PDA

View Full Version : Book Stand.

Brian Jarnell
11-20-2005, 2:29 PM
SHMBO saw this pic in a magazine.
I wondered how they attached the boards to what looked to be a piecs of 4"by1.5".
Thanks chaps.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/brian1520/Save.jpg

lou sansone
11-20-2005, 3:31 PM
I wonder how they got those fold lines in the brick wall as well ;)

lou

Andy Hoyt
11-20-2005, 3:34 PM
Check out those outlets:eek:

Brian Jarnell
11-20-2005, 4:24 PM
So how would you attach the boards that hold the books,so that they don't snap off.?
Re fold line,do not attempt this at home.:)

Brian Hale
11-20-2005, 4:40 PM
I'd slot the vertical board and slip the shelves in, with the grain of the shelves running front to back.

Brian

Lee DeRaud
11-20-2005, 4:53 PM
I'd slot the vertical board and slip the shelves in, with the grain of the shelves running front to back.And notch the shelves to fit around the post.

I'd also be tempted to stuff a dowel or lag screw through the post into the shelf from the back. Then again, each shelf is only holding, what, 3-4 books? Might not need it.

David Fried
11-20-2005, 4:59 PM
I'd slot the vertical board and slip the shelves in, with the grain of the shelves running front to back.

Brian

A cantilever beam. Sounds good. Lag bolts through the back into the shelves? (Lee beat me to it!)

The vertical piece may well be thicker than expected to supprt this although the load on each shelf seems to be minimal. Pretty slick.

The brick wall scares me! :eek: Faux brick? Brick wall in a can???

Dave

Brett Baldwin
11-20-2005, 5:05 PM
A sliding dovetail maybe? I'm not sure if it would have the strength by itself but that would be a slick look. A lot of work though for a relatively simple piece.

Brian Jarnell
11-20-2005, 7:05 PM
Thanks lads,confirmed my thinking.I would say at least an 1"rebate into back piece?
Does a lag bolt equate with coach screw?.

David Fried
11-20-2005, 8:04 PM
Thanks lads,confirmed my thinking.I would say at least an 1"rebate into back piece?
Does a lag bolt equate with coach screw?.

Yes. They are referred to as lag bolts, lag screws and coach screws depending on where you are and to whom you are speaking.:D

Brian Jarnell
11-20-2005, 8:09 PM
Thanks David.
I hadn't thought of running grain from back to front,obvious when you are pointed in the right direction,thanks for that Brian.