PDA

View Full Version : Wood Wrights Eclectic Work Shop

lowell holmes
06-17-2018, 3:48 PM
There is a plastic tub of books in my garage workshop that contains some of my woodworking books. It is where my books were stored when the
Hurricane Harvey flood hit. I have always been a Roy Underhill fan and found his book "The Wood Wright's Eclectic Workshop". It was published
in 1991. I really enjoy his banter, humor, and knowledge. It is a coffee table book and will reside there while I read a chapter or two for entertainment.

The tub is now in my computer room book shelf.

steven c newman
06-17-2018, 9:05 PM
As I recall, Roy had something like 6 books out ( have read all 6, too)....some are "workbooks"

John K Jordan
06-17-2018, 9:13 PM
I have a set of his books too and also found them entertaining.

JKJ

Alan Schwabacher
06-17-2018, 9:33 PM
I like his books too, but they are more fascinating agglomerations of tidbits than straightforward exposition. His most recent Wedge and Edge one is much more organized, which I assume is his daughter's doing.

Joe Rogers
06-18-2018, 8:14 AM
Roy appeared at a local Woodcraft show and I conned a day off from work to attend. Bought his book and Roy autographed it on the spot. I admire him and his point of view and reread the book often.
Joe

Richard Hutchings
06-18-2018, 8:39 AM
I'm jealous. That must have been awesome. Was he wearing his TV clothes?

Roy appeared at a local Woodcraft show and I conned a day off from work to attend. Bought his book and Roy autographed it on the spot. I admire him and his point of view and reread the book often.
Joe

John Kananis
06-18-2018, 2:49 PM
I got to meet him at a Lie-Nielsen open house a few years back (he did the presentation that year). Always been a huge fan of his work (both woodworking and the way he teaches) and I'm really happy to have met him.

lowell holmes
06-18-2018, 5:16 PM
I met Roy on a Williamsburg trip many years ago. We were both still pups then. :)

He doesn't remember me, but I sure remember him.
He is as friendly in person as he is on TV.

Jerry Olexa
06-18-2018, 10:25 PM
I admire/respect his work....

Stephen Rosenthal
06-19-2018, 2:05 AM
Check out his TED Talk on YouTube - “Have Broad Axe Will Travel.”

Bob Glenn
06-19-2018, 10:25 AM
We were in Williamsburg a few years ago attending the Woodworking in the Eighteenth Century conference. Roy was the after dinner speaker at the annual dinner. We were all waiting outside the dining hall waiting for the doors to open. Roy came out, axe in hand raised above his head shouting, "These are my people, let them in!" Always the showman. You gotta love him.

Tony Zaffuto
06-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Roy was at the annual PATINA show a few years back, prior to his opening his school. He was dressed in normal street clothes, and was pretty much incognito until someone let his identity known. He may have had about two minutes of torture, but after that, everyone was back to their tool hunt.

David Justice
06-21-2018, 1:19 AM
Being from NC, I have met Roy and taken several classes at the Woodright's School. He's a top notch teacher of hand tool woodworking. He's also very giving of his knowledge and time, every class I attended lasted well into the evening.

Zach Dillinger
06-21-2018, 11:18 AM
From time to time, I go through periods where I lose interest in woodwork. All I have to do is pick up one of his books (my favorite is The Woodwright's Companion) and I snap right back to work.

Roy did the forward for my book and I was lucky enough to be a featured presenter with him at Woodworking in America a couple years back. He is a national treasure.

Joe Rogers
06-21-2018, 3:52 PM
I'm jealous. That must have been awesome. Was he wearing his TV clothes?
Just the hat.
Joe

Joe Rogers
06-21-2018, 3:56 PM
Roy was at the annual PATINA show a few years back, prior to his opening his school. He was dressed in normal street clothes, and was pretty much incognito until someone let his identity known. He may have had about two minutes of torture, but after that, everyone was back to their tool hunt.
I was there for that too. IIRC he was shopping for pig stickers to use in his classes.
Joe

Pete Taran
06-21-2018, 4:39 PM
From back in the day....