PDA

View Full Version : Why doI never see Greene and Greene furniture mentioned

lowell holmes
06-18-2018, 11:55 PM
in this group? We visited San Diego California back in the 70's and saw Greene and Greene furniture.

I don't remember seeing Greene & Greene mentioned in this news group. Here is an example of the furniture. I may have to make something like it.:)

Bruce Page
06-19-2018, 12:02 AM
Lowell, check out some of Glenn Bradley's beautiful work.

Rod Sheridan
06-19-2018, 7:58 AM
Lowell, I see it mentioned often, and some of my friends have made G&G furniture.

I prefer Stickley, however I really like some of the G&G furniture...........Rod.

Marshall Harrison
06-19-2018, 8:50 AM
Lowell, I see it mentioned often, and some of my friends have made G&G furniture.

I prefer Stickley, however I really like some of the G&G furniture...........Rod.

I prefer traditional Stickley furniture. A lot of the G&G is too ornate for my tastes.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-19-2018, 8:56 AM
I agree with Rod and Marshall.

Bill Dufour
06-19-2018, 10:08 AM
I prefer the house construction joinery and design to their furniture. I do like the way they screw breadboard ends on from the side not the bottom. I think Julia Morgan gets more press as she did a lot more projects in her life including San Simeon.
She did "the chapel of the chimes" in Oakland California where they have concerts inside the tombs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCaghNlCVs
Bill D.

Gamble house is the only one I could come up with off the top of my head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamble_House_(Pasadena,_California)

Matt Day
06-19-2018, 10:17 AM
It gets mentioned as much as the other styles I would guess.

Jim Becker
06-19-2018, 10:18 AM
There are a great number of posts and threads about G&G and other cousins in the SMC forums over the years!

lowell holmes
06-19-2018, 1:03 PM
I agree with most of the comments here. However, I think the style deserves recognition.

glenn bradley
06-19-2018, 1:46 PM
A few of mine for my own home in mahogany, walnut and sepele/sipo.

388056 . 388057

388058 . 388059

I do the dresser and chest of drawers in mahogany for most folks, cherry for some but, the cherry has to have the right setting or it looks odd IMHO.

Bill McNiel
06-19-2018, 2:02 PM
Every piece I've ever done has been influenced by the Brothers Greene, possibly due to having lived in the Gamble House for a school year.

Mac McQuinn
06-19-2018, 2:08 PM
I've applied some of G&G's design features on furniture and really like it. A visit to Pasadena's Fall Craftsman Heritage weekend will provide
a view of G&G's work including furniture, houses, blueprints, etc. A trip to the Gamble house is a must, IMO, as good as it gets if you're a fan. While I have
a house full of Stickley, G&G comes across as Art inspired, graceful, light and beautifully designed. A close up, in person viewing of a G&G original piece will leave you inspired IMO.

For me Stickley is more of a form follows function approach, very durable, very strong and depending on the piece, beautiful.

Mac

glenn bradley
06-19-2018, 4:44 PM
Every piece I've ever done has been influenced by the Brothers Greene, possibly due to having lived in the Gamble House for a school year.

Its official . . . I hate you :D.

I think you've told that story here but, I would love to hear it again; you lucky dog.

johnny means
06-19-2018, 8:19 PM
I think G&G never got Stickley level accolades because it was unashamedly production furniture. They specifically create affordable quality by making furniture easy to make. Pocket screws and false joinery turn many people off.

J.R. Rutter
06-19-2018, 8:40 PM
A few of mine for my own home in mahogany, walnut and sepele/sipo.

Very nice!

Rich Engelhardt
06-20-2018, 5:02 AM
A few of mine for my own home in mahogany, walnut and sepele/sipo.Ok --- Glenn, I seriously love that wall cabinet! Are there any plans for that or did you work that one up yourself?

Jacob Mac
06-20-2018, 8:55 AM
Ok --- Glenn, I seriously love that wall cabinet! Are there any plans for that or did you work that one up yourself?

Dale Barnard has a DVD on popular woodworking site that is similar. Robert Lang has plans for one in his book that is also similar.

Dave Cav
06-20-2018, 2:09 PM
I just finished this:

It's Darrel Peart's Aurora Table Desk in alder made from a plan set from Lee Valley. It's more of a prototype (hence the alder) to work out some of the construction details and I'll eventually make another one in sapele. One detail I won't use again will be the loose spline tenon on the breadboards. I'll use conventional wide tenons as the loose splines allowed one breadboard to sag a bit.

Mac McQuinn
06-20-2018, 2:29 PM
Beautiful. I did a small table for my wife and utilized the same leg bottom detail.
I met Darrel in Pasadena few years ago, great guy, a real Craftsman.

Mac

I just finished this:

It's Darrel Peart's Aurora Table Desk in alder made from a plan set from Lee Valley. It's more of a prototype (hence the alder) to work out some of the construction details and I'll eventually make another one in sapele. One detail I won't use again will be the loose spline tenon on the breadboards. I'll use conventional wide tenons as the loose splines allowed one breadboard to sag a bit.

lowell holmes
06-20-2018, 3:22 PM
You impressed me. Nice Work!

Jim Morgan
06-20-2018, 4:53 PM
I just finished this:

Nice, but did you use the requisite "pocket screws and false joinery"?

glenn bradley
06-20-2018, 7:46 PM
Ok --- Glenn, I seriously love that wall cabinet! Are there any plans for that or did you work that one up yourself?

That one was inspired by a lovely piece done by Dale Barnard. If you Google "Greene and Greene Wall Cabinet" you will find him. Really beautiful work.

I really had fun with the pull on that one.

glenn bradley
06-20-2018, 7:50 PM
I just finished this:

Well done Dave. I love that Blacker Leg treatment. I even used it on my dog's feed station.

Pecan to match the kitchen stuff.

Mac McQuinn
06-20-2018, 9:04 PM
Now that's over the top, what kinda Pooch?

Mac

Well done Dave. I love that Blacker Leg treatment. I even used it on my dog's feed station.

Pecan to match the kitchen stuff.

Bill Carey
06-20-2018, 9:31 PM
that wall cabinet is beautiful. Very well done. But a question: what are the arrows in my picture pointing to? A shadow line? Something added to the left side? Was it photographed in a curved corner?
Just curious. But a stunning cabinet - I love it.

Bill Carey
06-20-2018, 9:53 PM
that wall cabinet is beautiful. Very well done. But a question: what are the arrows in my picture pointing to? A shadow line? Something added to the left side? Was it photographed in a curved corner?
Just curious. But a stunning cabinet - I love it.

nd, of course, I forgot to attach the pic. Here it is.
a

Rich Engelhardt
06-21-2018, 8:42 AM
Dale Barnard has a DVD on popular woodworking site that is similar. Robert Lang has plans for one in his book that is also similar.Thanks!

That one was inspired by a lovely piece done by Dale Barnard. If you Google "Greene and Greene Wall Cabinet" you will find him. Really beautiful work.
And thanks again! (beautiful work BTW)

glenn bradley
06-21-2018, 9:37 AM
nd, of course, I forgot to attach the pic. Here it is.
a

Ha-ha, that does look odd. It is just camera flash shadow. I am a low skill picture taker :o

glenn bradley
06-21-2018, 9:40 AM
Now that's over the top, what kinda Pooch?

Mac

A very relaxed Bull mix.

Bill Carey
06-21-2018, 10:08 AM
but a high skill woodworker. Great cabinet

Bill McNiel
06-21-2018, 2:09 PM
Its official . . . I hate you :D.

I think you've told that story here but, I would love to hear it again; you lucky dog.

Glen,
The Gamble house was, and I believe still is, owned/managed/maintained jointly by the City of Pasadena and The University of Southern California School of Architecture. As a 5th year Architecture student with economic challenges I was selected to live in the house for my final year. I had no real responsibilities other than acting as a vandel/theft deterrent and infrequently filling in as a tour guide when a real Docent was not available on a weekend. I lived in what was the Maid's Room off the Kitchen and was restricted from entertaining guests (imagine being 21, living there and not having your friends or girls over).

On the other hand, being immersed in one of the ultimate examples of Stick & Shingle/Craftsman Style architecture and furnishings had an enduring impact on my design aesthetic. I can't begin to estimate the hours spent observing, fondling and learning to understand what and how the brothers created in this devine place. It melded so intrinsically with the Pacific Rim/Asian influence of my upbringing.

Note- Glen can you really hate someone who has so much respect and admiration for your own creations? You, as much as anyone, comprehend the G&G style. Your pieces are not reproductions, they are original pieces that creatively embrace a most pleasing design style that honors the craftsmen and materials. Come on Brother, I know you love me.

lowell holmes
06-21-2018, 4:34 PM
Showoff glenn:)

lowell holmes
06-21-2018, 4:39 PM
We visited San Diego some years back and went to the Gamble house. I would like to go again.

Mac McQuinn
06-21-2018, 9:14 PM
A dog with a G&G feeding station is a dog with class, feed him well!
Mac

A very relaxed Bull mix.

Tom Bender
06-22-2018, 6:53 PM
Whenever I can I work in the G & G style. Had to raise my game.

I highly recommend taking the woodworker's tour of the Gamble House.

Lee Schierer
06-23-2018, 1:34 PM
Here is a Greene and Greene project. (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?259109-Dining-Table-Inspired-by-the-Greene-amp-Greene-Thorsen-House-Table)

Robert Cherry
06-23-2018, 2:25 PM
Here is a Greene and Greene project. (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?259109-Dining-Table-Inspired-by-the-Greene-amp-Greene-Thorsen-House-Table)

Lee, you beat me to that post by 30 minutes! LOL. Personally I prefer the G&G style over the more traditional Stickley A&C style primarily because it feels more refined to me. Clearly Charles Greene was heavily influenced by traditional A&C furniture, especially in his earlier work. There is a definite Asian influence in his later work, which to my eye adds a softer more refined look to the work.

Certainly the G&G style is not for everyone, but as woodworkers it is worth a visit to the Gamble house in Pasadena as well as the Huntington Library Museum. The museum has an impressive collection of G&G work that is displayed in a way that you can get very close and study the details. Regardless if you like the style or not there is no denying that the craftsmanship coming from the Hall brothers shop was extraordinary.

Here is is a photo of the crest rail from one of the Gamble house chairs on display at the Huntington. The detail and amount of work in this is only apparent when you view the piece from just the right angle. I have found that this very subtle detail work a common thread with G&G furniture.

Its easy to see see why this furniture was so expensive. I read somewhere that the furniture for a G&G home cost more than a typical house of the time.

Mike Cutler
06-23-2018, 5:04 PM
Here is a link to a Greene and Greene style window frame I built some time back.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?60965-Greene-amp-Greene-Stained-Glass-Window&highlight=

I don't specifically like to "copy" a period design style in whole. I like to take elements of the design style and work them into what I do. This window was an exception. I stayed very much to form with it.
I'd like to remake it now simply because my skill sets have improved since then, and I know I could execute it better, but it's still beautiful to this day.
I am probably more a Limbert fan, than Greene and Greene.

Dave Cav
06-23-2018, 6:38 PM
Its easy to see see why this furniture was so expensive. I read somewhere that the furniture for a G&G home cost more than a typical house of the time.

When we did the Gamble house tour the first time, the last stop was David Gamble's office on the front of the house. Apparently he decided after the house was finished he needed an office, but the furniture is typical for the period, not G&G. The docent said Mr Gamble specifically said not to call the Greene brothers to design the office as it would cost too much.