond, Va) has me infected with the turning bug.

Rick, Glad you are here! :) You might watch the shavings and animals. Walnut can cause issues as other exotics. Check out this website:
http://www.awwg.org/awg_woodtoxicity.htm

Eagle, ID caught my eye. I used to go through there from Weiser or Emmett to Grandma's in Boise. Back then it was a Flying A station and a sign saying unincorporated. :D

Keep posting.

John

Bill Stevener
11-20-2005, 9:30 PM
Hi Rick,
Glad you maid it, and welcome again. I thought at first, you posted where you did was because you were looking for a little more support, I think your brother is still over there looking for you.
Anyhoo, your work is off to a good start. You have found the place man. Nice to have you,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
11-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Me too Rick....Graduated from Mountain Home High School and went to Boise State U before heading to the Navy. Been to Eagle many times (I was also a disk jockey at KBBK-FM. Nice turnings...We'll have to work on that focus a little!:)

Welcome to the Creek!!

John Miliunas
11-20-2005, 10:24 PM
A BIG and warm welcome to the Creek, Rick! As your bro probably already told you, this is a pretty neat place to hang out. And I see he already warned you about the Picture Police!:D Nice job on all your turnings! Those things can be downright addictive! Have fun and, as John H. said, work on that focus a bit and you'll have it made!:) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
11-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Welcome Rick. Nothin wrong with those turnings. Good job.

Ernie