PDA

View Full Version : Festool TS 55 or ATF 55 E

Eric Porter
11-20-2005, 3:07 PM
Since there have been several Festool related posts in the past few days, I wanted to ask my question while everyone still had their Festool hats on. Like Tim Armstrong I have found a dealer, actually a couple, with a few ATF 55 saws in stock at the closeout price of $325. However, with the TS 55 coming out soon at the introductory price of only $395 I can't decide which saw to purchase.

I plan on using this saw primarily to cut sheet goods to size without having to take them to the table saw. As others have noted I think this will go a long way toward improving my marriage as it will allow me to cut sheet goods by myself, without having to ask the LOML to help me wrestle them across the table saw. All that being said, the bottom line is that with tax and the "Test Drive" rebate the new TS 55 is $389.75 while I can get the ATF 55 E for $316.25 or a savings of $73.50. I would love to save the money, but let's face it I am still talking about spending over $300 on a circular saw.

I did read over the comparison of the two saws from the link on Bob Marino's site (Thanks, Bob) and there are several new features that I would enjoy (larger scales, rotating dust port, extra motor bearing, and tool-less guide rail adjustment) but I am not sure if it worth an extra $73. I have heard such rave reviews about the ATF 55 E that I question whether these improvements are that big a deal. The biggest negative of the ATF 55 E is that Bob is already sold out, so I can't support him if I decide to purchase it.

So, I would like to hear from owners of the ATF 55 E, or soon-to-be owners of the TS 55 about why or why I should not spend the extra money on the TS 55.

Thanks,
Eric

Gary Curtis
11-20-2005, 4:07 PM
I'm waiting to buy one myself. A gentleman in our woodworking club is a Festool dealer out here in Southern Calif.

He telephoned the other night. Bad news Gary, he said. No more of the old 55 models available anywhere. Before I tell you the rest, let me say that I trust this fellow's integrity.

He located one old 55cm saw, used only in a demonstration by Festool. He still tried to interest me in the new model 55. Because it has a 3-bearing motor and other improved features. It also costs $450. I trust his enthusiasm for this more expensive item.

But I'm broke. I've layed more than $10k for tools this year. I asked him why I shouldn't just get the 7-inch model with the new motor for that kind of money. He really tried to push the idea of the new 55 cm. I told him I'd be doing a fair amount of finish carpentry on my new home, but he still favored the 55. Said I couldn't cut through a 4x4 with either of them anyway.

Just reporting what I heard. It will be tough to find enough cash to get any of these. Four individuals who own the Festool plunge saw say it's the best tool in their kit. By the way, this is for hobby woodworking. I'm not a professional.

Gary Curtis:rolleyes:

Tim Armstrong
11-20-2005, 4:20 PM
Hi Eric - as you might guess, I struggled with the same question when I ordered mine last weekend. For what it's worth, I decided to get the ATF 55 and save the $70 because... you have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

For me, I try to draw the line by asking the question - for my needs, as a hobbiest opposed to a professional, is this the best bang for the buck? That still leaves me in some muddy waters but for this decision, the new features looks great and if I were a professional, I would opt for the TS, but for my needs, it wasn't worth the extra money.

For almost every tool purchase, there is a next level up or a newer version; it's hard, but I find I have to draw a line. And $70 is still $70, right? And while I couldn't get that one from Bob Marino (he was sold out), I promise all my future Festool purchases will go his way... and I'm 'hooked'. :D

Good luck - you'll get a fantastic saw/system for a great price either way.

Dave Falkenstein
11-20-2005, 4:42 PM
I have had the ATF55 for about a year. The saw (and guide rail system) works exceptionally well cutting up 4X8 panels accurately. The answer to which one to buy is tough. For $70 or so, that's not too big a difference for the new features. I get along just fine without the new features. So there - I've helped you - right? I'm lucky - I did not have this choice when I bought mine. Smile.

Frank Pellow
11-20-2005, 5:07 PM
I own the ATF 55 and love it. The TS 55 definately has some features I would like and it's a toss up whether or not I would pay an extra $70 for them. One minute I would and the next I wouldn't.

I did have a similar situation when I purchased my Festool jig saw. The new at the time Trion jig saw had lots of great new features that the old PS2 did not have. But, I could get the old PS2 saw for $90 (US) less than the new one and that is what I did. I don't regret that decision.

Gary Curtis
11-20-2005, 5:38 PM
Not owning this equipment, the features of old vs new escape me. But the Festool dealer in my woodworking club did say this.

Festool has changed from universal motors to induction. The latter are similar to the 220 v and higher big motors used on machinery. Much simpler, and significantly more durable.

He was speaking specifically about the new line of drills and routers, but I think he meant all new products. Check on this, as I'm not sure. But having an induction motor might swing your decision one way or t'other. Bearings? Ha! We don't need no 3 steengkeeng bearings! Ha.

Gary Curtis

James Biddle
11-20-2005, 6:28 PM
I struggled with the decision too. Although, I was under the impression that the TS wouldn't be delivered until Jan and not qualify for the rebate, making the difference $96 (this right?). I had a chance to put my hands on a TS the other day. It's definitely got some nice added features; the removable cord, the tool-less guide adjustment, the better markings for depth adjustment, etc., not to mention the features I couldn't see. I didn't see spending the extra money for the new model. That said, I WOULD have spent the money if there were no more of the old model. Let's face it, the old model is fantastic and given many woodworkers years of great service without a problem. The upgrades are impressive, but the old model is still better than anything out there IMHO. Does anyone believe they'll get a better cut or longer life out of the new one?

Ian Barley
11-20-2005, 6:35 PM
I do not have and have never used the ATF55 but the TS55 is a thing of great beauty. Trust me - when you have used it a couple of times you will love it so much that the $75 odd will evaporate from your memory. I hated handling sheet goods before - now its a joy. And before anybody asks - I have no commercial interest in the outcome in any way shape or form - just feel that once in a while everybody should experience the joy of a no compromise product.

You will use this thing many times in your life and the pleasure of ownership will remain when the pain of purchase is long forgotten.

Peter Pedisich
11-20-2005, 7:14 PM
Eric,

If I were you I'd get the TS55 from Bob M. It's worth the difference. And Bob will take care of you.

Back in August I was trying to decide whether I should get the ATF55 on sale or wait for the TS55 and decided my projects could'nt wait so I got the ATF55. I'm embarassed to say I have not used it once!:o That's life.
Expect the unexpected.

If the difference was $150 I'd say try to get an ATF, but as Ian correctly pointed out the $70 will evaporate from your memory soon enough.

Good luck,

Pete

Frank Pellow
11-20-2005, 8:31 PM
I do not have and have never used the ATF55 but the TS55 is a thing of great beauty. Trust me - when you have used it a couple of times you will love it so much that the $75 odd will evaporate from your memory. I...
But Ian, you would probably also have considered the ATF 55 to be "a thing of great beauty" had you owned one.

Scott Parks
11-20-2005, 9:07 PM
The ATF 55 is great. I BET the TS is even better! Put it this way, I'd love to have the TS just for the adjustable dust chute. The negative to the ATF is where the cord and dust port are located. They cause the hose and/or cord to hang up on the guide rail. THis can be solved by purchasing the guide to attatch to the guide rail, I don't recall how much $ it is. But spending $70 more for a top notch saw with a few more features.... Priceless. You'll soon forget that it was more $. Besides, it's likely you won't find one anyway. One other great feature of the TS is the spring loaded riving knife. If I understand correctly, you don't have to remove the knife to make plunge cuts. I really love my ATF, but I think the TS is going to be way cooler!:cool::cool:

Eric Porter
11-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the great comments guys, but you're not making my decision any easier. Based on everyone's input it sounds like I will be happy either way. However, it sounds like some of you would pay the additional amount for the TS 55, in order to get the improved dust port, and spring loaded riving knife. And don't let me forget if I go with the TS 55 then I will get the opportunity to purchase from Bob Marino.

Eric

Phil Winn
11-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Eric,
Buy the TS55-I think that you will be happier with it.
Phil Winn DMD MD

Rick Christopherson
11-21-2005, 1:22 AM
Festool has changed from universal motors to induction. ....He was speaking specifically about the new line of drills and routers, but I think he meant all new products.
Gary Curtis
No, this is not correct. I think your rep is confusing the new C12 motor with other cordless drills, but nonetheless, it is not an induction motor. See my technical review of the C12 at the Festool website.
http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/C12_technical_review.pdf
============
============
I have both the ATF55 and TS55 saws. For photography, I have been swapping the sawblades on the new TS saw frequently. Tonight, I realized one of the blades I needed for a picture was installed on the AFT saw. When I went to remove the blade from the ATF saw, I realized how "spoiled" I had become with the TS 55.

I had been swapping blades in less than 60 seconds without giving it a moment's thought, until I had to remove the blade from the ATF saw. I suddenly realized how easy blade changing was on the TS saw!

The TS saw has a lot of other features, but I am not willing to spend the next 2-hours writing a lengthy reply about them. This one feature caught my attention tonight, so I mentioned it.

Ian Barley
11-21-2005, 4:28 AM
But Ian, you would probably also have considered the ATF 55 to be "a thing of great beauty" had you owned one.
You are completely correct Frank. I wasn't really making a comparison because I couldn't. I still stand by the basic gist that for an extra $75odd I would go for the latest model.

Frank Pellow
11-21-2005, 7:49 AM
...if I go with the TS 55 then I will get the opportunity to purchase from Bob Marino.

Eric
Once you have any Festool product, you will not be able to stop at one, so you will have lots of opportunities to buy from Bob. :D