PDA

View Full Version : I don't really need another bench, however...........

Bob Glenn
06-19-2018, 10:33 AM
I found a woodworking bench on C/L. Looks to be five or six feet long, has a tool tray across the back, a face vise and tail vise, with the usual planing stop holes in the top which looks to be four inches thick. It looks like a professionally made bench in good condition. I've looked at several similar benches on line and they sell for 750 to 1500 dollars.

The seller just emailed me and it's still available about a half hour away. He is asking 125 dollars. Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture from C/L, but does it sound like a good deal?

ken hatch
06-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Bob,

Invest a half hour. Unless it was shop made I'll bet the slab isn't 4" but more like 1 1/2" with a 4" face. One other thought, many of the cheaper benches use non-standard dog holes. BTW, if the vises are good (better than Harbor Freight) they could be worth more than $125 USD.

ken

Bob Glenn
06-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Ken, that what I was thinking on the vises. The other thing to take into consideration is.......I don't really have ROOM for another bench! I'll report back my findings. Bob

ken hatch
06-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Ken, that what I was thinking on the vises. The other thing to take into consideration is.......I don't really have ROOM for another bench! I'll report back my findings. Bob

Bob,

I understand. My bench building jones is whispering in my ear to build a full size Moravian for the shop. The portable bench may need to live in the motorhome. It's that or sell a couple of 'em.

ken

Jim Koepke
06-19-2018, 12:55 PM
My reaction would be to jump in my truck and go take a look.

There would also be cash in my wallet for the trip.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
06-19-2018, 8:00 PM
A half-hour away? Come on man, you'd drive that far for decent tomatillo enchiladas, never mind a looksee at ww bench.

Jerry Olexa
06-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Go take a look.....Sounds interesting to me and a good value...

Bob Glenn
06-20-2018, 1:28 PM
Heading out this afternoon, cash in hand. If nothing else, I can use the vises on my shop built bench. The old tail vise I have now is racked. Youngest son is moving into a new house and losing the built in attached bench that I built for him. There's probably room in his new house for a nice bench.

Bob Glenn
06-20-2018, 6:52 PM
Never mind. Move along, nothing to see here!

Ken Hatch was right, the bench was about one inch thick with a three inch skirt and cheap vises, made in Indonesia. Probably worth the money, however, it would not come close to standing up to planing a board to size.

ken hatch
06-21-2018, 12:47 AM
Never mind. Move along, nothing to see here!

Ken Hatch was right, the bench was about one inch thick with a three inch skirt and cheap vises, made in Indonesia. Probably worth the money, however, it would not come close to standing up to planing a board to size.

Bob,

I figured that was what you would find but I also thought maybe the vises might be worthwhile. Oh well, it's a good time of the year for a drive.

ken

Bob Glenn
06-21-2018, 10:24 AM
I've been on a few wild goose chases before, the best was a 100 dollar Triumph Spitfire back in the 70's while in college. Drove that car for years then sold it for 200!