PDA

View Full Version : wooden plane identification

Alex Liebert
06-21-2018, 6:22 PM
I bought a lot of furniture at an estate estate sale today. Throughout the house there was some evidence of hand made wood items, so I checked the garage- but very limited tools. The sale manager gave me these two planes "free" / to close the deal on the furniture lot:

I know next to nothing about wooden planes at this point. No markings of any kind, except for the "48" and "30" shown on the backs of each.

What have I got here? Not sure I'm ready to go down the wood plane road, but are these of any value / quality to a wood plane user?

Bill Houghton
06-21-2018, 7:07 PM
Continental, probably German, planes. Some people like them a lot. The one with the "horn" might be a jack or a smoother - show us a pic of the sole, with detail on the mouth opening (more open = jack, less so = smoother).

The other's a basic rabbet plane. I can't tell from the picture if it's straight across or skewed.

Alex Liebert
06-21-2018, 7:22 PM
Thanks Bill. The bench plane has to be a scrub because it has the biggest mouth I've ever seen. I'll probably make use of the rabbet plane at some point.

Condition looks quite good, very little wear on the sole.

Construction quality looks good to me.

I guess what I'm asking is, since there's not a single maker's mark, if I give the bench plane away free or cheap that it's not something of high collector or user value. Ideally I'd want to trade it with someone for any of the number of other tools I'm more interested in at the moment.

John Schtrumpf
06-21-2018, 9:55 PM
Blade widths are probably 48mm and 30mm (the stamped numbers).

Stewie Simpson
06-22-2018, 12:12 AM
Iron is too wide to be a genuine scrub plane, Jack plane would be my guess. The hornbeam laminated sole suggest its made to a high standard.

Kees Heiden
06-22-2018, 1:13 AM
It looks like a nice plane but there is no collectors value. These are not rare at all and they are not as valued as a Stanley for example.

Jim Koepke
06-22-2018, 1:30 AM
The rabbet plane might be worth keeping and using. They both look like the owner took care of them.

jtk

Andrew Seemann
06-22-2018, 1:42 AM
They kind of look like generic versions of ECE planes. As long as the blades are good they should make good additions to your or someone else's collection. I have an American version of the rabbet plane. I don't use it often, but it is quite handy when you need it.

Philipp Jaindl
06-22-2018, 6:56 AM
If they were ECE or Ulmia they'd have an inset Plaque, i think they could be Johann Weiss & Sohn (Vienna) those later on only had Stickers or Stamps no real marks. They are the most common Planes here in Austria i have 5 or 6 of them but all older, though i have used newer ones at work.

If you learn to set them up properly they are fantastic users (if the irons good) alot lighter than the Metal planes going by feel also less Friction, give them a good Trial run to see if you like them or not, personally i love them really simple tools that just work.